1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Now for the crappy part, you must take the key to the dealership to have it programmed. They have to use the techstream computer to program it and it will likely cost between 70-150 even with the key. There may be a locksmith that has the techstream, but it's not likely.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how did the guy that had it before me have a "strattec" key?

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
So how did the guy that had it before me have a "strattec" key?
Probably the same way. He had the dealer program it into the truck. The engine immobilizer will recognize three keys but their chip ID has to be put into the immobilizer ECU.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Danget man - I was hoping I could just get a programmed key and have it cut at Lowe's or somewhere similar.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
It doesn't make any difference who cuts the key, but it requires a Techstream to enter the chip ID into the immobilizer ECU.
You can tell if it's working by watching the blinking light on the dash. As soon as you put the key in the ignition it will stop flashing if the key is recognized, You could try the key on the outside chance that the Strattec keys all have the same ID number but they are not supposed to do that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got ya - yea I saw that blinking light. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's been a while since anyone has posted to this thread, but I have received information today that may be helpful. I have a 2010 Tundra and 2010 Sequoia. Recently I lost the key to the Sequoia and I have been looking for ways to replace it. Just having a Techstream may not be enough. I contacted the Techstream tech support people and was told that a special locksmith license with an ID number is required and will need to be entered in the Techstream to work. I was also told that some locksmiths in the area may be able to do this. Turns out a local locksmith can do this for $120. My dealer charges $36.24 for the key and they required my VIN to make sure I got the right key. If you order from an online site, you will need to know ahead of time if you have a "dot" or a "G" on the blade. One example is carandtruckremotes.com which sells one for $29.95. My dealer will cut the key for $10, and labor for programming is $49 for a total of $95.24. Turned out to be cheaper than the locksmith, even the locksmith was surprised. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just added the All-In-One remote to my '12 Tundra, Techstream on my laptop was able to program the immobilizer and remote to the truck. Total Cost $50 for All-in-One key (you can find the seller in this forum), $4 to have locksmith cut key, and about 10 minutes of time using techstream software in my driveway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts