Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 5100's on top notch and a wheelers 1.5 AAL in the rear. Been about 3 years since the AAL and seems like it has sag a bit and now it's pretty much leveled if not lower in the rear. Anyhow, so I just want to know what you people would do, drop the front to the 4th notch OR put a 1" block in the rear. Is the extra 1" block combined with the 1.5" AAL safe? Need opinions please... btw, plan on 285's in the future and would the 4th notch of the 5100's clear them? If not then my only option will be 1" block in the rear.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
:lol: I am just guessing... but since you have so many posts people here are waiting for you to find the information you seek through the search function. :noidea: :D

I don't know for sure but I think you will need different rims or some wheel spacers for 285s, or you will be cutting/modifying something on the truck.

If it were me I would not stack the two. I would probably go with some different leaf springs (like Deavers) unless you are hauling some weight around regularly. I have the AALs and airbags. Works for me but then I am on the middle notch and probably have 1000 lbs in the back almost all the time.

You could probably get away with doing what you are suggesting.

Also, you could pull the AALs off and just do a 1.5" or 2" block and call it good. No sagging then... just depends on the ride type you are into.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re your main question of whether to raise rear or lower front, I'd say ask yourself if you need the height increase (because it costs you money to do) or if you can stand to just drop the front a notch or so (which shouldn't cost you anything) and may improve your ride by increasing droop travel that little, teeny bit.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I say lean back, you are from California! Makes it look like you are hauling butt!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Last lift I installed on a Chevy came with both Add a leaf and blocks. Came with both, installed both. No issues. But its not a work truck, just a haul *** through the mud truck. Should be safe, as the AAL is for added loading support(not weight increase) and the blocks are for lift. Same relative location, two different applications/needs/uses.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Hey Integra, what shocks are you running in the rear? If you do put a block in with the add a leaf, you will need longer rear shocks. I think bilstein 5150's will work for you, I know 5100's are only meant to go 1" over stock height so don't use those in the rear if you stack the lift up.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re your main question of whether to raise rear or lower front, I'd say ask yourself if you need the height increase (because it costs you money to do) or if you can stand to just drop the front a notch or so (which shouldn't cost you anything) and may improve your ride by increasing droop travel that little, teeny bit.
true. but i thought at only 30 bucks for the rear, it wasn't bad.

Last lift I installed on a Chevy came with both Add a leaf and blocks. Came with both, installed both. No issues. But its not a work truck, just a haul *** through the mud truck. Should be safe, as the AAL is for added loading support(not weight increase) and the blocks are for lift. Same relative location, two different applications/needs/uses.
thanks! this was what i was hoping for. i just dodn't know if it would cause any problems down the road.

I say lean back, you are from California! Makes it look like you are hauling butt!

Hey Integra, what shocks are you running in the rear? If you do put a block in with the add a leaf, you will need longer rear shocks. I think bilstein 5150's will work for you, I know 5100's are only meant to go 1" over stock height so don't use those in the rear if you stack the lift up.
hehe, caLEEfornia, yeah, i don't really like the "pre-runner" look. would mind the look if it was really built for the desert though.

you know i didn't even think about the rear shocks. i still have the stock shock back there and i'm sure they are almost maxed out if not already. so going with 1" block in the rear i would HAVE to get new shocks. well, that kinda answered my questions.

thanks for inputs fellas!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not only do I have the same color, model, 5100 lift and year truck as yours I also had the exact same problem with the rear sagging just enough to notice. It bugged me after about a year. To compound the problem I have a Snugtop shell, a sleeping platform in the bed, and regularly haul dirtbikes using a hitch mounted carrier. Talk about dragging ***...:td:

The solution: a 1 inch block from Wheelers. The block along with the AAL's made the truck sit the way it should even when loaded. The truck rides great, it was cheap, extremely easy to install (1 hour) and it solved the problem. :tu:

I run 285's and I'm thinking of making the move to 305's provided I can figure out the proper wheel offset.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts