Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I went to my local dealership today to see some of the 09 Tacoma's and asked them if they had one like mine, A 2006 4 cylinder 4x4 5 speed manual shift SR 5 Package 2 and they told me that Toyota had stopped making the 4 cylinder 4x4's. Is this true ? With gas prices the way they are why would they stop making them. I am very happy with my truck, It drives very well and has no problems keeping up with the traffic. I really have not done any 4 wheeling with it but I am sure it would do fine with this. I just did a road trip from S. E. N. C. to eastern AL and it did fine with the gas milage, I am sure it would have done even better if I had driven easier and followed the speed limit.

What does everyone say about this issue ?

Eric

·
Registered
176 Posts
I do not know if there is any truth to what you dealer is saying, however, I do not find that hard to believe.

The 4 cyl 4X4 is just about as fuel efficient as the V6 4X4. (I went from a 97 4cyl 4X4 manual to a 06 V6 4X4 Auto and get basically the same MPG).

So, why make two engines that are so close, esp. when you can get the V6 which has so much more power and ability than the 4 banger??

Interesting non-the-less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

I went to my local dealership today to see some of the 09 Tacoma's and asked them if they had one like mine, A 2006 4 cylinder 4x4 5 speed manual shift SR 5 Package 2 and they told me that Toyota had stopped making the 4 cylinder 4x4's. Is this true ? With gas prices the way they are why would they stop making them. I am very happy with my truck, It drives very well and has no problems keeping up with the traffic. I really have not done any 4 wheeling with it but I am sure it would do fine with this. I just did a road trip from S. E. N. C. to eastern AL and it did fine with the gas milage, I am sure it would have done even better if I had driven easier and followed the speed limit.

What does everyone say about this issue ?

Eric
I have a '09 regular cab 4 cylinder 4x4 5 speed SR5 on order with a local dealership here in upstate NY. AFAIK the order was accepted on the dealer's upcoming allocation.

Mayhap your dealer was going for an upsell to a larger, more popular configuration that they already had on the lot?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
There are currently 43 model 7503 Tacomas in the SET pool of vehicles, and might be a few more at dealers that won't show up unless you search that particular dealer. But, bad news, none of them are SR5's; they just have the enhancement pkg of A/C and sliding window. The site did let me build and price a 7503 with SR5, but none in the system yet. Remember; no regular cabs will have bucket seats for 2009, unless Toyota makes a change, so the only differences for ~$400.00 retail will be the chrome grille, body color flares/front bumper, chrome rear bumper, grey dash overlays versus silver, thin sunvisors, and I don't know the status of the intermittent wipers for '09, but can be owner added for $95.00 +/-. If you hate the black fender flares, then the SR5 is a no brainer, but the interior trim and level of luxury is the same either way except for the wipers.

EDIT: looks like after the 17th of July, the shipping/freight goes up another $40.00.
EDIT again: 06tacomanut; I thought you had a reg cab, but upon seeing you did say SR5 #2, you have an Acess Cab, and there is an 08 model 7513 with SR5 #2 at a good price of $25018.00 list/$21960.00 net. I tried to build a 4cyl 4X4 and it locked out the SR5 trim pkg, but all have the convience pkg with the keyless, pwr windows, locks, slider w/deep tint, but the non SR5 exterior. I then tried to build a 4cyl 5spd PreRunner WITHOUT SR trim, but it was locked and would not allow anything but SR5 for the trim pkg. A preRunner 4cyl base and SR5 have been available in the past in the SET area, brochures used to show a convience pkg, but it has never AFAIK been available in the SET area, some Texas folks have a few. The 4WD, 4cyl 5spd A/Cab has in the past been available in all 3 of 4 trims in the SET area, base, but with mandatory option of slider/deep tint per SET, convience pkg, and SR5 trim. The only base trim Tacoma's with air/cond only, and no deep tint/no slider I have seen in the SET area belong to a natural gas maintenence fleet. I would guess SET (or Toyota) is limiting/cutting back build configurations, or mabey since everything is now standard with the trac/vsc and side airbags, they could be trying to start out the 09's with fewer build configurations to make assembly line mistakes less likely. If Toyota can build a PreRunner with SR5, there is no reason they can't build the same basic drivetrain (other than the front axle/transfer case) in the 4WD with SR5, but Toyota has done stranger things before. Seems they always want to push the customer into either a bigger truck, or a more expensive truck than the customer wants.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Jim Barkley in Asheville NC has (4) 2008 (non SR5) Tacoma 4WD reg cabs; all alike except color; 1 each of the 2 reds, 1 silver and 1 white. List: 20,104.00, out the door for 17,998.00 for out of staters, add only actual mandatory sales tax and tag for NC residents. THis dealership has always had quire a few 4WD reg cabs, more than any I have ever found listed in one place within the SET zone. Is a good deal if you find you can live without the SR5 trim. Compared with most deals with all the add-ons; it leaves enough to add a rear locker, some take-off 16-17" alloys (if desired), and even an intermittant wiper switch:).

·
Registered
339 Posts
The dealer you spoke to doesn't know his a** from a hole in the ground. My dealer has 2 09 4 cyl. access cab 4x4's sitting on the lot right now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I wish Toyota would get around to updating their website and put the 09 Tacoma info on it. I'm thinking about trading in my 05 for an 09, and it's hard to find out what the configurations are. My dealer doesn't have the 09 brochures, and don't seem to know much about the 09's except for what happens to be on their lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts