Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Truck is a 2001 Tundra 4X4 with a 4.7 and low mileage.. I was wondering if the front axles turn while in 2WD. I assume the front hubs disengage totally, but I don't know for sure. I am asking this because I found a slight seeping of grease in one of my front axle boots, and if they don't turn any in 2WD, I won't worry about fixing them for a while. I seldom use 4X4 outside of hunting seasons, and then it is at 5 to 10 MPH tops. Thanks..

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yes, they always turn and as someone that panicked at seeing the seeping grease let me hopefully save you some money. My truck is a 2000 so I think it is just age of the rubber boots. I panicked and removed my front shafts and replaced my inner boots and to tell you the truth I probably only needed to replace the boot clamp because when I removed the boots they were all full of lube and I think over the years that the rubber had shrunk a little and this is what caused the leak and just replacing the clamps would have been the easiest thing to do.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The front hubs never disengage. There is an axle disconnect in the passenger’s side of the differential. But that’s all. They’re full time hubs with no disconnect. I’ve personally never done anything for the slight grease slinging on my 01. It’s around 210,000 miles now and everything is fine. I should probably replace clamps and maybe boots as well but it’s far down the list for me right now so I’ll run it until something starts making a noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I have a lot of needed maintenance coming up and didn't want another job. I know the front axles aren't that bad to replace, but I'd just as soon leave them alone. I wish the Tundras were as easy to install lock outs on as my old T100 was. Now on to the timing belt fun.....

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
There is a kit somewhere that someone sold that allowed you to add manual locking hubs to the front of the Tundra. It basically swapped parts from other Toyota Manual locking hubs but it wasn't inexpensive and didn't greatly increase the MPG as some thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a kit somewhere that someone sold that allowed you to add manual locking hubs to the front of the Tundra. It basically swapped parts from other Toyota Manual locking hubs but it wasn't inexpensive and didn't greatly increase the MPG as some thought.

I did the swap on my 06. The conversion uses Tacoma stub axles and hubs, uses same bearings, takes about 8 hours to swap. Mileage improvement is minimal. braking is improved as you don't have the front axle rotational inertia to stop. The truck feels a bit smoother, less moving parts. (subjective) I did it because I could.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did the swap on my 06. The conversion uses Tacoma stub axles and hubs, uses same bearings, takes about 8 hours to swap. Mileage improvement is minimal. braking is improved as you don't have the front axle rotational inertia to stop. The truck feels a bit smoother, less moving parts. (subjective) I did it because I could.
No knuckle swap was required? Just the hubs that accept the locking hub mechanism (& the manual hubs themselves), & manual hub cv axles for, say, a ‘96 Tacoma?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts