Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Tundra Limited DC that has a small water leak every time it rains out heavy overnight. I would see some water on top around the center and right side mostly of the rubber floor mat on the front passenger side. I have tried to replicate the leak by spraying water on top and around the passenger side door and roof top but can not see where it can leak. I have checked the rubber weather strips around the door and window and there does not seem to be anything wrong or out of the ordinary.

Have anyone had this same thing happened to their Tundra and what might be the cause of this water leak? Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Roll the windows up, turn your defrost on high, and shut the doors. Then spray soapy water around the doors, windshield, etc. There should be bubbles wherever the leak is. It's an easy way to pinpoint leaks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. I did get the left side cowl TSB fix done at the dealer to eliminate rattle noise and so I will have to check that and the firewall areas to make sure nothing is missing. Those young mechanics at the dealer sometimes break and mess up things more than fix the problem. I realize that some washers were missing and the hood was a lot lower after they try to fix the rattle noise. If I can repair things, I would avoid taking my truck to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
This has been covered many times on the forum. It's either 1. one or more of the fresh air intake vent screw holes leaking, or 2. a clogged A/C drain line. If #1, put a dab of silicon sealant in the holes and reinstall the screws. If #2, make sure the drain hose exiting the passenger firewall is free of debris.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Remmy700P,

Sorry, I am not a mechanic myself. Are you talking about the screws holding the cover on the air intake or something else? Also, where can I find the A/C drain line in my truck? Have any pictures to point me in the right direction.

Rained last night and sure enough had some water on my rubber floormat again. Not much water, but the problem is still not solve yet.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
Remmy700P,

Sorry, I am not a mechanic myself. Are you talking about the screws holding the cover on the air intake or something else? Also, where can I find the A/C drain line in my truck? Have any pictures to point me in the right direction.

Rained last night and sure enough had some water on my rubber floormat again. Not much water, but the problem is still not solve yet.
If you can pinpoint the leak to rain, then disregard the A/C drain as a culprit.

Your leak is probably coming from water getting in through a cracked fresh air intake grate screw grommet. Remove the wiper blades, the remove all eight screws that hold the intake grate on. Remove the grate and closely inspect each plastic grommet. I bet you find that one is cracked and/or otherwise damaged. Apply a dab of clear silicon sealant to each screw hole and reinstall the vent and wipers. That should fix it.

Post back your results.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
If you can pinpoint the leak to rain, then disregard the A/C drain as a culprit.

Your leak is probably coming from water getting in through a cracked fresh air intake grate screw grommet. Remove the wiper blades, the remove all eight screws that hold the intake grate on. Remove the grate and closely inspect each plastic grommet. I bet you find that one is cracked and/or otherwise damaged. Apply a dab of clear silicon sealant to each screw hole and reinstall the vent and wipers. That should fix it.

Post back your results.
I did the same thing after mine started leaking. It went away. I thought this fix was BS when I first read it. I still dont see how it does anything. Those plasitc grommets are not supposed to be water tight. If they were they would have a rubber seal not a foam one. The foam type is just to reduce possible rattles not stop water leaks. Not to mention, those screw holes do not separte the interior from the exterior of the vehicle. How this stops a water leak is beyond me, but it has seemed to stop the leak for me. I just cant wrap my head around what it's doing to stop the leaks thats all.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Roll the windows up, turn your defrost on high, and shut the doors. Then spray soapy water around the doors, windshield, etc. There should be bubbles wherever the leak is. It's an easy way to pinpoint leaks.

Great idea!! Tried to send you points but unable to.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Remmy700P,

I finally know what you are talking about now. I did not know what and where the fresh air intake vent you were talking about. Now I know it is the one by the windshield wipers. Sorry, I am just slow with vehicle parts and terms.

Tomorrow, I will take the wipers off and take off the air vent to inspect the screw holes for damage. I will seal the hole with silicon to see if that fixes the problem. I am hoping this is the fix. Fingers cross. Will report back the result.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good news so far after I put silicone on the screw holes and plastic grommets. I found that one of the plastic grommet was missing in the center left side and I also broke one trying to put the plastic grommet back in. I had to order a couple plastic grommets and caps from the dealer to replace them and will put it in once they arrive. I just put silicone in the holes for now to prevent water from going in and causing leak.

I want to thank you guys, especially Remmy700P, for your help on this fix. It seems to be holding up so far after it rained again last night. We will be getting rain all day today and so far I don't see any leaks on the floor mats.

I just want to express my appreciation for all the help. This website is great and full of knowledgeable people. You guys save me a big headache trying to find the problem and not wasting my time and money trying to have the dealer or shops figure this out. Two thumbs up for the great people on here. :tu::tu:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts