Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my '02 AC 4x4 serviced recently & the dealer wrote up the inspection that said; needs "rack & pinion bushing" (singular) replaced ($93) and a front end alignment ($59). Is this the same as I see in the DIY sticky explaining replacement of the "Poly steering rack bushings" (plural) replacement?
I've been under my truck & there appears to be more than one possibility to replace a bushing related to "steering". My thoughts are that the bushings I need to be concerned with are part of the mounting hardware of the steering rack & pinion housing, but I reserve the right to be wrong. Anybody have any pics / schematics?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ask the dealer for the PN that they're trying to replace.
Once you have the PN, you'll know what you need. Last time I checked, you couldn't get the bushing without the rack from the dealer. Other than poly, maybe your dealer sourced an aftermarket part from Napa/Autozone/Checkers/AdvanceAuto/.....

If its not a Toyota part, find the brand that they're using. Google W0133-1624219

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I would suggest getting the poly rack bushings. I replaced the sway bar bushings at the same time. I think it cost about $60 for both kits from Wheelers Offroad.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
there are three bushings to replace on the steering rack, not one. drivers side, middle, and passenger side. the poly bushings are the way to go, and i agree with 05DC541 to replace your sway bar bushings while you're at it. the sway bar bushings are a piece of cake to replace. the steering rack bushings are not hard to replace, just takes a little time the first time you do it. if you are not a wrench turner, then $93.00 including parts is not a bad deal for the steering rack bushing replacement. the bushings are only around $20-$30 then the rest is labor. :tu:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey Remus,
I've got a 4wd too and I've replaced my rack bushing bushings with poly ones and definitely have to second what White said that if you're not 100% confident in being able to figure it out $93 is a very good price even just for labor. If you have 1/2 tools, drift punches, bfh, patience, and everything else the (excellent) write-up they have here suggests it's about an hour to do and well worth it. It is a b***h though. And there are three bushings, make sure they're not just doing one haha.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Between your information, my shop manual, pics at Wheelers Offroad and a short trip on the creeper, I see what I need. What is curious to me is that the truck drives great; no road walk or slack. Toyota dealer did the check and said it needed "rack and pinion" bushing, so I'm sure it's got some wear. I couldn't "feel" it when I was under the truck and I sure can't feel it from the driver's seat, so it must not be extreme. The truck has 92K miles so it's bound to have some wear here and there. I will also get the stabilizer bushings at the same time.

I do my own wrench work most of the time, short of engine or trans teardowns. I did a couple engine overhauls in the old days when I was poor and had the time......

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I did mine at 38000 miles. They may not feel bad now, but you will be amazed how it drives when you get the poly ones installed. The difference is night and day.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Toyota dealer did the check and said it needed "rack and pinion" bushing, so I'm sure it's got some wear. I couldn't "feel" it when I was under the truck and I sure can't feel it from the driver's seat, so it must not be extreme....
To really see how much play your steering rack has on your own, have someone turn the wheel side-to-side while watching the rack from underneath (don't really need to have the engine running). You'll see exactly how much movement your rack goes through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts