Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: DJ's Alignment Specs

After I installed my new rack bushings my '01 Tundra's steering went from understeering moderately to more neutral to slightly oversteering in the corners. The overall response to steering input is much improved so I decided to have the alignment done to DJ's specs.

I found an alignment shop locally that has a good reputation and visited them on Friday morning. Their tech drove the truck onto the rack and invited me back and asked about my request on the caster suggestion by DJ. The tech was a young guy about 35 who knew his trade well. I got to watch as he made the adjustments and could see the numbers show up on the machine (Hunter) not sure of the model but it looked to be fairly new. He discovered that the rear end was slightly out of line with the front. According to his assessment sometimes bumping a curb or hitting a pothole can push one side or the other slightly forward or backward taking the rear end out of square with the frame.

He also said that unless the truck was "pulling" or experiencing abnormal handling or tire wear that it is generally best to leave it be since a frame shop is going to hit you for $300 to $500 to realign the rear end to the frame.

At any rate he followed my specs without any of "we can't do that" routine and all for $69.95.

In summation the alignment along with the new rack bushings made the truck drive like new and freeway manners improved considerably i.e. straight ahead driving and lane changing. There is a county road nearby that is very twisty so that is where I evaluated the steering response. Before the truck had a tendancy to "push" into the turns and that has been reduced by a noticeable amount. Before the modifications the truck felt a little uncomfortable being driven briskly into tight turns. Now the truck can be driven into turns with some predictability as to what the handling limits are.

I would like to have the rear sway bar but I'm not too impressed with the quality of hardware that comes with the Hellwig.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Re: DJ's Alignment Specs

My Tundra is an '03 Access-Cab 4WD V-8 with factory 'styled' steel wheels and 265x70R16 tires.
It has the standard suspension, but with the factory trailer towing pkg.
A 'DJ spec' wheel alignment and Hellwig anti-sway rear bar, together with good tires (round and properly balanced) made my pickup handle significantly better. It is a smooth dream on the pavement at any speed, tracks true and takes curves well.
I believe the Hellwig to be a part of the 3-way process to great handling with the Tundra: (1) DJ spec. alignment; (2) Hellwig anti-sway bar; & (3) tires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts