Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive done "basic" car stereo for several years and have always wanted to be more advanced and get into the custom line. Here is the first custom project Ive done. It's molding a monitor into the dash (upper glove box) of a 2009 Tundra. These are some build pictures, I'll hopefully get some pictures of the completed install up tonight. PLEASE tell me what you think and any comments, suggestions. Thanks!! I really look forward to hearing your feedback. Good and bad :)

• Fitting the template
  • Cut out and fit of monitor trim
  • Trim Glued in place
  • First of 4 layers of bondo
  • Final sanding of Bondo
  • Glazed and sanded
  • Primed and test fitted

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! I wish I would have gone bigger; however when I was looking at options I wanted to ensure I had enough of the original structure to work with. The monitor I used is a 7" "headrest" monitor. I could have gone up to a 9" or maybe a little larger. This install was on a friends truck, when I do mine (also an '09 Tundra SR5) I will probably go up to at least a 9"

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marky Mark already did this with a much bigger monitor, I think a 9 inch? Looks good!
Thanks. This is my first attempt at anything such as this; Im sure I could have gone bigger but wanted to make sure I did a good job on it as it was on a friends truck. Im sure someone w/ more experience at such things could have done more w/ it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
what about the airbag? You didn't cover that did you?!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Rep points sent. Always cool to see people try stuff out their comfort level

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The upper glove box I used for the monitor was removable and when I took it out there were no sign of the airbag anywhere. Therefore I believe its fully confined in the "upper" portion of the dash above the upper glovebox. Hope Im right :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
That looks very nice. I feel that maybe this is something I could. Do you mind if I ask what brand you used? Did you hook it up to a head unit or is it stand alone?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the air bag has nothing to do with the upper glove box. the airbag is in the top of the dash....

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
And if the airbag blows open will it peel that monitor down and drive it into your lap at 100 mph? I think i'll pass on this mod. :td:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That looks very nice. I feel that maybe this is something I could. Do you mind if I ask what brand you used? Did you hook it up to a head unit or is it stand alone?
I was kind of timid at first; but alot of time and patience and overall it was not too bad at all. There are some things I learned along the way that Im sure could have saved me some time. I went w/ a Boss 7" headrest monitor hooked up the newly installed Kenwood DNX7140 for the source. But I have to admit the picture quality of the Boss is no where near that of the Kenwood. I kind of wish now I would have gone w/ a higher quality monitor. However as it was my first attempt I didnt want to take the chance of messing up an expensive high end monitor. If I messed up the Boss it wouldnt be too bad.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Look nice! At least you use your friend for testing the project first. LOL

I'd bet when you're ready to do yours.. it will be super!

Great job!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The comment stating that the monitor will blow into your lap at 100mph ?????? So your saying anything I place in my upper glove box is bound to impale me if the airbag deploys?
This has nothing to do nor affect the airbags performance!

Secondly it is always smart to try new ideas on your buddies truck first, this way when you fudge it all up, you'll know this isn't the mod for you..lol

Looks good, I think 9" monitor would look great wouldn't go much bigger.

Does this monitor play while your driving or only in park like our in dash dvd/stereo units?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
And if the airbag blows open will it peel that monitor down and drive it into your lap at 100 mph? I think i'll pass on this mod. :td:
Do you know where the airbag is? The airbag on the passenger side is located in the top of the dash and when it goes off, splits the top of the dash open, clears the glove box(s) and protects the passenger. Random parts of the car don't come flying out. Therefore if a TV is installed in the aforementioned random part it doesn't come flying out.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Your logic isn't even close to being accurate...

First of all, the airbag is way above where the glovebox is located. It's designed to split open the dash, not the glovebox.

Second, in their promotional material, Toyota shows that upper glovebox chock full of SHARP, POINTY TOOLS...like, screwdrivers. Do you really think they would design a compartment for sharp objects that would be affected by a deploying airbag?

Come on people...I am all for pooh-poohing things and you're welcome to "pass on the mod", but just think things through before replying when you're accusing people of being unsafe. :dry3d:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Your logic isn't even close to being accurate...

First of all, the airbag is way above where the glovebox is located. It's designed to split open the dash, not the glovebox.

Second, in their promotional material, Toyota shows that upper glovebox chock full of SHARP, POINTY TOOLS...like, screwdrivers. Do you really think they would design a compartment for sharp objects that would be affected by a deploying airbag?

Come on people...I am all for pooh-poohing things and you're welcome to "pass on the mod", but just think things through before replying when you're accusing people of being unsafe. :dry3d:

1.) I did think it through. I wasn't "accusing" anyone of being unsafe, I simply asked a question. Now I will do some accusing. The dash was not designed to have a monitor there and I wondered what would happen if the damn thing blew open. And you wishing that the airbag won't push the monitor out of place is foolish. Just how strongly did it get mounted? That's right you dont have a clue.

2.) And exactly where is your proof of this..."It's designed to split open the dash, not the glovebox." Is it possible he cut some of the plastic away when he shoved the monitor in the dash? Obviously. Did that alter the engineered spliting of the material so the effects are now completely unknown? Yep.

3.) There's a hell of a difference between marketing people and engineers who design and test airbag deployment. Your saying that "they designed a compartment for sharp objects" is pretty idiotic. It's not designed for sharp objects because if you had any type of serious accident the little plastic latch would possibly pop open and all of those sharp objects would be flying around in the cabin. Have you ever been in a side impact collision? All sorts of things fly around the cabin, not fun. Besides, if you're on a steep hill and open it the junk might all slide out into your lap too. Definitely NOT designed for sharp pointly objects.

Perhaps you trust your face or your wife's face to Toyota's "promotional material" pictures but I sure as hell won't. What he did should scare the hell out of anyone who sits there. Especially me cause I'm a big chicken anyway.

Thanks for listening. :argue:

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Looks good - what are you going to use to paint it??? I'd like to see the finished product, and see how well it matches the stock color.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Second post in a row in which everything you wrote is wrong.

The airbag comes out of the dash, it does not come out of the glove box. It does not push the box around or pop it opened or anything like that. It deploys from the top of the dash and comes down in front of the glove boxes. The slow-motion footage of it is readily available online.

The airbag will absolutely, certainly, by design protect the driver from the monitor.

You seem to believe that the OP mounted the monitor in the dash and that he cut away plastic from the dash:

" Is it possible he cut some of the plastic away when he shoved the monitor in the dash? Obviously."

Do you even own a Tundra? Are you aware it has 2 glove boxes? The OP clearly mounted the monitor in the GLOVE BOX. Not in the dash.

Epic, epic fail.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts