Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a TSB on my radio....'07 DC with 6 disc player.......it now shuts down by itself but will come back on if I tap on it hard enough on the volume control.

I need to call my dealer and I want as much info as possible because it's a intermittent problem and my 3 year warranty is up by the end of the month. I hate to just go all the way down there for them to say it works fine now which it does....do you think they will just take my word that the radio is having problems....any suggestions or help is Greatly Appreciated.

Bob

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
My '07 radio did the same when it was about a year old. It would turn on and off by itself, and then quit all together. There wasn't a TSB that I know of, but the Service Manager at the time told me they were replacing about 2-3 radios a week in the Tundras. Mine was replaced and has worked OK for over 2 years. It's the only thing that has failed in my truck in 65k miles...knock on wood!

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
It is a very common problem. Mine has been replaced twice for the same reason. If you plan on keeping the truck consider the platinum extended warranty. One more radio will just about cover the cost.

·
Registered
274 Posts
get it replaced now but consider just upgrading after the warranty is gone. 1000$+ for a stock radio is one of the dumbest bunches of crap ive ever seen. will come out a lot better with non oem down the road imo

·
Registered
363 Posts
Was in the same boat as everyone else, but my replacement has been good for the last two years. Keep an eye on your clock two, they have a tendancy to lose an hour or two of time on a hot summer day with your windows rolled up. If you search there are quite a few radio threads. As I recall the volume control was the main culprit and some successfully cleaned the contacts though most had to have the unit replaced. If out of warranty don't waste your money on OEM there crap to begin with. $300 will buy you twice as much stereo.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
No TSB, but it is a common problem. Take it to the dealer before your warranty runs out (just to avoid the hassle). All they will do is replace that POS with another POS. Mine stared flaking out at 3 months. Had the dealer replace it, but replaced that with a DVD/Nav 2 weeks later.

·
Registered
63 Posts
my problem is similar. The radio doesn't shut off on its own, but the volume would lock up. I was driving to work at 4am one morning and tried to turn the volume down but nothing would happen. It wouldn't work at all. After all but drop kicking the radio I finally got it to work again. My dealership ordered a replacement and offered to swap it, but I never had time to do it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Called dealer and talked to Mike the service manager......explained to him it was intermittent......he said it would have to be NOT working when I brought it in but would check and call me back which he did......so tomorrow I am taking it in so they can write up a service order and order me a new radio.....I ask "can't this be done over the phone" and he said no they need a # off my radio ? ? ? Not sure if I believe that but what choice do I have. BTW Mike isn't going to be there tomorrow so I have to explain this all over again to Jeff the service manager and hope for the best.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Called dealer and talked to Mike the service manager......explained to him it was intermittent......he said it would have to be NOT working when I brought it in but would check and call me back which he did......so tomorrow I am taking it in so they can write up a service order and order me a new radio.....I ask "can't this be done over the phone" and he said no they need a # off my radio ? ? ? Not sure if I believe that but what choice do I have. BTW Mike isn't going to be there tomorrow so I have to explain this all over again to Jeff the service manager and hope for the best.
Dealerships are so stupid!! Why in the world would someone want to waste all of their time going to the dealership if their radio really wasn't broken, just to get it replaced with the same radio???

Good luck to you though!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree......WHY would someone want to waste their time and expensive gasoline for nothing.....however, if this was a GM vehicle I would SCREWED three ways to Broadway........

BTW for anyone who has a volume or on/off problem with their radio.......just keep tapping the volume/on/off harder and harder with you two fingers until you repair it GM style.....LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is there a TSB on my radio....'07 DC with 6 disc player.......it now shuts down by itself but will come back on if I tap on it hard enough on the volume control.

I need to call my dealer and I want as much info as possible because it's a intermittent problem and my 3 year warranty is up by the end of the month. I hate to just go all the way down there for them to say it works fine now which it does....do you think they will just take my word that the radio is having problems....any suggestions or help is Greatly Appreciated.

Bob

I own a 2007 XSP , had the same radio issue, I took it to a local Dealer, explain what the situation was that it was a intermittent problem, which was hard to duplicate as it malfunctioned at certain times,was still with my Warranty, was order last week installed today, no issues

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Radio is now ordered today and will be installed next Thursday.....and they even did a NYS inspection...all in 1 hour......not to mention they gave me a newspaper to read, a TV to watch all while I got to choose from several different flavors of coffee plus muffins and bagels.....friggen better than at home....LOL

Bobby is a happy camper....:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
No volume control- exept trough steering wheel control- jbl 6 disc- i was within the time of warrenty but over 900 on milage. The dealer said no warrenty. I asked if they would call a toyota rep. To try to get it covered- they have done nothing. I know for fact that a toy rep could get it covered. But that would require follow through by service manager. Truth be known only a squeeky wheel gets greased & i wont ***** for a radio exchange that would get me another pos thats been refurbished many times over. I will buy an aftermarket unit in time.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took my Tundra in yesterday per scheduled appointment.......took them 10 extra minutes so they did apologize but they did supply my breakfast...:)

One thing I did notice is all my preset stations are the same as my old radio so I was concerned that they never did change out my radio. However, all my bass, treble, etc... were all different so that told my I in fact have a "newer" radio.....

Now on the guys that did get a after market unit......what, where, how much ? ? ?

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I got a Pioneer AVIC Z2 upgraded with a Z3 hard drive. It wasn't cheap, but it's got all the bells and whistles. DVD/Nav, Bluetooth, iPod, USB, XM, 10gig internal music library; the only thing I can't read are SD cards. The Nav is pretty easy to use, my wife/navigator usually programs it and she has never seen the manual. Since you have an 07, the Scosche dash kit matches the interior perfectly.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Glad I found this thread; I've got the volume control problem that has happened twice in the last year. For some reason, you can't change the volume. I shut the truck off, restarted, and it worked. Sounds like a common problem.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
i did mine too.. there crap... no excuses,,,,

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
i havent really heard of too many come back after the new radio though,, seems like panasonic fixed the issue in the replacements

1 - 20 of 23 Posts