Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

New here and looking to start learning my Tundra. Bought my wife her FJ62 and really started enjoying working on it which has lead me to wanting to do the same on my Tundra.

Been in need of some TLC and plan to replace the front axles, but also noticed that my rack and pinion seals are really shot and starting to leak power steering fluid. My question is can one just replace seals on these or is it best to buy a whole new rack and pinion and replace it?

Also, if in there for that is it smart to just go ahead and replace the tie rods?

Truck has 210K miles on it and all still original in steering and axles etc... asked over on Ih8mud about what all should be done if I am already in there replacing front axles.

As a newbie I don't know when tie rods, hubs etc... are shot.

Anyone here of/use MOOG parts? I saw they had complete front end rebuild packages with everything needed or best to stay with OEM? Only thing convenient about them is it is all there for me... otherwise how do you know what all to order for a proper rebuild

Well thanks for the input.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Hey all -

New here and looking to start learning my Tundra. Bought my wife her FJ62 and really started enjoying working on it which has lead me to wanting to do the same on my Tundra.

Been in need of some TLC and plan to replace the front axles, but also noticed that my rack and pinion seals are really shot and starting to leak power steering fluid. My question is can one just replace seals on these or is it best to buy a whole new rack and pinion and replace it?

Also, if in there for that is it smart to just go ahead and replace the tie rods?

Truck has 210K miles on it and all still original in steering and axles etc... asked over on Ih8mud about what all should be done if I am already in there replacing front axles.

As a newbie I don't know when tie rods, hubs etc... are shot.

Anyone here of/use MOOG parts? I saw they had complete front end rebuild packages with everything needed or best to stay with OEM? Only thing convenient about them is it is all there for me... otherwise how do you know what all to order for a proper rebuild

Well thanks for the input.
I have an 02 tundra and only one seal is replaceable. I'm not sure if it's on the left or right side. Personally itll be better to go with a rebuilt rack or new OEM. Either one should include the inner tie rods. Since a rebuilt one can still use a worn housing, I would go with new OEM. My last rebuilt rack from the dealer leaked within 9 months. Last time I checked several years back a new OEM rack for me was about $550 uninstalled. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts