Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Thought I would get your opinion on installing a RCD 6" lift on my 05 2wd DC. I have received quotes all over the board but a couple of questions.

1. $2500 for a used RCD kit with Icon springs, good deal? obviously I haven't checked the condition, but sounded like a good deal.

2. Installation, one shop said he would need to replace upper ball joints, another shop said it wasn't necessary. Pricing was around $600 for labor.

I will be holding off on wheels on tires for now, but obviously those will be on the wish list.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Couldn't think of a better present after she was all paid off.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Hey Guys,

Thought I would get your opinion on installing a RCD 6" lift on my 05 2wd DC. I have received quotes all over the board but a couple of questions.

1. $2500 for a used RCD kit with Icon springs, good deal? obviously I haven't checked the condition, but sounded like a good deal.

2. Installation, one shop said he would need to replace upper ball joints, another shop said it wasn't necessary. Pricing was around $600 for labor.

I will be holding off on wheels on tires for now, but obviously those will be on the wish list.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Couldn't think of a better present after she was all paid off.
1. A brand new RCD kit is $2,500. What Icon springs are coming with it? Check the condition.

2. How reputable are both shops?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, all i can say is if i was to lift my tundra, i would go with a 6" lift. they is the best looking on our tundra's. but thats just my opinion. than you have to get tires/rims so it will show nicely. i seen a tundra here with a bigger lift and it looked like 15 rims & regular tires. that looked horrible.
if you lift you must buy new rims & tires to match the set up.
i personaly would go a year or 2 with just the lift & not the complete set up.
i see to many pickup here in south florida with up to 12" lifts with stock tires & rims. it looks bad.
my .02 cent's.
gorilla

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Hi I've had my rcd 6" lift for two years now on my 06 tundra and love it. Great kit tough as hell I've beat the hell out of it with sand, mud and rock.
Icon is a good product I just reacently started checking out the icon parts. I called RCD and icon was recommend to me. Depending on what shocks they are offering icon has a coil over bolt on front set up for 1000 pricey but looks nice.
The kit is easy to install With the help of my friends it was done in a day and a half. But if you dont want to do it 600 isnt that bad. I'd call icon to ensure those shock are right model for the set up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
$2500 for a used kit is not a deal, as pointed out. Keep in mind you will have no guarantee that it will have all the hardware, or that they will be in installable condition.

I would use extreme caution if you plan on re using your OEM wheels. Most IFS lifts that replace the knuckles with spindles require a wheel with less backspacing, even with the factory tires.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I picked up ICON2's listed RCD kit and ICON coilovers that were listed in the classifieds. Checked out the entire setup that he had on his demo/show truck. I couldn't be more pleased and I will be having them installed this week. Hopefully pictures will be available this weekend. I am hoping the factory 16" wheels that I had powder coated black will hold me over until I can purchase a new wheel and tire setup. The OEM wheels are currently wrapped in a BFG MT, so they are kind of beefy looking, but I know it just won't look right without bigger tires. Oh and the setup did include ICON2's own coilover setup and it sits the truck nice and high.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take a look at how it turned out. Just saving for some new rubber.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some better pictures.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts