Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parking break seems a little weak. I noticed the cable to one rear wheel sagging a little. The beelcranks are not frozen -- see photos. Seems like when I drive my rear breaks are not working as well as they should. I have photos I posted at Photobucket that I will link here.

Scoob

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
You didn't post a question.

It looks to me like you are getting uneven wear on the shoes, you have a significant amount of rust buildup on the drum's inside mounting surface, and you have quite a bit of corrosion on your e-brake bell cranks.

Go back to my earlier reply to you about brakes in the Gen-1 forum. It has all you need to know, especially about servicing the bell crank assembly.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I printed out those 2 PDFs. Haven't had time to do the maintenance as I use the truck everyday. I am going to try and get a weekend to do the work. I'll have to order the paint and grease.

Thanks,

Scoob

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If my bellcrank stop is not off the backing plate, why do I have a sagging parking brake cable on the right side?

Scoob

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Are the rear brakes adjusted?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The shoe should lightly, just, touch the drum.

What is under the rubber boot on the cable?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does. I have not checked under the rubber boot. I am going to do a complete recondition of the bellcranks as soon as I get the paint and special grease this week -- there may be my problem -- under the rubber boot if it cannot flex and is all rusted up -- just thought about that. In the mean time I just got a code P0420, so have another problem to attend to. I think you may have solved the problem asking me about the rubber boot, it may be all seized up. I'll find out before too long and thanks.

Scoob

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it all repaired. One bell crank was frozen. I used the PDF guide in the Brakes Sub-Forum. Thanks to the author for that write-up!

Scoob

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Got it all repaired. One bell crank was frozen. I used the PDF guide in the Brakes Sub-Forum. Thanks to the author for that write-up!

Scoob
Yep...did mine this weekend...been watching mine for 6 yrs after reading posts on it...they finally corroded to frozen...I'll post some pics later in my gallery but here is a quick one on the corrosion

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts