Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
My check engine light came on in my 2005 4X4 4.7 V8 Access Cab TRD Tundra. It has 35K miles. We had a cold spell and I noticed rat droppings in the engine bay and on top of my intake and never imagined a link to my engine light! I looked and looked and didn't see any chewed wires. There were no signs of nesting. Using my OBDll, I got the following codes.

P0412 -Secondary Air Injection System Valve "A" Malfunction

P1442 & P1445 -Malfunction Control Auxiliary Emission Control

P2441 -Secondary Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Closed Bank 1

P2445 -Secondary Injection System Pump Stuck Off Bank 1

It looks like the pump and valve that injects air into the exhaust for emissions is the problem. I dropped it off at the the dealer where my friend is the service manager and I mentioned the rat droppings. Within two hours, the service writer called and said a rat must have chewed a wire in your intake. He said they needed to pull the intake and it will be $775.00. :eek: Before going to the dealer, I pulled the air box and filter, there was no nesting debris.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Greg

Attachments

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
If there were rat droppings, a rat probbaly fugged something up... But $775 seems a bit steep.. My 2 cents...

BTW, WELCOME TO TS!!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a mouse chew through 2 of the 4 knock sensor wires below the plenum. The dealer wanted $500 to remove the plenum and replace the harness. Right.

Getting the plenum and all the other stuff off was much easier than I had prepared for. It took about 20 minutes to dismantle, 20 minutes to solder up and wrap the chewed wires and 15 minutes to put it all back together.

On a side note, I couldn't believe the amount of wires this truck has running all around the engine. It looks like a main frame computer in there. :eek:

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Sucks! Same thing happened to my Grandpa's new Monte Carlo SS!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks so much for the info!! Did you have to replace any gaskets? The service writer claims there are gaskets involved. I usually do all of my own work, but I figured I would take it to the dealer hoping it was an emissions warranty job! :confused:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I didn't replace the gaskets. The plenum is all plastic (which was weird to me but I guess it works) and the gaskets looked fine. It's been about 6 months now and no problems at all with it. I think the dealer said they were around $30 for the set but had to be ordered. I didn't want to wait because the truck was running in limp mode.

You'll need some extensions for your sockets to get to the bolts near the firewall but overall it was very easy. Oh, and if I remember correctly, one or two of those bolts are a different size than than the others. I used a piece of cardboard to hold the bolts as I took them out to keep track of which ones went where.

I keep remembering things... Use a mirror and flashlight to see behind the plenum next to the firewall to find a wire harness (maybe 2?) that clips on back there. You'll see what I'm talking about when you go to lift plenum off and if feels like something still has a hold of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool deal, thanks again! ...now what to do about these rats! I live in a suburban area and just started to notice a few rats at night. I saw a large red fox in my yard tonight, I wish it would stick around and go on overnight rat patrol! This is a whole new set of worries now...RATS KILLING MY TUNDRA!! AHHHHHHGGGRRR!! :alien:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
rat damage is very common. ive seen the repair bills for these things being waaaay more than 775 bucks. also, keep in mind comprehensive insurance should cover this..depending on how high the deductible is, u might can get it fixed right and not have to do any work yourself :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
One more thing to keep me up at night. Gee thanks man.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rat damage is very common. ive seen the repair bills for these things being waaaay more than 775 bucks. also, keep in mind comprehensive insurance should cover this..depending on how high the deductible is, u might can get it fixed right and not have to do any work yourself :)
Thanks for letting me know of that option! I called State Farm today and they said rodent damage is excluded under comp...bummer. Time to warm up the pellet gun. :D

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm so glad I didn't buy the used Tundra with the rat damage to the firewall and poop all over the engine cover. Who knows what other damage it inflicted.

I know someone who's had rabbits chew up a wiring harness on his Audi TT twice! $$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
A soon as I get my Tundra back, I am going to mount rat traps inside of my engine compartment and I will post the pictures!
~Greg
or you could just buy a cat.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Had dealer just remove a family of frozen mice from my malfunctioning vents, was wondering what the smells was when the heat was blasting. $401.38 to defunk my system, they made a nice nest on the cabin filter.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I've heard somewhere that a bag full of mothballs with holes poked in it placed under the hood repels rodents and other undesirables.

·
Registered
241 Posts
IF you park with the hood raised up, rats will not go into your truck. When I used to live in the desert anyone who had to park their car for more than a day would have to lift up their hood so rats would not eat their wires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I lived in germany for a few years and we had small rodents (Martins) that would eat plug wires. Like thumbster said, moth balls should work or even some dog hair.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts