Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tundra Hood Protector....TS Supporter price $79.

This is listed on the Preferred Vendor page. Anyone know if this is the smoked Plastic bug deflector that covers the painted hood metal all around the grill including the area down each side?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Toyota made hood protector does not protect the area around the grille. It has probably the most rigid mounting system and it does not touch the paint in any way. It does not help to deflect bugs over the windshield. You also must drill 2 3/8" or so holes on the under side of your hood for the mounting of the Toyota bug deflector.

I recently replaced my Toyota one with a bug deflector from Form Fit. It is the one that covers around the entire grille, but still leaves the grill exposed unlike the Toyota one. I like it better and it helps keep the bugs off the windshield. You can get either one through Steve G at Carson Toyota. I got both of mine from him.

As to which one it is for $79, I'd probably say the Form Fit. If I recall I paid over $100 for the Toyota one through Carson Toyota less than a year ago. I do have my bug deflector I removed in great condition if you're interested.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the offer and will keep it in mind. I am driving more daily now than I used to and on a highway. I would like to limit the amount of bugs and road debris that hit the paint and windsheild. I have even considered a bra for the front but it wouldn't do much in the way of deflecting things from the windsheild and needs to come off from time to time especially after/before a rain.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello there.

I think the bug deflector you are thinking about is the one at the following link:

http://www.toyotaguys.com/tunhoodprot.html

However, it costs $109 from this site. It is the same design I have on my Tundra, except mine was made by a company called FormFit and cost around $80 delivered. No drilling is required.

Ciao. :cool:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Snoopy,
I have a form-fit deflector on my truck and I'm happy with it. It does an ok job of keeping the bugs off the windsheild. I have a few pic's of it in my profile.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I also have the Form Fit. It works OK, although in my part of the country nothing is real effective ! !

The only problem I have had is it "slipped" upward from behind the grille. No big deal as I loosened the grille, pushed in back "under the grille" and re-tightened it.

What I really like is the appearance it provides. A Tundra without it just doesn't look "right".........if you know what I mean.

:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
sdmahr said:
I also have the Form Fit. It works OK, although in my part of the country nothing is real effective ! !

The only problem I have had is it "slipped" upward from behind the grille. No big deal as I loosened the grille, pushed in back "under the grille" and re-tightened it.

What I really like is the appearance it provides. A Tundra without it just doesn't look "right".........if you know what I mean.

:D
I have had the same problem with mine, on probably 4 occasions now. It's kind of a pain, as I didn't think I'd have to loosen and re-tighten my grill every 6-8 weeks which I'm basically doing now. Also, I took my truck through a drive-through carwash once. About halfway through, the passenger side came out from underneath the grill and the whole thing started flapping all over the place. Luckily, it didn't dent the hood...I thought for sure it would while I was waiting to get through the final couple cycles. At least the install/removal is easy. I took it the rest of the way off and threw it in the backseat in about 5 minutes so I could make my appointment on time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts