Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 130k mile 00 V8 AC appears to be suffering from planetary gear problems - slipping/flared shifts and slamming in to gear.

Two part question, from the position of A) I'm doing the work myself and B) I probably can't afford a performance rebuild.

1) Is it as easy as it looks to remove/reinstall the trans? I looked briefly, it looks not so hard. Any gotchas?

2) What should I replace it with? Would other 4.7 4sp from newer years connect mechanically/electrically? The 03/04 are reported to have better Planetary gears based on my reading.

Thanks for your advice,

Scott

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
My 130k mile 00 V8 AC appears to be suffering from planetary gear problems - slipping/flared shifts and slamming in to gear.

Two part question, from the position of A) I'm doing the work myself and B) I probably can't afford a performance rebuild.

1) Is it as easy as it looks to remove/reinstall the trans? I looked briefly, it looks not so hard. Any gotchas?

2) What should I replace it with? Would other 4.7 4sp from newer years connect mechanically/electrically? The 03/04 are reported to have better Planetary gears based on my reading.

Thanks for your advice,

Scott
It's not hard at all. Just a lot of bolts to keep track of. The only bolt(s) I had issues with was the two at the top of the bell housing. Having a tranny jack definitely helps and an extra pair of hands. I did mine on my sloped driveway.

As far as replacing it, you're looking for the A340F model. Either from a sequoia or tundra from 00-03 The 04's came out with the 5 speed A750F(auto) and A750E(manual). Same time the Double cabs were introduced.

The dealer will be asking around $2100 plus $1000 core charge. IPT trans, IIRC, charges around $2800 for a performance tranny.
Otherwise, look around the yards or check out some of the online dealers for a used tranny. I got mine from ETS - Engine Transmission Store Home Page. It was shipped from Florida to my house for $1500 total with 6 month warranty and no core charge. The tranny only had 15K miles on it.

My tranny blew at around 72K miles back in 04. I now have about 93K miles. If this one blows, I'm getting one from IPT trans.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I read that 00-02 have the same (weaker) parts, where as it was improved in '03, so I'll hunt down one of those.

Thanks!
Scott

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
dyogim: How long did it take from start to finish to replace your tranny? How many people did you have helping you?

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
dyogim: How long did it take from start to finish to replace your tranny? How many people did you have helping you?
All together, the time could total up to about a weekend's worth. Took me about a month. At most there was one extra pair of hands helping me remove the tranny and remove/install the bolts. This can be a one person job. I wanted help because my driveway is sloped.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My goal would be a single day, but, then, I've changed lots of transmissions on race cars, and this thing looks easy in comparison (lots of room to reach bolts!)

Someone without all the fancy tools i've collected (swivels, extensions) I could see needing a whole weekend.

Scott

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is a340E a manual or a 2wd? I have seen posts that say both, and I found a vendor who insists E is the 2wd. I have a 2wd, its signifigant.

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts