Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm considering a new Tacoma double cab prerunner 4x2. I have to order it from the factory (airbag package required by wife, and there are none with that package in the entire region), so I get to configure it exactly as I want it. It will be a utility vehicle, so I'm not really going to load it up, but I would like it to be sufficient for many, many years.

So far, I've spec'd airbags and SR5 #2, but I'm wondering about the tow package and VSC.

First, if I don't get the tow package, I understand that the max tow capacity will be 3500 lbs. I know this will be sufficient for a while, as I don't really intend to tow anything. However, as the boys get older, I might be taking them out to go dirtbiking, or go-karting, etc, and I don't know if that 3500 lbs capacity will be sufficient. If I get to that point and need to tow more, do I have any options? I know UHaul sells tow "stuff" (pardon my ignorance, please - I've never owned a truck and never towed anything before), and I've heard of other aftermarket solutions that would increase the tow capacity, though perhaps not to the 6500 lbs that I'd get from the tow package option.

Second - VSC. My previous cars have mostly had stability control, and I understand the concept behind it. With a light rear end and RWD I'd guess it would be more valuable than in my other cars. I'm just wondering if not getting it would be cheaping out when adding the other safety equipment (airbags). Anyone not have it and wish they did? Vice versa? I don't intend to be going offroad, nor will I be hotrodding around.

Thanks much in advance,
Chris

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you get the v6 without the two packadge you can two upto 5,000 if you get a frame mounted reciver.

If you use a bummper mount 3,500 max.

I'd go with the tow packadge if your going to order a truck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response - any idea how much a frame mounted receiver would cost?

The only reason I hesitate is that I don't think I'd get much use out of it and I'm trying to keep the cost to a minimum - I'm already a couple thousand over what I budgeted.

Thanks!

-Chris

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
any idea how much a frame mounted receiver would cost?

-Chris
--------------------------------------------------------------
Around $100.00-125.00 cash & carry, $25.00-60.00 for install +$ 25.00-35.00 for a 4-flat harness with converter, a little more if 7 blade RV style desired. All rough estimates.

·
Registered
407 Posts
VSC is cool if you don't pay attention when you drive, but if you spend a few minutes finding out the limits of the truck in an empty lot it really is not required. I think it's a waste of money, and I turn mine off in my truck a lot, but it's nice to have when the wife is driving.

·
Registered
115 Posts
1. Bumper Hitch: 3,500 pounds. Free

2. "TOW HITCH": Reciever hitch with 5,000 pound capacity and four pin flat connector wiring harness. Sticker price $455. factory installed, OR dealer installed. NO Transmission or oil cooler.

3. "TOW PACKAGE": Same reciever hitch as above except only factory installed, 6,500 pound capacity, includes Oil cooler and Transmission Oil Cooler with Automatic transmissions. Also includes an upgrade wiring harness, round connector which I think has a either 5 or 7 pins. Sticker price was $630.

Note the terminology in quotes: Only ONE dealer I spoke with knew the differences.

The dealers have a substantial booklet from Toyota, which is called "Pocket Source for SUVs and Trucks" that salesmen refer to for information which is not generally available in the brochures. Trouble is, they have to read it. TacoGuy

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Good info TacoGuy - I think you also get a larger alternator with the towing package. And yes, most people that post on this site know more about the trucks than the bozos that sell them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good info TacoGuy - I think you also get a larger alternator with the towing package. And yes, most people that post on this site know more about the trucks than the bozos that sell them.
... which is why I asked here rather than ask the salesguy! Thanks again!

·
Registered
115 Posts
YUP: You are right. I just checked my handy little Pocket Ref. and a little foot note which includes the 130 Amp alternator with the 6,500# "Tow Package". TacoGuy

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
. [B said:
3.[/B] "TOW PACKAGE": Same reciever hitch as above except only factory installed, 6,500 pound capacity, includes Oil cooler and Transmission Oil Cooler with Automatic transmissions. Also includes an upgrade wiring harness, round connector which I think has a either 5 or 7 pins. Sticker price was $630.

Note the terminology in quotes: Only ONE dealer I spoke with knew the differences.
-
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The dealer/port hitch asembly aren't exactly the same, they are both 2" receiver style, but the bracket for the wiring plug is different, the tubes/brackets are different ect. It is I think just that they come from different suppliers, since one is put on on the line the other at the port. If you go to a dealer that has a lot of Tacoma's and look down a long row of trucks you can tell right away which truck has which option. It is the same way on the Tundra's. BTW, one does not appear any better than the other just different.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi LRH: You use the word "Port". Do you work for a Toyota Dealer? I used to work for a dealer and that term was not generally known outside the community. I may just be "reminiscing" as it's been awhile. TacoGUy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts