Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I just got the letter in the mail about my ball joint recall on my '05 DC. I have a couple questions though that I thought one of you could answer.

1. I need an alignment anyway, will they be doing an alignment when they do this? (Hoping to save a few $$$'s) I thought I read that they do one during this, but perhaps not.

2. I have a set of Donahoes in my basement waiting to go on. Should I put them on before or after the ball joint replacement? Thinking again to the alignment. If I have to get an alignment done anyway, why not kill two birds at once. But......I don't want my dealer to tell me I'm not eligible for the replacement because I've modified my suspension. (my dealer does not seem to like aftermarket mods.....)

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Hey folks,

I just got the letter in the mail about my ball joint recall on my '05 DC. I have a couple questions though that I thought one of you could answer.

1. I need an alignment anyway, will they be doing an alignment when they do this? (Hoping to save a few $$$'s) I thought I read that they do one during this, but perhaps not.

2. I have a set of Donahoes in my basement waiting to go on. Should I put them on before or after the ball joint replacement? Thinking again to the alignment. If I have to get an alignment done anyway, why not kill two birds at once. But......I don't want my dealer to tell me I'm not eligible for the replacement because I've modified my suspension. (my dealer does not seem to like aftermarket mods.....)

Thanks in advance.
I don't think there is an easy way out of this. :(

You should probably go get the ball joint work done first. They may align it; they may not. If they do align it, it should be free as a part of the recall. :)

Then go do the Donahoes and have it aligned again at your expense (which you would have to do anyway):eek:

If you put on the Donnies first, they might well say "you altered your suspension; we are not honoring the recall." Then you have brand new coils but old ball joints (which could conceivably wear out even faster now). :cry:

So yeah, get the recall work done first. It is going cost you either way, but this way will cost you the least. :sleep:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just had my recall work done.

Front-end alignment is necessary when replacing the ball joints.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Go ahead and put the coilovers on..i put my Donahoe CO's and Camburg UCAs on and then about a week later i got the letter in the mail, took it in, alignment done

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Hey folks,

Thanks in advance.
my dealer didnt do an alignment after my recall. he said the reason for it was they take note of where you toe and camber were at before and after..if they are the same they dont touch it...if different then they do whats needed to be done. thats the way i was told.

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
if they called for a RECALL of a part they put on that IS defective, they should replace it no matter what you've done to your truck. The recall notice states that the LBJ was bad since the beginning, what's the difference if you've jacked it up? It's been defective since it came out of the container!

*side note: I had my LBJ done one day before the lift* (haha)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts