Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your feeling on the performance below 2500 RPM? Do you think it hurt it or did you notice an improvement in power and torque?

Was thinking about installing a set but 95% of most driving is below 2500 RPM and I also tow a trailer so I don't want my low end grunt to suffer. I know headers in general improve top end HP but lot's of time the low end will suffer in the process.

Looking for a little extra pulling power and power cruising up hills etc. My daily driving is in the 6K-7K ft. altitude (higher if I go up in the mountains) and my truck feels like it's really suffering a lack of power and I'm getting frustrated with it.

Thanks for your inputs.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
What is your feeling on the performance below 2500 RPM? Do you think it hurt it or did you notice an improvement in power and torque?

Was thinking about installing a set but 95% of most driving is below 2500 RPM and I also tow a trailer so I don't want my low end grunt to suffer. I know headers in general improve top end HP but lot's of time the low end will suffer in the process.

Looking for a little extra pulling power and power cruising up hills etc. My daily driving is in the 6K-7K ft. altitude (higher if I go up in the mountains) and my truck feels like it's really suffering a lack of power and I'm getting frustrated with it.

Thanks for your inputs.
Hey jpeepers,
From my experience I can tell you there is a power increase thoughout the whole RPM range. I too was afraid of losing low end, but the ticking of the exhaust leak was driving me crazy, so I took the risk. 100% happy with the outcome. I don't tow anything, but I do haul the occassional load of wood and dirt bikes and I feel it takes off the line easier.

It pulls better on the freeway when before it would shift out of OD to climb grades. I think I speak for everyone that has headers, that it is one of the best upgrades you can do to these trucks, with the little we have. I'm not saying it's going to feel like you added a supercharger especially at the elevation your at, the power gains will probly be less, but it will help. All in all you will be happy!:tu:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed a low end improvement. Check these out.
http://www.jbaheaders.com/assets/art...wdsuv_1005.pdf
Yeah, I saw that article on the JBA web site. The dyno chart only shows from about 3100 RPM and up but you can see that the torque and HP drop off sharply below 3500 RPM. (worse than stock)
Daily driving doesn't get into that RPM range where they show the most gains on the chart so that's why I'm asking around.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi than look at doug thorley. they are suppose to be better at low end.
good luck, i love my mod's, & my JBA headers.
just make sure you buy OEM gaskets, for good reason. you will know when you see the 1's that come w/the headers, & the oem's. it's like night & day.
i took it back in for a re-torque, none needed to be tighened. & never got loose either.
so it's well worth the money.
in the directions it say to re-tighten for a few months. like every month. when & if you are doing the install, you will understand why, you do not want to tighten them ever again. it is such a tight fit.
please buy jba & or doug thorley. quality & warrenty. i know jba is life time. not sure about DT.
gorilla

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I think I speak for everyone that has headers, that it is one of the best upgrades you can do to these trucks, with the little we have.
I agree!

·
Forum Admin
8,245 Posts
I equipped my 2005 with Doug Thorley Headers almost one year ago today. That was the best mod for the money so far. Especially if you include the grand I $aved by making it a DIY. Here's my dyno sheet: Tundradrenalin's 2005 Toyota Tundra 4.7, Mustang Dyno Pull, 2009/5/12, Doug Thorley Headers installa - Photo Gallery. As you see it, #2 is stock manifolds, #1 is one month after headers were installed. My torque peak didn't even budge. But the curve is so much more smooth from start to redline, it's obvious.

One funny thing to note, that was the first time those boys at the dyno shop had ever seen a truck with 33" tires on their Mustang dyno. They're more used to S2000's and Civics. lol :D

·
7,925 Posts
Supposedly long tube headers move the HP down further in the RPM band than any other header. If I ever get the money these are what I am installing.

S&S Long Tube Headers

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Supposedly long tube headers move the HP down further in the RPM band than any other header. If I ever get the money these are what I am installing.

S&S Long Tube Headers
Do you know any place that sells the S&S headers? I did a search and could not come up with anything. There link to the online store does not work?

So far looking at the numbers it looks the the Doug Thorley have more gains down low then the JBA's which is what I am looking for. I emailed S&S and asked them for some info so I'll see if they respond.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i got a question.
why is the a/f ratio at 7.3?
what else did you do to get it there. the reason why i ask is simple:
toyota stock comes with 14 to 14.5 A/F ratio? especially on the 2005/2006's.
just asking.
for you to make those #'s, you needed more fuel. you got it. now i'd love to know how.
gadget or unichip, i know you wouldn't use jet.
gorilla

I equipped my 2005 with Doug Thorley Headers almost one year ago today. That was the best mod for the money so far. Especially if you include the grand I $aved by making it a DIY. Here's my dyno sheet: Tundradrenalin's 2005 Toyota Tundra 4.7, Mustang Dyno Pull, 2009/5/12, Doug Thorley Headers installa - Photo Gallery. As you see it, #2 is stock manifolds, #1 is one month after headers were installed. My torque peak didn't even budge. But the curve is so much more smooth from start to redline, it's obvious.

One funny thing to note, that was the first time those boys at the dyno shop had ever seen a truck with 33" tires on their Mustang dyno. They're more used to S2000's and Civics. lol :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
my DT headers greatly increased low end torque. brought back all lost and then some by the magnaflow catback. doesnt shift as often either. much smoother on the acceleration.

·
Forum Admin
8,245 Posts
hi, i got a question.
why is the a/f ratio at 7.3?
what else did you do to get it there. the reason why i ask is simple:
toyota stock comes with 14 to 14.5 A/F ratio? especially on the 2005/2006's.
just asking.
for you to make those #'s, you needed more fuel. you got it. now i'd love to know how.
gadget or unichip, i know you wouldn't use jet.
gorilla
A:F wasn't measured. Those numbers are meaningless. My A:F ratio is a secret. :devil:

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
right, that means your dyno, is not correct for just DT headers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
don't make people think that is where you got your power from.
no way will DT headers, make you achieve those #'s.

belive me, i did enough dyno's to know the truth.
there is more there than you think.
please people don't go by that dyno, it's not just DT headers.

1 thing about me, is i let everyone know what i did & how i got there.
i don't BS no one, i am a stand up guy, i only have 1 reputation, & it's still good.
and that is why i have been successful my whole life.
to me, you ruined your's.
secrete: what??
it clearly show's your a/f ratio 7.3 if thats the case, your mpg has dropped HUGE!
if it isn't & those #'s were plugged in , it changes everything, so it's a fake dyno.
i know, i could have a dyno showing 600hp & 700in rwtorque.
it doesn't mean i have it.
but i don't lie, make up stuff.
now i'm not saying your lieing,
what i'm saying is simply your DT headers wasn't the only way you got those #'s.
because headers increase HP & TORQUE! and not as much as your dyno shows.
come on mod, show by example.
gorilla

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
right, that means your dyno, is not correct for just DT headers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
don't make people think that is where you got your power from.
no way will DT headers, make you achieve those #'s.

belive me, i did enough dyno's to know the truth.
there is more there than you think.
please people don't go by that dyno, it's not just DT headers.

1 thing about me, is i let everyone know what i did & how i got there.
i don't BS no one, i am a stand up guy, i only have 1 reputation, & it's still good.
and that is why i have been successful my whole life.
to me, you ruined your's.
secrete: what??
it clearly show's your a/f ratio 7.3 if thats the case, your mpg has dropped HUGE!
if it isn't & those #'s were plugged in , it changes everything, so it's a fake dyno.
i know, i could have a dyno showing 600hp & 700in rwtorque.
it doesn't mean i have it.
but i don't lie, make up stuff.
now i'm not saying your lieing,
what i'm saying is simply your DT headers wasn't the only way you got those #'s.
because headers increase HP & TORQUE! and not as much as your dyno shows.
come on mod, show by example.
gorilla
hi,
how much hp and rwtorque
did you're headers add?
i know, you have done several dyno's.

did you do dyno's for each preformince
upgrade you did

just wondring. i have header's and feel the diffrinse
but i don't have any hp and rwtorque numbrs
to back it up
cuz there is no dyno's around here.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i haven't heard of anyone that has done a dyno after each mod.
the cost factor, would be alot.
i didn't either. nor did i ever claim that.

if you want stat's, JBA & DT posted there claims. which is that specific tundra.
most tundra's dyno stock at 210HP, not 220, or 225, or even 230. like i have seen claims of.

yes, every tundra is different, & each dyno run will produce different #'s, even with the same truck.

but a dyno sheet without the section with the a/f ratio to me is meaningless.
it will show you across the whole chart whats what.

like i said a stock tundra ,try to dyno it. it will be a/f between 14 & 14.5 on a 05 & 06.
that i guarentee you. & thats all the way across the chart.
to see more power you need to see that 14 drop. and 12 or 11 is much better but 7.3
across the board steady. that means at low rpms & mid range & punching it, it stays the same. i have never seen that.
it stays somewhere, & when you punch it, the # lowers. & it spikes the HP & TORQUE up.
but toyota with out changing the ecu unit, tricking it, will remain at the 14ish all the way no matter what.
that is why i'm getting the hp & torque i'm getting because i had it tuned correctly. where it drop's, producing more HP & TORQUE. i hope you guy's have a better idea now of what to look for. thats what a TS member is suppose to do, help make members understand whats going on to produce more power.
oh i seen 1, it had a s/c on it. down low, no where near 7.3 it was 12.84 trd s/c.
next that 7.3 will say he's getting 18 or 16mpg. not going to happen ever. thats alot of fuel.
those #'s are for racing vehicles. i have to find my lowest
my lowest is 12.2 a/f ratio. down from 14.5
gorilla

·
7,925 Posts
Do you know any place that sells the S&S headers? I did a search and could not come up with anything. There link to the online store does not work?

So far looking at the numbers it looks the the Doug Thorley have more gains down low then the JBA's which is what I am looking for. I emailed S&S and asked them for some info so I'll see if they respond.

Thanks guys.

I was not aware that DT made headers for the 2004 4.7.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
hi, i haven't heard of anyone that has done a dyno after each mod.
the cost factor, would be alot.
i didn't either. nor did i ever claim that.

if you want stat's, JBA & DT posted there claims. which is that specific tundra.
most tundra's dyno stock at 210HP, not 220, or 225, or even 230. like i have seen claims of.

yes, every tundra is different, & each dyno run will produce different #'s, even with the same truck.

but a dyno sheet without the section with the a/f ratio to me is meaningless.
it will show you across the whole chart whats what.

like i said a stock tundra ,try to dyno it. it will be a/f between 14 & 14.5 on a 05 & 06.
that i guarentee you. & thats all the way across the chart.
to see more power you need to see that 14 drop. and 12 or 11 is much better but 7.3
across the board steady. that means at low rpms & mid range & punching it, it stays the same. i have never seen that.
it stays somewhere, & when you punch it, the # lowers. & it spikes the HP & TORQUE up.
but toyota with out changing the ecu unit, tricking it, will remain at the 14ish all the way no matter what.
that is why i'm getting the hp & torque i'm getting because i had it tuned correctly. where it drop's, producing more HP & TORQUE. i hope you guy's have a better idea now of what to look for. thats what a TS member is suppose to do, help make members understand whats going on to produce more power.
oh i seen 1, it had a s/c on it. down low, no where near 7.3 it was 12.84 trd s/c.
next that 7.3 will say he's getting 18 or 16mpg. not going to happen ever. thats alot of fuel.
those #'s are for racing vehicles. i have to find my lowest
my lowest is 12.2 a/f ratio. down from 14.5
gorilla
hi,
Now I'm confused by all this A/F ratio mumbo jumbo.:confused: I emailed my factory trained ASE certified master Toyota mechanic friend to clarify some things. I will post later with an update.;)

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I always thought 14.7:1 was optimal, going into the numbers GORILLA describes would be too lean to run daily. I wouldn't go calling Tundradrenalin a liar though, if he says ignore the number, ignore it. The gains seem conceivable, sure he has an extra mod or two but he never said he didn't! :heh:
Can't always show people your cards.:spy:

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Yup. Pulling into my buddies garage at 7:30am, hoping to be done just a little after noon. I'll be getting lots of pictures to share with everybody. I don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight, the anticipation is killing me!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts