Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple days days ago, after a big rain, I turned on the heater in my 2007 sequoia and heard a loud thump followed by a grinding noise in the area just above where the front passenger would place their feet. I searched around for the noise, saw that the housing for the heater fan / cabin blower was vibrating and all four speed settings. Today I got a chance to unscrew it and took out the blower when a large, 5-6 inch dead rat plus tail fell onto the cabin floor from the blower. I have no idea how such a large rat squeezed into my heating system. I am only glad that I was lucky enough that it fell into the blades so it made an awful sound and I was able to track it down before the body started rotting away deep inside my car. Does anyone know how a rat could get into the heating system from the outside? :confused: I would like to put chicken wire or something on the intake so that it does not happen again. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The fresh air intake in the cowl is covered with a grill, unless yours is broken or missing. The only way he got in there was thru an open door or window or was in something you placed in the truck, like an old box or something that had the rat in it already.

The only way he could get into the blower housing would be thru one of the two fresh/recirc flapper doors above the blower motor. All the other vent outlets have a grill on it or something. He couldn't go up thru the floor outlets in the front because the heater core and evap coil are in the way.

Just give the blower housing a good cleaning and make sure nothing got over on the evap coil. You can stick your fingers in the housing and feel the coil with the blower motor dropped out.

Oh, and I would shoot some Lysol spray up in there after everything is put back together with the blower running hi-speed!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts