Toyota Tundra Forums banner

201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Got another layer of glass on the scoop. Got the air box fabricated and working on the lid tonight. Coming together nicely. Hoping to push 22 MPG tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
DUDE! :clap:
You may not like the finish of that but it looks awesome. You might benefit from some kind of a step up at the start of the tube, looks like an adapter or something slightly larger in diameter at the joint would give a smooth transition. I'm digging this move.

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
DUDE! :clap:
You may not like the finish of that but it looks awesome. You might benefit from some kind of a step up at the start of the tube, looks like an adapter or something slightly larger in diameter at the joint would give a smooth transition. I'm digging this move.
Going to pour in some more resin to smooth those areas out but want to form up a velocity stack for the tube entrance. Cannot wait to get back and get the box formed up.

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Got the floor formed up and have the first level of the walls glued up as well. Have the intake tube support fabricated and in place. Will finish walls today and start in on the top cover. Warmer temperatures definitely helping.

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Still setting glue and forming walls. Looks like the ugly duckling but should work wonders.

100_2825.jpg

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
More work on walls. Will fabricate lid tomorrow and then start glassing inside and out.

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
I like it.
I admit, when I saw the cut outs you previously posted I had no idea what it was going to look like.
As far as the mounting and finish maybe there is some way to marry the intake from the back side of the fascia.
Depending on how it performs I may actually widen it a bit but want to get the air box done first and get some baseline numbers. If I can get some time I will do some manometer testing and see what this version of the scoop is currently generating. I still think I may be resigned to cutting holes in the hood at some point if for no other reason than to kick myself later for being so stupid.

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Box is essentially done. Very pleased with the fit considering how insane it was to reverse engineer the wheel, er uhm, box. Working on the lid today and working through the logistics of the attachment. Cold and rainy all week so no glass work for awhile. Might be a good time to start cutting holes in the truck.

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Been too wet lately to lay up any glass. I did throw out the lid and start a new one yesterday (I can use glue and cardboard in the house) but it will be next weekend before it is ready for highway testing. . . . (hint hint)

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Low humidity today so managed to get two layers of glass inside and out. Threw out the lid yesterday and built a new one. Got it glassed today too. Need to build the latching system and I will be ready. Will get another layer of glass inside and out just to make sure everything is good to go. Ugly as sin but for less than $20 worth of material it is worth it to test my theory.

Soon . . .

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Just burnt today. Revised the lid again and ran into issues with the fasteners. Stopped for the day before things got too far out of hand. Will revisit the project again tomorrow. Will redesign the lid and how it attaches.

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Have anchor points for the lid mocked up and waiting on glue to set so I can pour resin. Last piece is for the intake tube and then need to cut a hole for the inlet. I might be able to test tomorrow. I have a feeling there is yet another change lurking for the scoop.

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Poured resin for the lid anchors - humidity up and taking insane amount of time to cure. Have heat lamp on it.

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #217

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
It is done. Lid is finished along with attachment hardware. Multiple layers of resin complete. Final layer of resin curing now. Will install and begin testing over the weekend. Still thinking I need to rework the scoop but will perform the pressure testing tomorrow or Saturday.

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Preliminary run based solely on hand calculations (Scangauge still totally wacked) for the trip yielded 21.6 MPG. I think I might be on the right track but I know from experience that I need to run at least 5 or 6 tanks of fuel in order to establish numbers with any hope of validity. The Scangauge situation could not have happened at a worse time.

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Seems to have settled in around 19 - 19.5 MPG highway based on hand calculations. This at 75 MPH and running the AC. Going to enlarge the scoop and add to the volume of the air box. Too depressed and agitated today to work on it and besides with the humidity here there is no way I could have gotten the resin to set.

201 - 220 of 226 Posts