Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, im new to the site.

i just bought a 2008 Tundra extended cab with the 5.7 4x4.

its the bright blue color.

anyhow...im wanting to do a few things to the truck to make it more my own. i have seen many pics of people getting the grille piece painted to match the body....problem is, all the places i call in my small town say "hey we cant do that cause its chrome!"

well, its not chrome its plastic :mad:

who here has had any luck?

this is the color of my truck and i currently have the chrome COLORED grille with billet and wasnt to go to something like this...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You can always just ask the guys at TRD Sparks and see if they can get you a pre-painted color match one since Blue Streak grills are avaliable from your local dealer or internet dealers, Sparks tend to have the best prices and service and is were I got mine from a few years ago. Now the door handles are not so you have to DIY paint them or have a paint shop do that if you want to go that route too. :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sparks has the grill color matched already, or you can have a shop paint it. I pick up my truck from the shop tomorrow, they painted a 2010 platinum grill to match the blue streak metallic of my truck. They did a bunch of extra prep work, used some super primer adhesive stuff, and are using some heavy duty german branded clear coat that is almost rubberized to help prevent chips and peeling. Will get it 3m clear coated when I get some more $$

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
well techincally it is chrome....chrome plating is possible on plastic, its just the base/prep work that differs so its not just chrome colored...wiki/google it :) chrome doesnt have to be "metal", plastic is plated in a similar process just little bit different to make it stick.

anyway, check out popo's thread or just order the one already painted...no biggie.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
If you like the challenge of DIY (and you don't mind spending a day on it) you can do it for less than $50 total (see the thread they posted above). If you'd rather have a paint shop do it, looks like they can do it for between $100-200 depending on where you go. TrdSparks.com has "Metallic Blue" whatever color that is... for $185 plus shipping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts