Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else been having this problem in the 2010 CrewMax with their radio.
My radio I have to put it on volume 45 just to hear it while riding with the windows up, cannot even think of how I will not be able to hear it when the windows are down. I took to the dealer and told them that the radio is not working right but they said it works fine. The auto loudness doesn't even work. Does anybody else have this problem? I mean are your radios loud when you have it on volume 45? Mine only goes up to 50?

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
My radio I have to put it on volume 45 just to hear it while riding with the windows up, cannot even think of how I will not be able to hear it when the windows are down. I took to the dealer and told them that the radio is not working right but they said it works fine. The auto loudness doesn't even work. Does anybody else have this problem? I mean are your radios loud when you have it on volume 45? Mine only goes up to 50?

Thanks
In my 07, I heard mine just fine at around 15 to 20...plenty of room to crank it up if needed.

I've since swapped it out for an aftermarket unit though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took it back twice for the radio and had them tell me both times that there is nothing wrong with it. I tell them to take a drive with me so I can show them when the truck is moving and how you can't hear anything from the radio. But they keep on telling me that they are to back up for a rep to ride with me and that they hear the radio just fine in the shop. I even ask my wife and kids if it's just me and they all say they can't hear it..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2010 Crew Max with the JBL audio/nav system. It is comfortably loud at 10 or 15. I like it up at 20 or so when I am by myself, but its fairly loud then. I think 30 is really loud. I bet I could hear it on the freeway with the windows down at 45!

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
I took it back twice for the radio and had them tell me both times that there is nothing wrong with it. I tell them to take a drive with me so I can show them when the truck is moving and how you can't hear anything from the radio. But they keep on telling me that they are to back up for a rep to ride with me and that they hear the radio just fine in the shop. I even ask my wife and kids if it's just me and they all say they can't hear it..
Take it to another dealer. They are yanking your chain. 45 is LOUD. People outside should be able to hear it at 45.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
I just had a new one installed under warranty (2nd time). The old one wanted to be at about 18, this one more like 12 or 13.:cool:
45 is just not normal. Mine would shatter windows at that setting.:eek:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
When I do the recall I'll get my radio replaced. The thang acted up on the way home from the dealer, course I owned a DODGE for 11 years before getting the TUNDRA so I just assumed this was normal. Course it's been a year and a half, going to the dealer is not on my favorite to do list. I just thump the hell out of the volumn control and it works fine for a few weeks.

Funny my little red 03 frontier work truck xe radio motor everythang works just fine.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Since you did not mention which radio, I assume the basic. They are not loud. You may be getting hard of hearing too. I agree they don't put out much volume, the worse I've ever seen but they are what you have. I bought an amp to help mine, just waiting for warmer weather to install.
Aftermarket may be your best option. The dealer cannot give you a better radio free unless they are willing to eat the cost. Not likely.
People with the JBL with amp have a much louder system.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the basic (non jbl) stereo is plenty loud....if i were to turn mine up to 45 i'd have to roll the windows down just to let some of the sound pressure out of the dam thing.... teens to 20 is where its plenty loud. plenty. if u cant hear it then yes, there is something wrong with it. even the most basic econobox base stereo should be able to be heard at low volume....if not, take it back. if they still swear nothign wrong, look at a new one and show them.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Since you did not mention which radio, I assume the basic. They are not loud. You may be getting hard of hearing too. I agree they don't put out much volume, the worse I've ever seen but they are what you have. I bought an amp to help mine, just waiting for warmer weather to install.
Aftermarket may be your best option. The dealer cannot give you a better radio free unless they are willing to eat the cost. Not likely.
People with the JBL with amp have a much louder system.

just compared mine with an 07 limited up here at work, both go up just as loud, the non jbl just gets muddier and isnt as clear but theres not a difference in loudness just the quality..which really isnt much anyway.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

Thanks
also the fact the auto loudness not working should clue them in that the radio isnt right.

my non jbl stereo - i have to leave the auto vlume thing on the lwoest setting. if i turn it up any more than that, it gets too loud when i get up to highway speeds.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Huh, what, I can't hear what your saying.

How do I change the auto volume setting?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
My base radio, 1 cd, is the second one in my truck. It doesn't get real loud and I don't include the distorted beyond understanding range. When it gets warm enough, I'll have the amp mounted which should solve the problem. These trucks need 40w rms as a minimum. And this from a person that has all their other volume controls near the bottom of their range.
Maybe the 6cd has more power. It would be nice to compare but it seems most people just replace the stock anyways.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I HAVE A 2010 CM ALSO AND i POSTED THE SAME THING IT ISN'T VERY LOUD AT ALL NOT THAT I'M LOOKING FOR THE BASS TO SOUND LIKE A EXPLOSION LIKE IN SOME OF THE AFTERMARKETS BUT THE OVERALL PERFORMANCE IN THE SOUND ISN'T VERYLOUD,MINE IS A JBL,SINGLE DISC AM/FM CASSETTE AND THE QUALITY JUST IS NOT THERE.I WAS TOLD TO ADJUST THE SETTINGS,YOU ALSO HAVE TO ADJUST THE SETTINGS SEPERATE FOR THE DISC PLAYER ALSO BEEN LOOKING FOR A REPLACEMENT SINCE I BOUGHT THE TRUCK JUST WANT A STOCK APPEARANCE NOTHING TO FANCY IT'S JUST SOMETIMES YOU WANT TO CRANK A SONG OR TWO WHEN CRUISIN AND THIS RADIO COMES UP WAY SHORT OF DOING THAT!!SO YES THERE IS A ISSUE WITH THE 2010 RADIO SETUP.POEPLE THAT RESPOND HAVE A OLDER RADIO'S THAT CAME STOCK AND THE NEW 2010'S ARE LOOKING THE SAME BUT THE OUTPUT IS MUCH LESS MAYBE COST ISSUE BUT IF YOU WANT THE BETTER SOUNDING RADIO THAT IS AVAILABLE THROUGH TOYOTA JBL WITH A 100 WATT AMP YOU OF COURSE WOULD HAVE PAID FOR IT BECAUSE TOYOTA ISN'T GOING TO GIVE IT AWAY!!ABOUT 470 MORE TO THE TOTAL COST OPTION IF YOU DID.SO LOOKING FOR A 6 DISC SYSTEM OEM IF ANYONE HAS ONE FOR SALE.ALSO HAVE YOU SEEN FORDS NEW RADIO STOCK ?YOU PUT YOUR DISC IN IT READS IT AND COPY'S IT AND STORE'S IT PERMANTLEY ON A HARD DRIVE BUILT INTO THE RADIO NO NEED FOR STORING DISC'S MORE ROOM FOR STUFF IN THE CENTER CONSOLE GREAT CONCEPT ON THE NEW FORDS!! I'M SURE TOYOTA WILL COME OUT WITH SOMETHING SIMILIAR SOON TO COUNTER REACT TECHNOLIGY.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I HAVE A 2010 CM ALSO AND i POSTED THE SAME THING IT ISN'T VERY LOUD AT ALL NOT THAT I'M LOOKING FOR THE BASS TO SOUND LIKE A EXPLOSION LIKE IN SOME OF THE AFTERMARKETS BUT THE OVERALL PERFORMANCE IN THE SOUND ISN'T VERYLOUD,MINE IS A JBL,SINGLE DISC AM/FM CASSETTE AND THE QUALITY JUST IS NOT THERE.I WAS TOLD TO ADJUST THE SETTINGS,YOU ALSO HAVE TO ADJUST THE SETTINGS SEPERATE FOR THE DISC PLAYER ALSO BEEN LOOKING FOR A REPLACEMENT SINCE I BOUGHT THE TRUCK JUST WANT A STOCK APPEARANCE NOTHING TO FANCY IT'S JUST SOMETIMES YOU WANT TO CRANK A SONG OR TWO WHEN CRUISIN AND THIS RADIO COMES UP WAY SHORT OF DOING THAT!!SO YES THERE IS A ISSUE WITH THE 2010 RADIO SETUP.POEPLE THAT RESPOND HAVE A OLDER RADIO'S THAT CAME STOCK AND THE NEW 2010'S ARE LOOKING THE SAME BUT THE OUTPUT IS MUCH LESS MAYBE COST ISSUE BUT IF YOU WANT THE BETTER SOUNDING RADIO THAT IS AVAILABLE THROUGH TOYOTA JBL WITH A 100 WATT AMP YOU OF COURSE WOULD HAVE PAID FOR IT BECAUSE TOYOTA ISN'T GOING TO GIVE IT AWAY!!ABOUT 470 MORE TO THE TOTAL COST OPTION IF YOU DID.SO LOOKING FOR A 6 DISC SYSTEM OEM IF ANYONE HAS ONE FOR SALE.ALSO HAVE YOU SEEN FORDS NEW RADIO STOCK ?YOU PUT YOUR DISC IN IT READS IT AND COPY'S IT AND STORE'S IT PERMANTLEY ON A HARD DRIVE BUILT INTO THE RADIO NO NEED FOR STORING DISC'S MORE ROOM FOR STUFF IN THE CENTER CONSOLE GREAT CONCEPT ON THE NEW FORDS!! I'M SURE TOYOTA WILL COME OUT WITH SOMETHING SIMILIAR SOON TO COUNTER REACT TECHNOLIGY.
Your radio must be very loud because you are yelling!!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
ok. its rude to all caps in a forum. :)

glad mine isnt the 2010 version then.....my 07 version works just fine and sounds decent. its not the harmon kardon in our benz but for what it is, its leaps and bounds better than my silverado was. you guys with the 2010s, im sorry yota screwed u guys if its as bad as u say. wonder why people that have traded up from an 07-09 into a 10 havent said anything....

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Your radio must be very loud because you are yelling!!
You beat me to it. Da*mn. What'd you say? Speak up boy, I'm old and a little deef.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Mine is 08 and I was listening to the radio this morning. It was fine at 15. But you add a lot of traffic, open windows or the blower on high, you cannot really hear the radio so you crank it up, and it quickly distorts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts