Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced a rattle that last for 1-2 seconds on a cold start after the truck has sat for a week or so? Not the diesel knock but a rattle until the oil pressure builds. Almost like the oil has drained from the top of the motor throughout the week. Has happened twice now and only happens when the truck has sat that long. Won't happen when sits just a couple days. I tried searching a little but only the diesel knock comes up.

Thanks

edit: oh yeah its an 08 with 40,100 miles and first time I've heard it.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Mine does not do that and it is older with more miles. That sounds like maybe something going on with the V V T ???

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine does this too, someone told me it was something to do with the abs system reseting if the truck has been sitting for a while. I have never looked back since.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
MINE HAS DONE IT SINCE DAY ONE, SOUNDS LIKE CHAINS TURNING in engine. Especially after 4-7 days of sitting. I know the ABS sound and that is not it. Of course if you start truck every day and every other day it wont do it.

And since we have timing chains (four to be exact) and no belt, that might be it till oil gets to them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hmmmm........I wonder if using synthetic oil cures this issue or maybe not?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I typically drive mine daily, but after vacation and another trip I've heard that noise. A LOT of OHC motors make that noise, we use to hear it constantly at the repair shop I used to work at after doing oil changes. It's the oil draining out of the top end of the motors.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Do you think using Synthetic oil helps (minimizes) this situation or is it regardless?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MINE HAS DONE IT SINCE DAY ONE, SOUNDS LIKE CHAINS TURNING in engine. Especially after 4-7 days of sitting. I know the ABS sound and that is not it. Of course if you start truck every day and every other day it wont do it.

And since we have timing chains (four to be exact) and no belt, that might be it till oil gets to them.
I too know the abs noise and that is not it. It has to be oil related. I think it would be an uphill battle to have it looked at since it would have to sit at their lot for a week so they could start it and hear the rattle. Then who knows how long until they tell me thats normal. Also in regards to 2010PlatCrewmax's comment I have had mobil1 5w-20 since new. However currently I have 0w-20 in there and am wondering if the thinner oil is allowing it to drain. Prior to the 0w oil it has never sat for up to a week so...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess my worry is that there is something wrong with the oiling system that is allowing this to happen. Kinda like when you change the oil. I personally always start it so that everything is lubed well. Cause when you drain the filter housing its gonna take a little time to fill and pressurize again. During this time the motor is running on film, right? I don't think this rattle is a good thing for the long haul.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
i sometimes have my truck sitting there for days at a time(4 or 5 days to be exact)and when i start her up, shes roars to life and no unusually noises. hope is all well for ya though OP

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A little update on my rattle problem. I have driven enough to change the oil out. So I changed out the 0w-20 for the 5w-20 that I have always used before the last change. Just got back from a 10 day vacation and aside from a dead battery the truck started and ran fine. I'm blaming it on the 0w-20 oil.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I use 5w-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic and it makes the rattling noise. For me it makes the noise when the truck hasen't been driven for around 24 hours 1-2 sec quick rattle. Last week it sat for 3 days and the rattle was louder and longer 3-5 seconds, made me begin to worry a bit. My truck stays outside, if that makes any difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts