Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a while since this discussion:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/119568-warm-air-intake/#post855828

But I'm a little bored. I took the stock intake tube off my 4.0 V6 today and drove around a bit. Seemed a little peppier and I really like the sound my truck made.

I'm not interested in a true warm air intake where you pipe close to the manifold. But, when I took my intake tube off the fender well I noticed a couple of things.

First: The 4.0 intake is really well designed. It is a true cold air intake and basically works like a snorkel. I doubt I can improve on it.

Second: One minor design element intrigued me. The fender attachment has an air scoop on it, but this scoop faces backward. I assume to keep water and debris out if it was to enter the shrouded wheel well. This scoop faces a plastic wall and is very close to it. I believe Toyota engineers are smarter than me. So don't get me wrong, but it's like playing the lottery. I just want there to be some restriction:loco:

Third: I don't know much about exhaust theory. Just what I have read here. But it seems to me, that the benefits of less restriction would outweigh the benefits of cold air. Especially in the type of driving that I do. Hardly ever at WOT.

So here is my plan:
I'm going to Lowes. I'm making a fence for the filter box just to keep big stuff from getting sucked in and tearing the filter. And then I'm going to watch the scangauge like a hawk.

Tell me if this is idiotic and I'll revert to stock. But, if nothing else, it sure sounds better.

pictures to follow...

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Re: quasi-wai

It has been a while since this discussion:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/119568-warm-air-intake/#post855828

But I'm a little bored. I took the stock intake tube off my 4.0 V6 today and drove around a bit. Seemed a little peppier and I really like the sound my truck made.

I'm not interested in a true warm air intake where you pipe close to the manifold. But, when I took my intake tube off the fender well I noticed a couple of things.

First: The 4.0 intake is really well designed. It is a true cold air intake and basically works like a snorkel. I doubt I can improve on it.

Second: One minor design element intrigued me. The fender attachment has an air scoop on it, but this scoop faces backward. I assume to keep water and debris out if it was to enter the shrouded wheel well. This scoop faces a plastic wall and is very close to it. I believe Toyota engineers are smarter than me. So don't get me wrong, but it's like playing the lottery. I just want there to be some restriction:loco:

Third: I don't know much about exhaust theory. Just what I have read here. But it seems to me, that the benefits of less restriction would outweigh the benefits of cold air. Especially in the type of driving that I do. Hardly ever at WOT.

So here is my plan:
I'm going to Lowes. I'm making a fence for the filter box just to keep big stuff from getting sucked in and tearing the filter. And then I'm going to watch the scangauge like a hawk.

Tell me if this is idiotic and I'll revert to stock. But, if nothing else, it sure sounds better.

pictures to follow...
The less restriction / cold air issue really depends on the magnitudes of both. How about finding a way to get both reduced restriction and cold air? :tu:

The best thing to bear in mind is that you must quantify the effects of any change you do. Dragstrip. GTech, dyno. Relying on sound and/or the infamous
dyno may not yield the desired result, and can even set you back a ways. :cry:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

true... I agree. I won't have any scientific data. I like the butt smiley. Made me laugh. Just got back from Lowes. Again if nothing else it will be louder:)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

failed:(
wrong sized plumbing:mad:
next time I'll take a tape:thumb:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Here is some experience to mull over.

I modified the intake so the draw was not from the fender but through a clothes dryer hose from the air box straight to a space next to the radiator. At the same time I wrapped the box with foil backed insulation.

Result: Initally, I calculated maybe 1/2 MPG improvement.
When I cleaned the Amsoil foam air filter every 30,000 miles it was filthy and almost muddy with much more particlate matter consisting of bugs, hay, leaves and junk than ever before. Took more time and soap to wash and re-oil it.

The experience part.....this was on my 98 Dakota that has 623,000 miles on the original engine and transmission, and I did this almost 300,000 miles ago.

If I get bored with a pretty, clean engine on my Tundra, I might insulate the air intake, but considering the engine rarely needs maximum air flow because it lives at 2,000 RPM's I see no point spending money on the intake. I'd rather put it to better use trading.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could do everyone a favor and maybe make it quieter :tu:
I'll do that:puke:

Here is some experience to mull over.

I modified the intake so the draw was not from the fender but through a clothes dryer hose from the air box straight to a space next to the radiator. At the same time I wrapped the box with foil backed insulation.

Result: Initally, I calculated maybe 1/2 MPG improvement.
When I cleaned the Amsoil foam air filter every 30,000 miles it was filthy and almost muddy with much more particlate matter consisting of bugs, hay, leaves and junk than ever before. Took more time and soap to wash and re-oil it.

The experience part.....this was on my 98 Dakota that has 623,000 miles on the original engine and transmission, and I did this almost 300,000 miles ago.

If I get bored with a pretty, clean engine on my Tundra, I might insulate the air intake, but considering the engine rarely needs maximum air flow because it lives at 2,000 RPM's I see no point spending money on the intake. I'd rather put it to better use trading.
I drove around today with an open box (no cold air pipe). I drove in several different situations. What I noticed was over time I had to press on the gas a lot more to move at lower rpms. The truck even hesitated a couple of times. So I'm back to stock. My truck did not like this the longer the box was open. Also, without the stock cold air intake, the intake temp on my Scanguage was running about 115 degrees. I got home and put the intake hose back on and the temp dropped to 100 degrees in about 30 seconds. I did think it would be cool to add a stainless race filter to the stock box. Just clamp it on and let it hang out in the engine:
http://blinglights.com/shopbling/store/catalog/intake_filter.jpg

But it was 50 bucks. Bottom line, is 4.0 intake is pretty darn good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts