Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

today i finally had my truck aligned (02 tundra 4x4 4.7 auto) and the mechanic said i had a small leak from the rack and pinion, he also said not to worry about it just keep an eye on it, i was in a hurry so i didnt think much of it, i got thinking about it and i was wondering if its a seal you can change? or do i have to buy a whole new rack and pinion?

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,540 Posts

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
If that doesn't work. At least be aware that the seal on the passenger side can be purchased through toyota, but the seal on the driver's side cannot. I have the same problem. Unfortunately, my leak was CAUSED by the guy doing the toe alignment.

I've seen some posts on this forum though, that suggest getting a rebuilt steering rack since the seals are difficult to replace and tear easily.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
It kind of depends on where it's leaking from, and why.

The early models used a roller for the left hand guide on the steering rack, positioned between two shims. As the shims wear, the roller begins to have vertical free play, allowing misalignment of the rack gear and eventual degradation of the seals on the double-ended ram side of the rack.

You can replace the guide yourself, I've been looking in to it but haven't bought the new parts yet (appears to be a Teflon coated or similar solid bushing, rather than the roller guide). I wouldn't bother replacing the seals myself unless I had a bunch of time on my hands...for the price, it's easier to simply get a new rack at this point.

If that is not the source of the leak, then I don't know what to tell you...YMMVW where fluid solutions are concerned.

-Sean

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've had 100% success so far using Auto-Rx to stop seal leaks. Specific to a steering rack leak...I had a 2003 G35 that I noticed had oil sprayed all over the left front wheel and surrounding under carriage. I traced it back to an O-ring seal for a bolt on the steering rack. I added 2 ozs of ARX to the steering fluid and within 300 miles the leak had stopped and never leaked again. I flushed the fluid after 1000 miles with some Schaeffer's #204 ATF and all was well until I traded the car about 1 1/2 years ago.

As long as the seal is not damaged or torn, I think Auto-Rx should be your first choice for corrective measures. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts