Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi today i seen 3 older tundra's. they cought my eye only due to the fact each 1 i saw was turning. i would swear that everyone of them ,there front end dived down & there rear end went up. instead of staying flat. i didn't think this was normal the 1st time, but after i saw the 3rd do the same thing. it made me wonder. 2 looked empty in the open bed, looked like nothing was in it. the other was a pool guy. all i saw was a shark outside the tailgate, in the middle, & a few items plastic pvc piping stuff in a milk crate. nothing i thought that was to heavy.

so i guess my question is this: is this normal. my 05 never did that. & now due to the front & rear HELLWIG anti sway bars, my tundra stays so flat around turns.

to me it almost looked dangerous, but i could be dead wrong. or i just seen 3 tundra's that needed shocks. i knew they were older because of the front bumper was steel, and the tail lights looked nothing like my double cab lights . they were small.
thankyou in advance for your comments,
just wondering... HUMMM...........:confused:
gorilla

·
Registered
739 Posts
dont think mine does that except when i stop then the nose dips a little, i do need to change my shocks i have almost 130,00 on them, just another thing to get on a long things to do list. i might be wrong you got me thinking now gorilla :confuseda:

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
I noticed mine did it before the coilovers. My mechanic was driving it after he changed the rack and pinion and when he pulled into our shop parking lot nose down a$$ up, it was weird I never noticed it when I was driving??

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Probly have worn shocks, also the suspension is pretty soft stock. Mine does that, but I have no swaybars!!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi, thankyou. i noticed this, while they were turning. other than that it looked fine, while they were driving. when in the turn the tundra did sort of a swisted nose dive. i never noticed that on my 05, even before i did the up-grade in sway bars. but it just looked like it was diving way to much. i wonder if you were taking a turn fast what would happen. these 3 tundra's, were not going fast. that is why it cought my eye.they were making left turn & i was behind them all. it seemed that there weight all went into that front fender/tire, pushing down hard.while the rear lifted up. it to me didn't seem safe. i thought what if they had to slam on the brakes. i would think & i could be wrong but the rear up since the front was down & twisted, and the rear was up. it would was slid out & around.
if i were you. i'd have a friend watch you make a turn. and see what the truck does.
yes, it might hve worn shocks, but thats easy to check. while standing still push up & down on each fender. & see if the travel continues to bounce a few times. instead of down & up, than stop's.

i only posted this thread to inform you. i belive it could lead to a safty issue.
if you were going faster than normal, & than traffic was stopped as you make that turn right in front of you.
what would happen to the front/back. it looked weird.
i hope all is o.k. & this is normal for these years.
and it is totally safe.
good luck, stay safe TS brother's!
regards,
gorilla

·
Registered
606 Posts
I think your observations are accurate, but are much more noticeable as the shocks get worn. Another thing you will notice when the shocks get really worn is a up and down sensation while you're turning. Another handling characteristic is noticeable understeer, even with new shocks.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
To tell you the truth, I've never really paid attention to know whether is dives of not. Now you have me worried...

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi i'm sorry.
i didn't post this thread to make you all worried.
i posted it with good intentions.
if there is something wrong, or can be fixed, i would hope you would at the least try, & see if your tundra does this.
i assume you have been driving the tundra now for many years.
but i would, like i said, have a friend either look at it while you are turning or have a friend drive your tundra & make the turn to see what happens & what you see.
maybe it was just these 3 tundra's that really needed shocks so badly.
anything is possible.
good luck everyone, i hope it's just something normal.
if you see another tundra like your's ,watch them turn, you hopefully will see what i did.
than you will have a better idea of what i was looking at.
i know 1 thing for sure, when i put my rear hellwig it stiffened up the tundra,
than i also added the front hellwig, it make it even better. now aorund turns it stays so flat.
like i have been saying like a BMW or AUDI!
maybe that is all you would need.
i don't know what the problem is, maybe nothing is wrong.
but i wanted to let you all know.
better to be safe than sorry.
good luck to you all.
regards,
gorilla

gorilla

·
Registered
739 Posts
thx gorilla will have someone drive my truck and check it out. btw a trd swaybar is on my list so are a set of trd bilsteins red/blue, hopefully that will help out, and thank you once again for watching out for us

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi, your welcome.
this is what a botherhood should do for each other.
that is what i belive.
it's like when i ride my bikes, we always put out my finger's peace down, out to each other, it is just saying hello for a fellow rider.
i do it to all biker's. harley's, rice rockets ,etc.
i have both a cruiser & a rocket.
it's a brotherhood.
i always stop if a biker has broken down, just to see if he/she needs anything.
i truely hope 1 day we(TS) get the same way.
gorilla

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
hi today i seen 3 older tundra's. they cought my eye only due to the fact each 1 i saw was turning. i would swear that everyone of them ,there front end dived down & there rear end went up. instead of staying flat. i didn't think this was normal the 1st time, but after i saw the 3rd do the same thing. it made me wonder....

so i guess my question is this: is this normal...

to me it almost looked dangerous, but i could be dead wrong. or i just seen 3 tundra's that needed shocks. i knew they were older because of the front bumper was steel....:confused:
gorilla
Interesting observation. My 10 year old Tundra does not have that problem. But, I did help it along the way..all upgrades with less than 3k miles, and I like the difference in handling

. Front and rear sway bars
. New poly bushings front and rear
. New Red/Blue Bilsteins shocks front and rear
. TRD coil springs up front

I am sure you saw some older rides with more miles, as expected for most older trucks. I may not be a good example with only 23k miles right now, and suspension with only 3k.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts