Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I read some other posts but I wanted to make sure... I want to buy this 2003 toyota tundra trd 4x4 with 105,000 kms... I took it for a test drive and everything was good, I really liked it alot and was thinking about buying it but when I turn on 4x4 hi its fine kicks in quick and all that. When I turn 4x4 hi off going about 15-20 kmh in a straight line and it clunks and I feel it like I just hit something. I asked alot of people and said either coast or stop to turn it off but I would like to ask the toyota owners on here to assure me its fine! I will be taking it for one more test drive to test everything before the decision is made. thanks in advance !!!!!! :ts:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I always coast when engaging or disengaging 4x4. If you are on the gas you risk damage in my opinion but the manual states you can do it as long as both front and rear wheels are moving same speed. As for your clunk, mine does it too and it has 60000 miles. (although its very light and doesn't jerk the truck or anything. Its hard to compare my to yours as im not sure how bad yours is doing it in relation to how my truck behaves) I recently had everything services on mine and my mechanic told me it all looked good so i wouldn't worry. Just coast, go slow, and in a straight line.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 2000 AC does the exact same thing. Unless I am coasting very slowly I hear a clunk and feel it as well. I was alarmed at first, but since everything works fine, I am no longer worried about it. I just don't disengage 4wd under power and the clunking and "going over a bump" sensation is much less pronounced.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
My '01 does that too. I used to worry about it but when I read all the posts on here about how this happens a lot, I felt a lot better. I don't think there's a Tundra out there that doesn't do that. The little card on your sun visor states you can go in and out of 4wd at any speed under 60mph. I've definitely noticed it clunks louder when you have your foot on the gas, but you can still do it... If I'm at a full stop, sometimes the 4wd won't disengage at all until I move forward or back a little bit, and it clunks almost every time... One thing I've tried is to bring the RPMs up above 3000, lift my foot off the gas to coast, and then disengage. This seems to help smooth it out a bit... but it still clunks sometimes, so I just don't worry about it anymore. You just need to make sure you're not trying to engage or disengage 4wd while turning, going too fast, or under a heavy load.

Just watch out for frame rust. That is the number one thing to look for on these Tundras when buying used. I did not know about this and I realized it had quite a bit of rust the very next day after I bought it. I was bummed about it, but so far it has not affected the way my truck drives at all. I got a pretty good deal on my truck so I didn't complain, but had I noticed this before, I would have haggled the seller even more. Also the brakes seem to be under engineered. I will be upgrading my brakes to an aftermarket like Brembo when the time comes, which will be soon. Other than that, I think you can rest easy knowing that you're buying a very reliable truck that will not let you down.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I am somewhat happy to report that my 2004 has the same "clunk" that everyone else does when getting out of 4WD.

Like everyone else, I usually accelerate then coast before pushing the 4WD button to disengage and it helps a bit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
They reason you are hearing the clunk is because you don't use your 4WD enough. When i don't, mine clunks too. I think when we don't use 4WD often it does not stay properly lubricated in the transfer case and "clunks" in and out when engaged/ disengaged. But when I use 4WD a lot, i notice the clunking sound diminishes and eventually goes away -- until I don't use it for a while of course.

:tu::tu::tu::tu:

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok well when I give it a second test drive I will try and bring the rpms up then coast then turn it off. For the rust it looks really good otherwise I wouldnt even bother with it, also we do only have winter for about 6 months and its summer now of course so I couldnt see the guy using 4x4 all that much right now lol.. but anyways thanks all for the replies it makes me feel even better about possibly buying it now!!! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No matter the weather you are supposed to do that? even on dry cement in summer? I guess it would make sense to keep it from getting cobwebs :p

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
No matter the weather you are supposed to do that? even on dry cement in summer? I guess it would make sense to keep it from getting cobwebs :p
The weather and season is not going to affect anything. You can put it in 4wd on dry pavement but only if you're going to be driving in a relatively straight line. DO NOT make any tight turns on dry pavement with your 4wd engaged! You'll be doing more harm than good if you do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've found that stopping and putting in neutral before disengaging eliminates the clunk, especially if I haven't used the 4WD recently. Otherwise I try to coast straight ahead when engaging/disengaging. After turning I make sure to drive forward a hundred feet or so on a loose surface before disengaging to let the wheels slip and unwind any built up stress. Pushed the button once after turning from a field onto dry pavement and it sounded like something broke!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I get the clunk as well, sometimes more pronounced than others, but it does seem to relate as to how much I've been using 4WD too. I would not be concerned.

Yes, 10 miles per month in 4WD to keep the gears lubed. I was coming off a trail last weekend and I hit the button to turn off 4 HI, but I must have missed. I did not notice until at least a mile later as I was in a cul-de-sac turning when I heard a loud clunk and the 4 HI light started blinking! Fuuuuudge! I tried to turn it off but it stayed blinking. So I googled it and found a post on TS to drive backwards slowly when the light blinks. I did this and it went off. No issues since, have been in and out of 4 HI and 4 LO. Hope I didn't mess anyhting up.

CB.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all again for the responses! Your feedback is very appreciated!!!! I feel really good about this truck... so we will see what happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts