Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying a FULLY-restored 1970 Mustang Fastback. It has a C6 (auto) with 3.73 gears so I don't want to drive it home because it is 2 hours away and it can only run 55-65mph. Car is in Atlanta and I have to bring is back to Columbus if anyone was interested. If I rented a car trailer from U-Haul can my '06 Tundra DC pull it without a brake controller? Don't want to buy one just to get the car home, but I don't want to be unsafe about the whole situation either...Would I be better off using my parents Expedition to tow it back with?

Thanks,
Kevo

·
Registered
609 Posts
You must have brake controler over a certain amount of weigth, I think it maybe 2000 LBS. Probably U-haul would not even hook you up. I have a 3.73 gear in my Firebird and I drive it all over the place. Only registers @2800 rpm at 65mph.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your Tundra should tow it just fine you will just need to plan ahead for stopping as it will take a lot longer to ge that extra 5k pounds stopped without help form the trailer brakes. If you drive smart and keep plenty of distance between you and the car in front of you it shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't made my mind up yet, either I drive through Atlanta doing 65mph the whole way when they usually do 80+ easily or I try and trailer it back but I really don't see me driving any faster than 65mph anyways! I'm going to ask around on StangNet.com and see around what RPM the car will be running at while doing 65mph. Have to remember is has a 3-speed AUTO (C6).

·
Registered
868 Posts
U-haul car trailers have hydraulic surge brakes. Nothing needed on your part.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
U-haul car trailers have hydraulic surge brakes. Nothing needed on your part.
That solves my problem right there, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just pulled a 1996 BMW 328i from Mississippi to Florida with my 2005 AC with no problems what so ever. The car was loaded on one of the UHAUL carriers. Did 70 most of the way home.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I trailered a 1973 914 Porsche 200 miles to my brother-in-law's house using a U-Haul car carrier. No problems going 65-70 mph and I averaged 15 mpg (only took it out of overdrive once for a stretch of rolling hills). All I needed was my 7-way to 4-way flat converter for the light hook-ups. Although, I do have a Prodigy brake controller already for my travel trailer, nothing more than the standard 4-way flat light connection is needed for trailers with surge brakes. They use the weight of the trailer pushing against your truck while stopping to activate the master cylinder on the trailer and thus applies braking force to the trailers wheels (just like the brakes on cars).

They are not as good as electric brakes but they don't require a controller like electric brakes do. Thank of them more as brake assist.

Not sure about the pricing in your area, but here our local U-Haul charges $50 a day for the 4wheel car hauler (if you pick up on Saturday it's not due back until Monday morning at opening time). Since you have to drive the truck anyway to pick it up, I'd tow it back.

On a side note, My dad had an F-250 460cu inch with the C6 (3-speed auto). He drove it from '85 (brand new) until '04! Never had an issue with the transmission! It had 4.10 gears and would do ~3k rpm @ 65 mph. The best he EVER got was 11 mpg!:cry: While towing his big boat though, it would only drop down to 10-9 mpg.:tu:

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have pulled a 16 foor tandem axle trailer, loaded to the max from New York to Tennesse without any problems. It had to be over 7,000 lbs. The truck (2003 Tundra V8) did not even downshift on upgrades on I-81. Oh and being a volunteer fireman .... it is nice to have a blue light on top going south, everyone is very nice to you :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
I towed a vehicle with a Penske Trailer two years back, It was hydraulic surge brakes also. But Penske at that time would not allow any other vehicle other than a Penske owned truck to be a tow vehicle.

The U-haul trailers I have seen have surge brakes also.

Remember a few things. You may drive as fast as you feel safe but...

Some states will not allow you in the fast lane with a trailer, others desire you to be in the slow lane except to pass.

Some states require that you drive a slower speed limit when towing.

Some stated will watch all vehicles towing for speed more closely than cars, so 4 mph over the posted speed limit may be the upper limit of safely pushing your luck.

Increase your following distance and beware of people going into that extra space you are leaving in front of you. They will take that space, so open it back up when you lose it because those surge brakes are not all that great and are not all created equal, some are ok some are slow, some don't give much braking action.

Keep an eye in the mirror when turning corners, people will drive in weird places.

Right turns are best if taken in the lane nearest the curb, left turns if there is more than one turning lane, is best taken in the outside lane to prevent people from crowding you in from the outside.

Check the straps on your car after the first 25 miles, and every stop thereafter.

Tow with your overdrive in the off position. It is way easier on the drivetrain, especially the transmission, and the engine torque curve will be better for the load you have as well.

I know some of these are obvious to some, but not everyone pulls trailers much, and a vintage mustang is pretty nice cargo.

Good Luck, HTH

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just check that the U-Haul trailer has surge brakes (it likely does) and you'll be fine.

You'll also need a wiring connector/box, which if you have the factory tow package should have. You may need a 4/7 way adapter depending on the truck's connector and the trailer wiring (which is probably only a 4-way). U-haul will likely have these when you pick up the trailer.

Just leave extra distance when following people, drive safely, and keep OK off. My truck pulls my 6k# car and trailer just fine.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all the tips. This won't be my first time towing but I mostly tow my Tahoe Q6 (boat) and that tailer has surge brakes. I didn't know UHaul's trailer had the same kind of brake system so now I feel awhole lot better. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm heading to pick up the mustang after work today so I will let everyone know how the Tundra pulled by tomorrow!

·
Registered
346 Posts
i towed my 69 mustang that my dad gave me from los angeles to bakersfield,ca (112 miles) and i went through a 5% incline 3 or 4 miles long and the same going down on the other side. i didnt want to push it so i averaged 60-65mph and the trailer i had didnt have any brakes and i dont have a brake controller (it was my first time towing so i didnt know about the laws:rolleyes: ) but i think it did great and at the time temperatures were just over 100 degrees but my best memory about the trip was i took my co-worker that owns a 05 or 06 titan:td: and he kept telling me how nice the ride is and good it tows:D I would just get that brake controller if you have the funds available because you know you will need it again later. FULLY restored huh? must be nice:clown: my mustang needs...... well by feb. next year i will be perfect and my daily driver:cool:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'll tell you one thing....your tundra has a longer wheelbase than the expedition & would likely handle it just as good if not better.

The expedition supposedly has more power on paper, but as a lot of us know, the RWHP is about 200 :td: . That's with the 5.4L in the trucks anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trailer brake controller

Does anyone know of a trailer brake controller that integrates into the Tundra 07 dash. I just recieved my 07 and can't believe controller technology hasn't progress beyond the units that mount external to the dash. The only complaint I have about the 07 is if I install the controller where I can get to it my right knee will interfere with it.

Love the rest of the truck !

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brought her home just fine!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts