Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
k so right now i have 2 jl 8's in my tundra and there being run off of this amp

Amplifiers - 7XX Series

its the first one the ICBM-771

now can i run this sub off of the amp. i'm pretty sure i can but in single or double voice coil??

Elemental Designs
Yeah, you can run that sub with your amp but more power is always better. :tu: But to answer your question, the voice coil configuration you want will depend on the number of subs you're getting. If you only get a single sub, get a dual 4 ohm and wire it to 2 load. If you're getting two subs, get two dual 2 ohm subs and wire them as a two ohm load. Here's a wiring tutorial from eD. Make sure you bridge the amp.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey thanks alot guys. yea i'm planning on only getting 1. i'm saving the jl's too i just wanna see what this sounds like since i already have everything installed and i just have to rewire it a little. one more thing. its a single 2 or single 4 voice coil not dual. so should i get the single 2?

·
Registered
490 Posts
single 2. sorry about that. most of eD's stuff has dual voice coils and i just assumed this one did too. a single 2 will present a 2 ohm load to the amp.

·
Registered
137 Posts
single 2. sorry about that. most of eD's stuff has dual voice coils and i just assumed this one did too. a single 2 will present a 2 ohm load to the amp.
... Actually, that amp is only 2ohm stable in stereo ... You need Single 4ohm if you bridge it ...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha ok are you positive on thise one?? i just don't wanna send my sub back for the s4 and then send it back again

·
Registered
73 Posts
Haha, you are misinformed...

Your amp makes 240 watts bridged. When that amp is 'bridged' the ohm load is cut from 4 ohms to 2 ohms. So you get 240 watts @ 2 ohms bridged.

You will want to get a single 2 ohm voice coil or a dual 4 ohm voice coil (which, when wired up, will be a 2 ohm load). Do NOT get a dual 2 ohm voice coild because that amp is not rated down to 1 ohm. I guess you could do it, the amp might just get hot and or shut down after a while.

And while were on it, i wouldnt recomend that sub unless you have to get a shallow mount. You can get a brand new type R for around 100 bucks on sonicelectronix...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so my single 2ohm WILL work then??? yea i have to go shallow mount otherwise there would definetly be a different sub on my mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
According to the description of the amplifier on the website from the link you provided, that amp will not handle daily use at 2 ohms bridged, only 4 ohms. Purchase the 4 ohm single voice coil sub.
Bridging an amplifier has no effect on the impedance (ohms) presented to it. Running that amp daily at 2 ohms bridged will result in the amp running hot and eventually kicking into themal protection (best case scenario) or overheating and frying altogether (worst case scenario).

There are many good tutorials available online that can give you the basics of amplifier impedance and how to wire speakers to change the impedance presented to an amplifier.
Crutchfield Advisor - The complete A/V information website is a pretty good place to start.

Good luck.
-Jason

·
Registered
99 Posts

Your amp makes 240 watts bridged. When that amp is 'bridged' the ohm load is cut from 4 ohms to 2 ohms. So you get 240 watts @ 2 ohms bridged.

You will want to get a single 2 ohm voice coil or a dual 4 ohm voice coil (which, when wired up, will be a 2 ohm load). Do NOT get a dual 2 ohm voice coild because that amp is not rated down to 1 ohm. I guess you could do it, the amp might just get hot and or shut down after a while.

And while were on it, i wouldnt recomend that sub unless you have to get a shallow mount. You can get a brand new type R for around 100 bucks on sonicelectronix...

I say a single 4 ohm sub !!!

Here are the specs for that amp ...

icbm-771

2 CHANNEL BRIDGEABLE POWER AMPLIFIER

POWER OUTPUT :
120Wx2CH @ 2 OHM
100Wx2CH @ 4 OHM
240Wx1CH BRIDGED

24dB/OCT. CROSSOVER SLOPE
VARIABLE SUBSONIC FILTER (10Hz-100Hz)
VARIABLE LOW PASS FILTER (30Hz-500Hz)
VARIABLE HIGH PASS FILTER (50Hz-1KHz)
VARIABLE 18dB BASS BOOST
HIGH & LOW LEVEL INPUT THROUGH RCA
DOUBLE SIDED PCB
DUAL PROTECTION (THERMAL & SHORT CIRCUIT)
RCA LINE OUT (PREAMP)
POWER & DIAGNOSTIC LED INDICATOR
2 OHM STABLE STEREO
SOFT DELAYED POWER ON
TRI-MODE CAPABILITY
0.05% THD

That amp puts out 120watts @ 2OHM in 2 channels bridging it is simply combining those two channels together. 120+120=240watts at one channel or mono, 2+2=4ohms. Check out the specs; it says the amp is stable at 2 ohm stereo that means in 2 channel mode only. The amp specs would have said it is stable in 2 ohms mono if it was.

So the safe and correct way to wire it is to one 4ohm sub. If you use the 2ohm sub you would be pushing more power then the amp is made and rated for. Hopefully this makes sense.

ELEMENTAL DESIGN has great costumer service, just call them and as your question. Or visit there forum at icixsound.com

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, get the 4 ohm sub. Bridging the amp doesnt get you a 4 ohm load, you get the 4 ohm load by hooking the 4 ohm sub to the amp. A 4 ohm load is what that amp is made to run safely with bridged.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Dear god, please delete your post before someone reads it and does something stupid.

1. Follow manufacture specs. No where does that amp say it is 2Ohm Stable. 9 times out of 10, when a 2 channel amp is bridged, it is only 4ohm stable unless explicitly stated otherwise by the manufacture.

2. Dual 2 ohm can be wired to BOTH 1ohm and 4ohm. Dual 4 ohm can be wired to both 8 ohms or 2 ohms.

3. Please don't jump on the Type R bandwagon. Yes, they can take lots of power and lots of abuse -- but other than that, there are many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many better speakers in the power / price range for this application.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea i know there are tons of very good speakers out there. i just want to try out this elemental designs just to see the diff. between one 10 and two 8's. but thanks a lot and thanks to everyone who helped me out with the right info

·
Registered
137 Posts
yea i know there are tons of very good speakers out there. i just want to try out this elemental designs just to see the diff. between one 10 and two 8's. but thanks a lot and thanks to everyone who helped me out with the right info
Go with the eD -- You will not be disapointed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts