Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a lot of thinking between the double cab and the crewmax looks like the crewmax is the winner.

Now just a few questions. I’m looking at getting a 4x2 crewmax SR5 with the 5.7L

Sunroof
I currently have a sun roof in my car now but do not use it all the time. Plus I try not to use my AC much as it bogs the engine down and dose not make the car so fun to drive. How do you all like the sunroof in the tundra? I was just thinking save the money on that and just use the air as the v8 still has a lot of power on it. But the air flow may be nice with the back window down.

Nav
I have read that people do not like the nav as it’s not one of the best navs out there. Now I do have nav software on my blackberry and can use my laptop but I was wondering how everyone liked it as a back up cam. I do not tow all the time so I would not have to use it all the time to hook up a trailer but when backing up in general how is it? I see that we can get sonar’s but I have never used them before. Just trying to see if it may be better just to get the nav.

Foglights
I want fog lights but do not want the trd package as I do not want a stiffer ride. Can the dealer add fog lights on to it?

4x4
I know I said I wanted a 4x2 but this truck will be my daily driver with a round trip of 100 miles a day. Here in KY we do get snow so would it be a good idea to get it. I do not really need it and can get any where I need to now in my Honda accord. I do like that this truck has vsa and auto lsd so maybe I will not need 4x4. May just need to drive carefully when it snows.

Wheels
I’m thinking about just getting the standard wheals and then upgrading to the 20in wheels Toyota has. I think the dealer should be able to do this but this is the first time im doing all this and just want to make sure. If I do upgrade, do still get to keep the original wheels or do I have to give those back to the dealer. It would be nice to have a summer and winter set.

Dealer installed Leather
I am thinking about getting leather but wanted to see how people like the dealer installed leather. My local dealer said he can put in either the same quality leather or for $300 more he can install higher quality leather that will feel softer. I don’t know much about this so I need your input here.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dealer installed Leather
I am thinking about getting leather but wanted to see how people like the dealer installed leather. My local dealer said he can put in either the same quality leather or for $300 more he can install higher quality leather that will feel softer. I don’t know much about this so I need your input here.
I would like to know about this too. I like high-quality leather and would pay more for that.

Anyone have the light beige leather? Seems to be my favorite, but I haven't seen it in person.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I do not own one yet but I have driven several. Regarding the Sunroof, I was set on getting a Crewmax with a sunroof but when I drive a Limited with a sunroof, I found that my hair touched the roof:( when sitting up straight, even with the seat all the way down (I'm 6'1". I don't know if I could deal with that so I'lll have to go sit in another. Maybe the softer cloth seats in the SR5 will be different.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
as far as the moonroof goes, if you're thinking about it....then get it. i have one in mine and i absolutely love it. i am 6'2" and i can wear a hat without it even touching. i say go for it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well after a lot of thinking between the double cab and the crewmax looks like the crewmax is the winner.

Now just a few questions. I’m looking at getting a 4x2 crewmax SR5 with the 5.7L

Sunroof
I currently have a sun roof in my car now but do not use it all the time. Plus I try not to use my AC much as it bogs the engine down and dose not make the car so fun to drive. How do you all like the sunroof in the tundra? I was just thinking save the money on that and just use the air as the v8 still has a lot of power on it. But the air flow may be nice with the back window down.

Nav
I have read that people do not like the nav as it’s not one of the best navs out there. Now I do have nav software on my blackberry and can use my laptop but I was wondering how everyone liked it as a back up cam. I do not tow all the time so I would not have to use it all the time to hook up a trailer but when backing up in general how is it? I see that we can get sonar’s but I have never used them before. Just trying to see if it may be better just to get the nav.

Foglights
I want fog lights but do not want the trd package as I do not want a stiffer ride. Can the dealer add fog lights on to it?

4x4
I know I said I wanted a 4x2 but this truck will be my daily driver with a round trip of 100 miles a day. Here in KY we do get snow so would it be a good idea to get it. I do not really need it and can get any where I need to now in my Honda accord. I do like that this truck has vsa and auto lsd so maybe I will not need 4x4. May just need to drive carefully when it snows.

Wheels
I’m thinking about just getting the standard wheals and then upgrading to the 20in wheels Toyota has. I think the dealer should be able to do this but this is the first time im doing all this and just want to make sure. If I do upgrade, do still get to keep the original wheels or do I have to give those back to the dealer. It would be nice to have a summer and winter set.

Dealer installed Leather

Thanks in Advance.
Sunroof; With the 5.7 you will not know the ac is on, it does not bog down the motor.

Nav; The toyota navigation is a very good navigation system. It is all inclusive. Drive it off the lot with a functioning navigation sytem. You do not have to add steering wheel controls, extra speakers, blue tooth, voice activation. The screen is clear and the map is very current.

You can go aftermarket also, and get xm traffic and a hard drive on the high end models. I do think you have to pay a subscription fee each month for the xm traffic. Although I am not sure of the price, but have heard about eight or nine dollars?

The higher end models might have a higher resolution screen, but I can not vouch for that.

I do know the screen on the lexus navigation is better then they toyota screen. But with that said, they both functions the same and look close to each other.

Fog lights; Get a limited and you get the fog lights and leather seats and the factory navigation is a lot cheaper, then it is with the sr5 navigation

wheels; If you buy the 20" limited wheels after purchasing the truck, you would get to keep your 18" wheels that came with the truck. If you have the dealer swap them before you purchase the truck, they will most likely keep the 18" wheels.

4x4; If there is snow at times in your area, it could never hurt to have a 4x4.

·
Registered
161 Posts
hello,i did not really need the nav but got it anyway for the camera screen and xm radio display with steering .i sat in one with the satand alone camera display and while it did the job ok i like the nav screen better.after a month of use i'm loving both and will always have them from now on ,steering control is nice too. nav is ok but i don't use it much.also this factory unit screen has a lot of future potential for aftermarket mods. good luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
hello,i did not really need the nav but got it anyway for the camera screen and xm radio display with steering .i sat in one with the satand alone camera display and while it did the job ok i like the nav screen better.after a month of use i'm loving both and will always have them from now on ,steering control is nice too. nav is ok but i don't use it much.also this factory unit screen has a lot of future potential for aftermarket mods. good luck
sorry about the jumble --it should read --with steering wheel controls --
and --sat in one with stand alone

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have an TRD SR5 CrewMax with the moonroof and I absolutely love it. I don't understand all the complaints about head room. I am 6'6" and have about a half inch of clearance. I say get the moonroof and 4x4.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe i need to test drive a trd again but how is the ride quality. Also is the height of the truck higher with the trd?

I may just get the trd package as you get the fog lights and the nice wheels with it.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Foglights

4x4

Thanks in Advance.
You won't need a 4x4 with light snow, unless you live up on a hill. One thing to consider is that the resale value will be better on a 4x4, unless you live in LA or Florida.

You can get the fog lights in certain models with the SR5 sport package. My tundra came with fog lights that way.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have an TRD SR5 CrewMax with the moonroof and I absolutely love it. I don't understand all the complaints about head room. I am 6'6" and have about a half inch of clearance. I say get the moonroof and 4x4.
Must have something to do with the leather vs cloth than becaus that is about a 5" difference. I need to get into an SR5 w/sunroof to check this out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the imput. I think i need to just check out the trd packaged truck to see now it rides.

do the 20in wheels affect the truck ride also?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thanks for the imput. I think i need to just check out the trd packaged truck to see now it rides.

do the 20in wheels affect the truck ride also?
Yes the 20" wheels will ride a little rougher, as they do not have as much side wall. But they should handle a little better?

I have the 20" and the ride is not too bad, but have not driven one with the 18's so I have no way of saying for sure.

I do know if you hit a pot hole, the 18" wheels will most likely survive better the the 20" wheels will.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i think i know what im going to do. I think im just going to get the truck and then add the add one latter or add one by one at a time. like the mirror, deck rail system and so on. Going to get the stock tires and then upgrade them. I cant tell but dose the trdsparks site sell the rims with the tires or is it just the rims? Going to have the dealer install the foglights for a good price. Still working on that price but do not want to pay 600 for it when I can get the trd package for 800 at invoice.

Anyone know of another good site that sells parts for the tundra. I may be able to worka deal with the deal on tires but will have to see.

I just got my 3 of my credit scores and im excellent for all 3 so this will help in getting a good rate but Im planning on getting a 7 year loan to keep the payments low. Then will be doing about 2 payments a month to pay it off fast

Any advice you all can give for a young person that is willing to listen.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Looking for some advice? OK...I you have to stretch out a truck loan to six or seven years, then you can't afford the truck. Try not to owe more on the truck than it is worth. :(

One of the reasons why financing companies are allowing these loans to stretch out (other than the fact that trucks are getting much more expensive compared to income) is that people are more guarded about their credit and are less likely to default. If you have bad credit, now, there are a lot of jobs that you can't have such as law enforcement.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can afford the truck just fine. That is way I said I am going to be doing 2 payments a month. I am going to the lower payments just incase somethign was to happen. I try to pay off my cars in less then 2 years. I just do not liek to have a car payment and will send every bit of money i have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts