Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
What do you mean by undercoat? I wouldnt suggest using some sort of ruberized spray, that will only trap more moisture and rot it out faster. I would just spray the hell out of it with a good quality rust inhibitor.

Reactions: moop_fogo

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd personally wire brush the heck out of it and then coat with some good rust treatment spray paint.

This makes me appreciate living outside of the rust belt and bringing my truck from south TX.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you mean by undercoat? I wouldnt suggest using some sort of ruberized spray, that will only trap more moisture and rot it out faster. I would just spray the hell out of it with a good quality rust inhibitor.
Yup i know the dangers of that crap.. wouldn't touch it.

I would use lanolin-based spray, like nh oil, fluid film or the like. Probably nh oil. There are Lots of shops to go to up here to have your vehicle sprayed. Or i would do it myself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd personally wire brush the heck out of it and then coat with some good rust treatment spray paint.

This makes me appreciate living outside of the rust belt and bringing my truck from south TX.
Lucky you! I will probably wire brush in the spring time & get it sprayed.. thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Not a bad idea to wait when its warmer. And as I understand it most of the rusting occurs in the summer time when heat and humidity are at their highest. So even if your truck is covered in salt all winter long, its not doing as much damage now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a bad idea to wait when its warmer. And as I understand it most of the rusting occurs in the summer time when heat and humidity are at their highest. So even if your truck is covered in salt all winter long, its not doing as much damage now.
Yeah, that's a good point. Do they salt the roads up in Canada?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Yeah, that's a good point. Do they salt the roads up in Canada?
Where I live yes, all the F'ing time. I live about an hours drive from Buffalo, NY. My tundra was black and it would look pure white most of the winter from all the road salt spray.
Out west its way further north and gets way too cold for salt to work so they dont use it and cars look way better from there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
thanks guys.

forgive my naivety, but the rear wheel that looks pretty bad, what exactly is that piece that is rusted out? the hub, or drum brake assembly?

Does anyone know where i could find a replacement to bolt on?

this is the closest thing i could find.

2001-2006 Toyota Plate Sub-Assembly, Brake Backing, Rear Right 47043-35190 | Toyota Parts Center

I really don't mind replacing some parts, I just need this vehicle to last. It's all I've got & I'll do what it takes, even if it's a couple grand in parts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do what I did on my 2001. I had the bed removed, and the worst of the rust chipped off and coated with a rust killer. The cross member area of the bed needed repaired and metal replaced. I then had the bed coated underneath and a bed liner spayed on the inside. It cost around 1200 bucks, but it had to be done to stop the rot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do what I did on my 2001. I had the bed removed, and the worst of the rust chipped off and coated with a rust killer. The cross member area of the bed needed repaired and metal replaced. I then had the bed coated underneath and a bed liner spayed on the inside. It cost around 1200 bucks, but it had to be done to stop the rot.
Thanks buddy. I'll look into that. The front end of the truck looks great, it's just the back that has some corrosion issues.
it drives perfect. only 32,000 miles..

I would really like to get this protected as soon as it warms up around here.. I'm up in Maine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would wire wheel your frame and diff then POR paint it where the original coating is gone, then I would spray the underside of the bed and the remaining with fluid film or similar
Will do. I plan on getting it up in the air soon as spring comes, then going to buy some wire wheels for sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Where I live yes, all the F'ing time. I live about an hours drive from Buffalo, NY. My tundra was black and it would loo pure white most of the winter from all the road salt spray.
Out west its way further north and gets way too cold for salt to work so they dont use it and cars look way better from there.
it's brutal. it destroyed my work van

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Before doing much work take a small ball peen hammer and start tapping on the frame listening for the ting of metal or muffled crunch of rust.
thank you. i've gone over the majority of it & it seems solid. the worst area seems to be the brake backing plate in photo. i will replace whatever needs replacing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Undercoat it with Fluid Film. Don't wait any longer. You can do it yourself easily. I would stay away from anything that involves paint, it's a lot of work and only hides the problem. Fluid Film converts the rust. I've seen it work and stop rust of multiple vehicles. Do it multiple times over a year (3-4), then a couple times a year after that. I find spring and fall are best.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Undercoat it with Fluid Film. Don't wait any longer. You can do it yourself easily. I would stay away from anything that involves paint, it's a lot of work and only hides the problem. Fluid Film converts the rust. I've seen it work and stop rust of multiple vehicles. Do it multiple times over a year (3-4), then a couple times a year after that. I find spring and fall are best.
absolutely buddy. I will be putting something under there tomorrow, until i can get underneath to clean it up a bit. Then i will be spraying it again.

I was thinking of trying blaster surface shield, but if i can't find it i will be getting some fluid film. I want to try them both to compare.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts