Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone had done any runs to compare times with letting it shift automatically vs manual shifting.

~JH

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
AUTO is better i tried my sequential shift and it didnt get me a better time in fact a little worse and im talking not even a second worse so it wasnt even worth the trouble

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
theres no way youre going to beat the computer. all you would do by running it in sequential, is adding more work for yourself, for at best, equal results. there is no way to maually shift. sequential just controls the maximum allowed gear. so if you drop it to first, then floor it, you have to watch the tach, to try and shift at redline. but thats what the truck does in AUTO, when you floor it anyway. and the computer can shift it closer to redline than you will.

the only real benefits of sequential mode. is to lower the gear for towing up hills, and for engine breaking going downhill.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The only place the the manual shift may help you is at the 1-2 shift because the computer doesn't shift at redline in 1st for some reason. You'd have to have pretty good timing for it to count

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Yes I know it short shifts 1-2 but I didn't realize you could use sequential to stretch that out a bit?

·
Registered
148 Posts
except you'll be bouncing on the limiter unless you know exactly when to nudge it in 2nd as the manual shifts are sloooooowwww!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
^^ +1 on that, there is too much delay when shifting manually. What would've been really cool is a manual transmission. I'm not sure how much faster it would be but it would be really fun in thos s/c'd trucks you guys have!!

·
Registered
945 Posts
theres no way youre going to beat the computer. all you would do by running it in sequential, is adding more work for yourself, for at best, equal results. there is no way to maually shift. sequential just controls the maximum allowed gear. so if you drop it to first, then floor it, you have to watch the tach, to try and shift at redline. but thats what the truck does in AUTO, when you floor it anyway. and the computer can shift it closer to redline than you will.

the only real benefits of sequential mode. is to lower the gear for towing up hills, and for engine breaking going downhill.
What he said! Good explanation

·
Registered
819 Posts
Like Maylon said the manual mode has a lag. All my vehicles before the Tundra were manual trans. I sometimes wish the Tundra was a 6 speed manual, what fun to be had with one. The automatic is nice in traffic and just cruising. I say race in auto.

·
Registered
630 Posts
There's to many things to do on a manual shift to run on a track and like everybody here said the shifts are to slow and not on the same time every time.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
S mode in the Tundra is not like a manual transmission or automatic with manual valve body. The computer still hoovers in the background. I've tried launching from S1 all the way to 4th and there is a delay between the time you manually shift and the time the transmission actually shifts. But backing off on the accelerator pedal a bit just before you manually shift will fool the computer that that's all the acceleration you need and will upshift faster to the next higher gear. Once it upshifts, hit the pedal hard again and it will continue to accelerate. Make sure the rpm's are high enough so the tranny will not downshift. It's tricky and requires practice. This is good if your traction is poor and don't want to apply huge amounts of torque and power at once. A shift light would be nice.

Good quality fuel also affects transmission shifts in a good way.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
The only place the the manual shift may help you is at the 1-2 shift because the computer doesn't shift at redline in 1st for some reason.
it does that to protect the engine and transmission...shifting below redline will not hurt you time wise in 1st gear but maybe .2 seconds if that maybe .1...if that was the case why someone would lose a drag race..... then you better get more power somewhere else and beat them by 1 full second.

·
Registered
984 Posts
If your racing in the 1/8th, leave it in S mode in 4th gear. By the time you near the finish of the 1/8 your right in the sweet spot of 4th gear. In the 1/4 leave in 5th gear. Same thing applies. Gutz showed me this and it was good for almost a tenth and about 1/2 a mph faster. I know its splitting hairs but it does work. You pull pretty hard all the way to the end.

For S/C tundras I think you need to leave it in 4th in the 1/4. That's what Gutz did in his 12 second 1/4 mile run. I think the TRD reflash does change up the shift points a little because when i tried to leave it in 4th gear the whole 1/4 being N/A, I ended up running out of gear near the end and had to manual shift to 5th.

·
Registered
148 Posts
the trd supercharger reflash does slightly change the shift point from 1st to 2nd but after that it's the same as the oem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts