Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I just bought a new 2007 Tundra DC, 4x4 with the TRD package. Overall I love the truck, I do have one major concern though and that is a wobbling issue that occurs on maybe 40% of the freeways I drive on (starts at speeds of 65mph and gets worse the faster I go). I was told by the dealership that this is caused by the lenght the concrete is cut on those freeways (he stated this only seems to occur in southern california) is the same as the wheelbase of my Tundra, and hence causes an osicillation. To me that sounds like a rather exotic answer. I just wanted to see if anyone else has any other opinions or ideas on the topic.

At first I though it was tire balancing, but if that was the case this would happen EVERY time I went 65+mph, but it does not occur on newer surfaced freeways. I think now maybe its a tire issue. So I was wondering if anyone else had any similar issues or suggestions.

Tire:
BFG Rugged Trail T/A (P275 65 R18)

Any comments would be greatly appriciated! :)

Thanks!
James

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Hi all!

I just bought a new 2007 Tundra DC, 4x4 with the TRD package. Overall I love the truck, I do have one major concern though and that is a wobbling issue that occurs on maybe 40% of the freeways I drive on (starts at speeds of 65mph and gets worse the faster I go). I was told by the dealership that this is caused by the lenght the concrete is cut on those freeways (he stated this only seems to occur in southern california) is the same as the wheelbase of my Tundra, and hence causes an osicillation. To me that sounds like a rather exotic answer. I just wanted to see if anyone else has any other opinions or ideas on the topic.

At first I though it was tire balancing, but if that was the case this would happen EVERY time I went 65+mph, but it does not occur on newer surfaced freeways. I think now maybe its a tire issue. So I was wondering if anyone else had any similar issues or suggestions.

Tire:
BFG Rugged Trail T/A (P275 65 R18)

Any comments would be greatly appriciated! :)

Thanks!
James

If it happens on some roads, but not others, I'd think it was the raod.

Try dropping your tire pressure by about 5psi and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Taken from popularmechanics.com:

However, all is not perfect when it comes to comfort. Over our test loop, which included many different types of secondary roads and freeways, the Tundra had the kind of jarring freeway hop that would make a Humvee blush

I'm surprised no one else has noticed this or commented on it. This kind of hopping is not ONLY the road, but the vehical also, this kind of hopping has never happened in any of the other dozen or so vehicles I have driven on these same freeways.

·
Registered
447 Posts
ill go ahead and tell ya that its those p.o.s. rugged trail tires:td:!! i now have just about 20k on them, they do it pretty bad now, no matter how many balances or alignments i do, but they have been like this basically since i got my tacome in jan.06! maybe you can lower your psi, hope that helps your problem. just dont expect to get any good mileage outta those tires, mine are about shot, @ 20k!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts