Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after searching the site it seems like the only lifting option is the bilstein 5100. So wanting to lift the truck and get 285 under it, it seems like you need a 2.5 lift. Is that right? Will the 2" lift from toyotec work? Is that toytec a good way to go or should I source the shocks else where.
As for the different part # of the 5100's which is the way to go so I can still haul weight in the truck.

Can 285's be put under the truck with stock 16" rims?

I know I know there are millions of posts about this but all are vague and filtering thru the info is more confusing than...

I am sure since I am new and asking a redundant question many will flip me s*&t but its worth it for information, so please go easy.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing (also new). I want a diff drop, fifth notch 5100's with my trd springs in the front. Toytec 1.5" aal with 5100's in the rear. I want to replace my stock 16's with some kind of black 17's. From the hours of reading I've done I think the rims need <4.5" of backspacing to run 295/70R17 toyo oc mt. Is this right? Is anyone running a tire/suspension setup like this? Will the diff drop allow me to use the fifth notch without cv problems? PS me and a buddy are going to build an armour bumper for the front with a warn 9000lbs winch so will the trd springs ride high enough with the extra weight or should I go with toytec coilovers with 700#+ springs installed. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here is what I got/experienced. I have an 06 DC TRD Limited. I also wanted to put 295's on it, but with the advice I got from TS members, I went with 285's to avoid any serious rubbing issues. I put on Bilstein 5100 adjustables set at the highest setting with my stock TRD springs. I also went to a 17" x 8" rim with 4.5mm backspacing. Did the hose clamp mod over top of the existing clamps and also put in a differential drop kit. Everything fits and works perfectly.

The only thing I have not yet done is put on a rear lift (still debating between AAL & Blocks). My truck needs it as I have a bit more height in the front that the back.

Here is my rig:

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing (also new). I want a diff drop, fifth notch 5100's with my trd springs in the front. Toytec 1.5" aal with 5100's in the rear. I want to replace my stock 16's with some kind of black 17's. From the hours of reading I've done I think the rims need <4.5" of backspacing to run 295/70R17 toyo oc mt. Is this right? Is anyone running a tire/suspension setup like this? Will the diff drop allow me to use the fifth notch without cv problems? PS me and a buddy are going to build an armour bumper for the front with a warn 9000lbs winch so will the trd springs ride high enough with the extra weight or should I go with toytec coilovers with 700#+ springs installed. Thanks
I have a 2000 tundra with 17x8 wheels with 4.5" backspacing, running a 285/70 and I personally would stick with that size for a couple reasons, price is a huge differnce for an extra 10mm width and 5mm or so height, 285's are way more common to get too if you ever need to replace one.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree 285 are probably cheaper, but can they fit with the stock rim?

Also is it wise to use the stock coils with the lift or do you need to go the more $$ route and get new coils with the shocks?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
If you are going to use the stock rim, you will need spydertrax wheel adapters to push them out. The backspace is too deep on stock rims to run lifted with wider tires. The tires will hit the UCA. Stock coils will work just fine.

Cletus,
me and a buddy are going to build an armour bumper for the front with a warn 9000lbs winch so will the trd springs ride high enough with the extra weight or should I go with toytec coilovers with 700#+ springs installed.

if you are going to put a heavy front bumper on, get the 700lbs springs but only if you are sure about the bumper. You will still need the CV boot mod even with the diff drop, it's just a couple hose clamps. Won't cost more than $5 at a hardware store and take you 10 minutes to put on. Stick to 285 tires.

Accrockett, great looking truck.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
So after searching the site it seems like the only lifting option is the bilstein 5100.
It gets a lot of press because it's the least expensive, most effective, easiest, highest performance option in it's class...as a matter of fact, it's really in a class of its own, since it offers a little more travel, slightly stiffer dampening, high pressure nitrogen charge, good oil volume, and if you get the Toytec adaptation, you can mount any straight-wound coil to it.

So wanting to lift the truck and get 285 under it, it seems like you need a 2.5 lift. Is that right? Will the 2" lift from toyotec work? Is that toytec a good way to go or should I source the shocks else where.
As for the different part # of the 5100's which is the way to go so I can still haul weight in the truck.
Call Bilstein and ask about part numbers. Up to 2002, IIRC, can run a 285/75/16 on 16x8 with 4.5" backspacing, with only a minor amount of trimming on the plastic of the front bumper, at about 2" of lift in front. It'll still rub offroad, but onroad it should work. The bumper was a little lower-profile on the earlier models.

The 2" lift from Toytec, with the new coils, is a good kit. Get it, if you need a higher spring rate to carry more weight (bumper, winch, more stuff)...use your stock coils and the regular 5100 kit from anywhere, if you don't need the load handling ability of a stiffer spring.

Can 285's be put under the truck with stock 16" rims?
No. However, you can use a similar height tire, 255/85/16, on the stock rims...and they will rub less than 285/75/16.

If you are planning to go offroad, pick up a set of 16x8 wheels, with backspacing between 3.5-4.5". That wheel can take up to a 12.5" wide tire...like the 315/75/16 I've been running for almost six years now...and it will allow a 285/75/16 tire to fit on the stock suspension without rubbing the arms. Offroad, you want as much rubber between the rim and the rocks, and tires are less expensive for 16" wheels anyway.

The TRD springs will not carry the weight of a bumper and winch. I'd recommend a 700# spring, but personally I wouldn't put that weight over the standard valving on the 5100 shocks...rebound feels a little soft to me, and that's with no additional weight. I can easily imagine blowing through the travel with the additional weight. Take a look at Icons, or Camburg's version of the Swayaway. FWIW, I have a pair of 700x16 Kings, I'd let them go for a decent price, but honestly I don't know if they'll fit on the shocks you'd be using.

To be brutally honest, discard any desires for wheels and tires until after the suspension and drivetrain has been completely addressed...the money you'll spend on 17" wheels and tires would be better spent on upper control arms, extended coilovers, and 930 CV boots. That is a very, very effective setup.

Also is it wise to use the stock coils with the lift or do you need to go the more $$ route and get new coils with the shocks?
Use stock coils, unless you plan on adding a heavy bumper, a winch, or carrying a lot of weight.

So should you run spacers up front or in the front and the rear?
Don't run them unless you need them. Personally, I'd rather hear about new wheels at the correct width and backspacing first, then mounting 255/85/16 on stock wheels, and only as a last resort would I recommend an adapter. They take a little more babysitting than a wheel alone.

-Sean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts