Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchase my 04 and have service manuals comming in the mail....until then can someone tell me whats involed to replaced the in-tank fuel filter ?
59k miles...I don't care what the service interval is.....probably something rediculous like 90k miles...
thx

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay-
Found this @ ToyotaNation:
First - someone who works at a dealership says you don't need to replace them (filters) and the dealer does not even stock them.

Uhmmm I don't think so......
This following info looks good - NOTE : because there is 'goo' for a gasket you probably need to be carefull (add more goo?) reassembling to keep a tight seal since the system is pressurized !

Second - someone with common sense-
I replaced the Highlander fuel filter on my 2003 4 cylinder with ~30K miles. You only have to remove the left rear seat to gain access to the fuel filter/pump inspection plate in spite of what the shop manual says.... Do this in a well ventilated area with no combustibles about. To remove the seat you have to gently pry up the forward edge of the cargo floor, pop off the seat back bottom carpet, unbolt the seat ( 4 bolts ) & peel up the left hand rear carpet . Lift out the circular plate with the wire harness running through the center. It is held in place with some black goo. Next unhook the fuel line using your fingers ( no tools ) and unplug the wiring connector after releasing it at the forward side with screwdriver. Mark the orientation of the assembly as it sits in the tank. Then unscrew the attaching bolts ( 8mm or 5/16 ) and gently draw out the fuel sender/pump/filter assembly. You'll have to disconnect a rubber hose before the assembly is free of the car. Swap the parts onto the new filter & reinstall everything.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Let us know what you find when you're done, some pics of the old filter would be great.

But I'm under the impression it's a lifetime filter, and while I'm certainly no fan of most things "lifetime", all you really need to do for this goal is increase filter media area and those I've seen on Hondas is large enough for me to think it won't need replacement at any point.

If I were you I'd be worried about the ATF moreso than this, all it has is a screen and T-IV fluid isn't the best stuff in the world.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Weird. The Purolator app looks like a screen, and I've only seen screens come from OEM lately, but I pay more attention to the I4 than the V6. Maybe the filters are different?

Part Detail Popup

I thought about a Magnefine or clone (I couldn't care less about the magnet, but it is a paper pleated filter with a high-pressure bypass) because I drained at 40,000 and it looked bad, now I drained at 60,000 and it actually looked really good so I'm not as worried.

Anyway, good luck with the tank filter and let us know what you find!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on the Camrys there was NO frequency for changing specified- mine is at 200k miles now no problems
We got off topic.....we're talking trans. filters not fuel.......unless you are saying you never changed a Camry trans filter in 200k miles...DOH !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts