Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my toyota in for it's u-ball joint recall, and they noticed that my truck has 30,000 some odd miles on it. The service manager called me up and asked if I wanted a 30,000 mile service on my truck and I asked how much he quoted me $650.00. My jaw dropped when he said that, and I said no thanks, for now.
My questin is what do you guy's think I need to do to my truck for it's 30,000 miles service. Now bear in mind I'm just an urban warrior with my truck no heavy offroading or 4wd driving. Any suggestion will help, thanks again.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I would look in you owners manual and do whatever that says. That's all that's really needed unless you're a maintenance freak and plan on keeping the truck forever.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
They'll change the oil, spark plugs, and check the tire pressure, and maybe even throw in a free tire rotation!

All of which you can do yourself for about $60-$70, in about an hour.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
They'll change the oil, spark plugs, and check the tire pressure, and maybe even throw in a free tire rotation!

All of which you can do yourself for about $60-$70, in about an hour.
I don't even think a Spark plug change is in the 30k. It pretty much consists of a fluid change (Oil/rearend) and a rotate and the rest is inspection of brakes, trans fluid, steering and so on. At least that is what I remember. At $650 NO WAY. I just did it myself at my buddies shop and I now have a reciept for a 30k in case there is any warranty issues in the future so they can't say it is due to lack of maintenance.

I think I was in it $50 for oil, filter, diff fluid, air filter and I bought some other stuff like trailer plugs at the same time. I think that is all I did

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
30K for diff fluid change is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too early. You're not needing to do those till at least 50-60K. AT LEAST!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've never gone into the dealer for factory recommended service intervals. I understand that it could become an issue if there was a big warranty ruckus, but I've never had to do that. I can't see paying someone $500 to "look" at my suspension or belts or windshield wipers or whatever. I can look at them all day for free, and even change them if they need it.

I just make sure that I take care of the truck when it needs it, keep the oil changed and don't abuse it by driving like a moron. I just took my '03 with 45K on it into the shop for the first time since I purchased it 4 years ago to get the balljoint recall done. I had them change the diff fluid and do a coolant and trans drain at that time...they said everything was fine and it's running like a dream. I just changed my air filter and spark plugs myself last weekend.

I used to take my Mazda B2500 into a Firestone store to get the oil changes done when I lived in an apartment. That truck also ran well and was well maintained, but to read their list of "recommended" maintenance items every time that I picked up the truck, you'd have thought that I was driving a 30 year old demolition derby beater.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just had the 30,000 miles service done on my 2005 Access Cab. I'm at the age where I don't like to get out on my gravel driveway and do maintenance. Here's what they did: multi inspection, oil and filter, air filter, rotate and balance, cool/trans/diff inspect fuel cap gasket/charcoal canister, top fluids and replace pvc valve. After the ball joints were done some time back, I noticed the vehicle drifted to the left. However, rotating the tires solved that problem. I had warranty issues. The drivers side floor mat was coming apart. They ordered new floor mats. The drivers seat belt retractor wasn't retracting, so they ordered a new retracter. There was a slight tear in the center console lid. They ordered a new console lid. No charge for the warranty items. I had a couple of squeaks which they couldn't locate but it is on their records. They mailed me coupons but I forgot to bring them in. They went ahead and gave me a $25.00 discount. It was raining and they gave me a card for a free wash and detail. I'll have them wash and detail when the warranty items come in. My cost $220.01. I never buy extended warranties but spend the money on dealer servicing. I sat on my butt for two hours at the dealership, drank a free soft drink and used their computer. They put a water bottle in my cup holder. I enjoyed the young women coming and going. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
101 Posts
30K for diff fluid change is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too early. You're not needing to do those till at least 50-60K. AT LEAST!
Unless you have LSD (Limited Slip Differential) which I have. The first recommended fluid change is at 30,000 miles.

JMHO

Dan

·
Registered
101 Posts
I took my toyota in for it's u-ball joint recall, and they noticed that my truck has 30,000 some odd miles on it. The service manager called me up and asked if I wanted a 30,000 mile service on my truck and I asked how much he quoted me $650.00. My jaw dropped when he said that, and I said no thanks, for now.
My questin is what do you guy's think I need to do to my truck for it's 30,000 miles service. Now bear in mind I'm just an urban warrior with my truck no heavy offroading or 4wd driving. Any suggestion will help, thanks again.
From my 2006 Scheduled Maintenance Guide (which should apply to your 2005):
  • Replace engine oil and filter
  • Rotate tires
  • Replace limited-slip differential oil (if equipped)
  • Replace spark plugs (1GR-FE engines only)
  • Re-torque propeller shaft bolt (all models except Highlander)
  • Replace engine air filter
The rest of the list is for inspection only and includes a long list of the normal stuff (fluids, bolts and nuts, linkages, brake lines, fuel lines, brake linings, etc.).

If you have 4wd:
  • Replace front differential oil
  • Replace transfer case oil
  • Lubricate propeller shaft
JMHO

Dan

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Unless you have LSD (Limited Slip Differential) which I have. The first recommended fluid change is at 30,000 miles.

JMHO

Dan
Ditto. AND I do A LOT of towing with a trailer that is heavy so it is just a good idea to do for only the price of fluid.

We looked up what the Dealer recomends for a 30k on his shop computer and did them. It said diff so we did it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Here's where you can look up Toyota's Scheduled Maintenance Guide for all domestic Toyota vehicles. Anyone needing to know more can go to Toyota's Do It Yourself Guides and pick a topic from there.

Keep your receipts and log your work under your ID you set up at MyToyota, and it's hard to see how any dealership could burn you on warranty work if you've followed Toyota's recommendations.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Ditto. AND I do A LOT of towing with a trailer that is heavy so it is just a good idea to do for only the price of fluid.

We looked up what the Dealer recomends for a 30k on his shop computer and did them. It said diff so we did it.
If towing then I would agree. But if you're a regular average joe, 30K to me is just way early. I put at least 55K on my 2WD Taco rear fluid and it had the TRD LSD.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Go to your regular mechanic. A truck doesn't need that much service after only 30k. It's a ploy to make money off of us.

Besides everytime you take it in to a dealer it's just more opportunity for something else to go worng....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts