Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to have the Toyota stinger accessory for the hitch. I am wondering what the capacity of the part is.

Toyota Tundra - Truck Accessories

Just bought a 9600lb capable trailer and the dealer put a 6000lb rated stinger and 7500 lb rated ball.

While in theory, both are probably fine, I would rther get parts actually designed to handle the load.

·
Registered
699 Posts
never heard it be called a stinger before, but hey whatever. to me that is the life line to what your pulling. there's a rating on there for a reason and I beleave it should be followed. what size is the ball? becaue I just ordered one thats rated for 14,000 lbs but it's 2 5/16th's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, those ratings should be followed. If you're pulling 10,000 lbs then your gear should be rated for at least 10,000 lbs. Slightly more would be better.

If not, you may just hear the plaintiff's lawyer address the jury with the following brief summation: You've heard the defendant admit that he was using a 6,000 lbs stinger/ball mount and 7500 lbs ball coupler on his trailer when pulling a 9,600 lbs. load and that's the reasons you should find him/her guilty of.....

Theory sounds good until-its WRONG. Now if all you are pulling is 6,000 lbs. then that's a different situation.

Sounds like you're already trying to CYA and that's a good thing.:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what size is the ball? becaue I just ordered one thats rated for 14,000 lbs but it's 2 5/16th's.
That is the same as mine. Where did you order it?

All mechanical designs have safety margin desinged in and a lot of guys say 'it will work'. However, I would rather error on the safe side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts