Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: 2005 4 runner sport edition

I have a 2005 4 runner V8 ( purchased new). It now has 106,000 miles, (mostly highway miles) looks great and is running perfect. Maintenance: I added new tires at 55,000 miles, changed the oil every 4000 miles since I had it and have had the front brakes all redone. I did not have the timing belt replaced at 70,000 as suggested by Toyota. My question now is whether to have the timing belt replaced along with a list of suggested items from Toyota Service Dept. I was advised to change the water pump when I had the timing belt replaced to avoid additional costs down the road. Also suggested to change the spark plugs and all fluids and filters etc. The total cost of everything is approximately $2000. I also may need to get new tires before winter with an additional cost of 800 -1000. and probably a new battery down the road too! My question: is this all necessary and is it worth spending $3000 on a 5 year old auto with 106,000 miles? I'm sure that Toyota will find additional things to be done once the service area gets hold of it. I have had 4 other Toyota trucks, one I kept through 275,000 miles until it finally gave up. The others I traded at 35,000 40,000 miles. The 4 runner has been great through the winters in Maine and I like having the V8 which is not offered on the new 4 runner. I appreciate and thank you for your recommendations.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Re: 2005 4 runner sport edition

Have the maintenance done which is way cheaper than new vehicle payments......plus you'd miss that V8.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Change the timing belt (about $400 is what we paid Toyota to do ours), change the plugs yourself (about $50 depending on what iridium plugs you buy), and change the oil and air filters yourself. They'll change the antifreeze when they do the belt, so you'd be out about $500 or so depending on where you get the parts. The plugs are really easy to change and the air filter is about $12 at Wal-mart. Get a new cabin filter too because it's only $19 at Wally World. The only thing I did that might be a little advanced is changing the front and rear differentials and the transfer case fluids. Figure an extra $100 in oil for that little service. It makes me sick to think of all of the money Toyota would have gotten from me over the years if I had let them do it all. Plus, if I do it, I know it's done right!

Keep the 4runner though, that V8 is really worth it! Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hi, thanks for your imput. I did have all the work done over the weekend at the Toyota dealer. Yes, I know I could have done some of the work, like the filters, but while had it, they changed all the fluids, plugs, timing belt, water pump. It was expensive but they know what they are doing, I would not. My dealer has the same great mechanic that works on my car every time I bring it in for routine service. And by the way he, he has been after me to sell it to him. Anyway, I am quite happy with this car. I have maintained it and it really runs well, drives smooth and looks good. I plan to keep it for a few more years now. They did advise me that it will need rear brakes after another 5000 miles. ( I have about 107,000 now). The front brakes were replaced at 90,000. And I guess I will need new michelins in the winter. I have about 57,000 miles on the second set of tires. So, I will keep it for awhile. Thanks again. Best regards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts