Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the remote "key" transponder reliant on a hot battery? Or will I still be able to start the vehicle with a dead remote battery?
I have a 2011 Limited with the push-button Start. And only one remote.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
A vehicle does not require a remote to start, it requires a chipped key. I wonder if there is some type of chip inside your remote that is the same as the chip in key types. I have a tough time believing you wouldn't be able to start your vehicle if the battery that unlocks the doors was dead.
How do you only have 1 remote?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Is the remote "key" transponder reliant on a hot battery? Or will I still be able to start the vehicle with a dead remote battery?
I have a 2011 Limited with the push-button Start. And only one remote.
I'm pretty sure your vehicle will start with a dead remote battery. Reason? The chip inside the remote that must be present for your vehicle to start is an unpowered RFID chip, same as if it were in the key itself (I know you don't have an ignition key).

You should research this issue and buy one or two more remotes asap as you may find when you lose the one-and-only remote that the fix is expensive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure your vehicle will start with a dead remote battery. Reason? The chip inside the remote that must be present for your vehicle to start is an unpowered RFID chip, same as if it were in the key itself (I know you don't have an ignition key).

You should research this issue and buy one or two more remotes asap as you may find when you lose the one-and-only remote that the fix is expensive.
Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts