Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a DC TRD Off Road and of course it comes with the skid plates. The one I see in front on my truck is black steel I believe. I'm wondering though if I was supposed to get the lighter grey one I've seen on the front of other trucks? Or is that part of another package?

Thanks,

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
The gray (aluminum) one is an additional accessory that may be part of an option package or purchased separately.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
If you want REAL skidplates you're going to have to go aftermarket.

Neither Toyota skidplates do more good than a piece of construction paper.

-rockstate

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I just picked up a DC TRD Off Road and of course it comes with the skid plates. The one I see in front on my truck is black steel I believe. I'm wondering though if I was supposed to get the lighter grey one I've seen on the front of other trucks? Or is that part of another package?

Thanks,
and IMO that other one looks like a flat piece of gray metal stuck in a place it doesnt belong and looks like Ch!t.

but yeah, as already mentioned, the skid plates arent nothin to brag about anyway....heck mine dented and caved in the first outting and i didnt even know anything was tall enough for that...i think i get dings from rocks on the hwy in it....all they do is get in the way for an oil change and make a loud clang if u think u have the hooks hooked and let go for half a second to retrieve the socket u dropped and it hits the garage floor.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Ordered my 'POSER' Toyota skidplate today from Clearwater Toyota on Ebay.

$179 shipped! Hey...for $179, who cares if it folds like a napkin when I hit a plastic grocery bag blowing across the highway!!!

At least it'll look good doin' it?!!! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
A cinder block fell off a truck the other day and I took it down the center, my 'POSER' skid plate took the hit. Upon inspection, I've got a nice scrape in the skid plate, but no other damage whatsoever. It didn't even bend. Now I wouldn't go crawling over a rock with it, but it definitely saved me a trip to the shop for a leaking transmission pan that was bent. I guess it's worth it looking like 'Chit' to save me that repair hassle. Mine came with the plate, but based on this event alone I'd pay to replace it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
OK...my cocktail napkin of a skid plate showed up today!!!!:D

Tomorrow weather permitting, I will install and get some close-up shots.

$179.00 on Ebay...Clearwater Toyota | Used Car & New Toyota Dealer Serving Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg. FREE freight too.

If it saves me just one $180 repair of the undercarriage someday??????

Party on Garth!

EDIT- It's really unclear in the instructions...anyone know if the factory skid plate (engine undercover) comes off to make room for this one? There seems to be new hardware that would make me believe such? H E L P!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
OK...my cocktail napkin of a skid plate showed up today!!!!:D

Tomorrow weather permitting, I will install and get some close-up shots.

$179.00 on Ebay...Clearwater Toyota | Used Car & New Toyota Dealer Serving Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg. FREE freight too.

If it saves me just one $180 repair of the undercarriage someday??????

Party on Garth!

EDIT- It's really unclear in the instructions...anyone know if the factory skid plate (engine undercover) comes off to make room for this one? There seems to be new hardware that would make me believe such? H E L P!!!!
It goes over it. Remove 4 factory screws and replaced with new hardware and spacers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It does not replace the black skid plate already there. You just need to remove old bolts to be able to use the supplied longer bolts accomodating the new "chit" skid plate. This makes it more difficult during oil change to change the filter. I made a hole in mine so I do not have to remove the skid plates during oil change. You can search the posts here about skid plate and oil change to see pictures of this mod.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I made a hole in mine so I do not have to remove the skid plates during oil change. You can search the posts here about skid plate and oil change to see pictures of this mod.
Bright Idea. :tu:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
OK Fellas...and Ladies,

I need some serious help here. Please? The selling dealer is unable to help.

I recieved this skidplate from Toyota. pn#PT212-34070 I have a 4.6 2WD.

The instructions are attached here for all to see. In FIG.4-1 it states to attach the two supplied 8MM bolts/washers to the rear holes in the undercover..... Also attached is a pic. of 'said' holes in skidplate. (I've highlighted them) PROBLEM: recieving holes in undercover are large openings designed for your socket and wratchet to remove the 3" recessed 'rear' bolts to attach undercover. Therefore, there are NO threads for the rear skidplate attaching bolts! WTH?
Anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pretty sure back in step 2 (figure 2-1) you were supposed to remove them bolts and thus creating a threaded opening.....YMMV

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Pretty sure back in step 2 (figure 2-1) you were supposed to remove them bolts and thus creating a threaded opening.....YMMV
Here is the pan actually removed from my rustbucket!

The top of the photo is the front of the cover. The two front bolts go through a short opening. The end of the cover near the floor is the rear....
You can see two large openings for your socket extension to go through for the rear bolt attachments. UNFORTUNATELY, the rear bolt holes of the skidplate, line up directly with the two large openings for the rear bolts! Hence...no threads on surface. There is a 3" depth under the rear of the cover for access to the rear mounting bolts. Thus leaving the rear of the skidplate with NO mounting points???

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
That skid plate maybe for a 4.7V8 not a 4.6V8. I see on sparks that 4.6 V8 skid plate ihas part no. PT212-34071. Call the seller and verify.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Here it is laid out on the floor...I don't know why I didn't think of this layout before?! :duh:

You can see how the front bolts go through with aluminum spacers to reach down-in. Then in the rear there is no provision to reach that 3" down???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
That skid plate maybe for a 4.7V8 not a 4.6V8. I see on sparks that 4.6 V8 skid plate ihas part no. PT212-34071. Call the seller and verify.
:doh: Arrrgghhh!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
pinoy...you are SPOT ON!!

Just got off the phone with the dealer in Fla. where I got the plate.

For clarification for anyone else that wants to do this in the future:

pn#PT212-34070 fits: Tundra with 4.7 Engine
pn#PT212-34071 fits: Tundra with 4.6 & 5.7 Engines

I don't mind being the guinea pig here for everyone. I am out of work and have plenty of time to d--k with this now!

Thanks to all for looking at this. I will post some good 'different angle' shots of the finsihed product when it's finally mounted. It's actually a pretty nice sturdy piece!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hmm.... I thought my 4.6L 2wd would not fit the skid plate. I believe sparks has a list of trucks it will and will not fit on their website... may want to check that out too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts