Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a mechanic, and dont pretend to be. I'll pay someone to do the install, but I need to do my own homework. I've searched and read just about every thread related to upgrading shocks, but I'm still undecided. Please help.

Reason for upgrade:
I want to upgrade because some folks have reported that better shocks will reduce the amount of trailer bounce I get on some roads when I have our 35ft 9K lb camper behind me. Based on others recommendations, I was looking at the Rancho 9000XL because of their adjustability for ride stiffness, but I'm also curious about the 5100's height adjustability.

So heres a few questions:

1) Can I replace my front shocks with Ranchos or Bilsteins without buying new coilovers (just reuse my stock coils)?

2) If I use Bilstein 5100s up front, can I really lift the front without any additional hardware....just the shock?

I'm a little concerned about some of the online retailers reputations base on poor reports at resellerratings.com. I dont want to name names, but pretty much every "authorized online retailer" on Ranchos website gets poor ratings. So this brings me to my 3 rd question:

3) Can anyone recommend a reputable retailer with competitive pricing?

Thanks!

·
Preferred Dealer
90 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, and dont pretend to be. I'll pay someone to do the install, but I need to do my own homework. I've searched and read just about every thread related to upgrading shocks, but I'm still undecided. Please help.

Reason for upgrade:
I want to upgrade because some folks have reported that better shocks will reduce the amount of trailer bounce I get on some roads when I have our 35ft 9K lb camper behind me. Based on others recommendations, I was looking at the Rancho 9000XL because of their adjustability for ride stiffness, but I'm also curious about the 5100's height adjustability.

So heres a few questions:

1) Can I replace my front shocks with Ranchos or Bilsteins without buying new coilovers (just reuse my stock coils)?

2) If I use Bilstein 5100s up front, can I really lift the front without any additional hardware....just the shock?

I'm a little concerned about some of the online retailers reputations base on poor reports at resellerratings.com. I dont want to name names, but pretty much every "authorized online retailer" on Ranchos website gets poor ratings. So this brings me to my 3 rd question:

3) Can anyone recommend a reputable retailer with competitive pricing?

Thanks!
1)Yes, both are designed to reuse your stock coils.
2) You can, but a lot of guys on here recommend doing some other work at the same time to prevent future problems due to the change in suspension geometry. I believe this thread has a ton of info and reviews by members: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...957-how-about-bilstein-5100-adjustable-shock/
3) Yes. :D

What Year is your truck, 2 or 4wd?
Edit:Just saw your signature, you can see our prices here, -5% for being a trundrasolutions member.
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=4508&selected_year=2008

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shockwarehouse-
Thanks for the reply.
I checked out your website before, and have another question:

1) Do you carry the Rancho 9000xl? I see the 9000x listed, but those have a reservoir, and are out of my price range. I just want the 9 setting adjustable 9000xl.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
IIWY, I'd be tempted to get the Ranchos over the 5100s. Probably not the response anybody is used to hearing from me, but you're towing, and the adjustable bleed will come in handy. The QuickLIFT kit has an adapter to control bleed from the cab, but I don't know if the height will suit your needs/wants.

The Rancho shocks and the 5100s are completely different...they have almost nothing in common, other than being oil dampers with a nitrogen charge.

-Sean

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sean-
Thanks for the opinion. I agree, the Ranchos are the way to go for my needs. The only reason I was even considering the 5100's was for the front lift, but thats purely for looks. The important thing is the ride.

According to ShockWarehouse, the 9000X Pro w/ resovoirs ($$$$) are the only Rancho for my truck? How can this be? I've seen numerous posts on here of people putting 9000XL's on their 2nd gen Tundras.
Am I missing something?

Not to mention, Rancho shows a 2nd Gen Tundra on their 9000XL webpage:
Official Rancho Website

Has anyone ordered from TruckAddons.com?? They have a good price:
Truckaddons.com Ranchos
But resellerratings.com has some bad reviews on 'em:
Resellerratings.com-Truckaddons.com

I really want the Rancho 9000XLs. Can anyone tell me from experience that they ARE available for 2nd Gen Tundras, and where they ordered theirs from?

Thanks-

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Sean-
Thanks for the opinion. I agree, the Ranchos are the way to go for my needs. The only reason I was even considering the 5100's was for the front lift, but thats purely for looks. The important thing is the ride.

According to ShockWarehouse, the 9000X Pro w/ resovoirs ($$$$) are the only Rancho for my truck? How can this be? I've seen numerous posts on here of people putting 9000XL's on their 2nd gen Tundras.
Am I missing something?

Not to mention, Rancho shows a 2nd Gen Tundra on their 9000XL webpage:
Official Rancho Website

Has anyone ordered from TruckAddons.com?? They have a good price:
Truckaddons.com Ranchos
But resellerratings.com has some bad reviews on 'em:
Resellerratings.com-Truckaddons.com

I really want the Rancho 9000XLs. Can anyone tell me from experience that they ARE available for 2nd Gen Tundras, and where they ordered theirs from?

Thanks-
The ones listed on their site is the adjustable struts and shocks you seem to be looking for.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem is, Truckaddons.com price seems "to good to be true". They are advertising $329 for 4 9000XL's, but most other sellers are asking between $500-$600 for a set of 4 on the 08 Tundra? If it seems to good to be true....

Has anyone ordered from these guys?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After an email to Rancho to confirm availability, and part numbers (S999758 front - RS999324 rear), I ordered a set from Streetsideauto.com. Their price was $470, plus I'll get $100 Rancho rebate! They were at my door in less than a week!
Now I just need to get 'em on!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts