Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an '04 SR5 with the JBL audio and the frt passenger door speaker has a BAD rattle. How hard is it to access it and what for replacement speakers are available? Was kinda hoping to be able to repair it but won't know till I get into it. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update ... found a bunch of videos on YouTube of different fixes and replacement mods for this problem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ernie, welcome to the forum. Use the search function on the forum and you will find numerous solutions to this common problem. It is not a fun fix. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well got into it after researching related stuff online. Found the surround foam to be in good condition and was cracked /split around the outside edge in spots. Found a place online that sells refoam kits for about $20 a speaker. For now I've seemed to have fixed these (both front) with some clear silicone rtv. Ran a thin bead around the outside edge and with a little spit on the index finger skinned the bead smooth. Surprisingly they sound pretty good. Have to see how long they'll last and probably get the refoam kits while they're available. FWIW the place I found the speaker parts the website is SimplySpeakrs.com. Here's a before and after.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just did this exact repair on both front woofers using SimplySpeakers kit. Took longer than the youtube video would indicate, but for the money saved in regards to new speakers, it was certainly worth it. I also ended up using a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive that was left on the cones. Made removal much easier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did this exact repair on both front woofers using SimplySpeakers kit. Took longer than the youtube video would indicate, but for the money saved in regards to new speakers, it was certainly worth it. I also ended up using a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive that was left on the cones. Made removal much easier.
I spent $8 each on new BOSS 6.5" speakers on AMAZON with adapters and they work great... also faster and cheaper that a repair kit. I ain't got no time fo dat! :smile2:
Do you have the link for amazon thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts