Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: Serpentine belt replaced at 43000 KM's (27000miles) on an 08 Tundra.

Hello all.

I have had this squealing noise from my truck for a while. Took it into Sunshine Toyota here in Winnipeg and they stated that the belt needed replacement and wanted to charge me $300 to replace it. I took it to a shop and got it done for under a $100. There is still a squealing noise coming from under the hood. It is winter time here and its always a harsh winter but this never happened the first winter I had my truck. My questions are.

1. Could it be the tensioner or any other pulley?
2. Shouldn't the belt/tensioner be covered under the 3 year 60,000km warranty?

The dealership keeps giving me the runaround since they cannot recreate the issue inside their warm shop. Sunshine Toyota has terrible service. :mad:

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Serpentine belt replaced at 43000 KM's (27000miles) on an 08 Tundra.

Hi - just had my serpentine belt and the tensioner replaced at a toyota dealer..$343... I had to tell the SA that there WAS a TSB -- they found it.. but since I was past the 3 year mark.. I had to pay for the tensioner too.. this dealer told me that if I had still been in warranty the part would have been convered..

I am still feeling ripped off though.. $343 to have a belt replaced.. I am going to get rid of the tundra before I have a the AIP problem- since Toyota of Nashua is rude and a rip off..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Wow that sucks! I'm gonna go to a different dealership and ask for a refund of my belt replacement.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

Hi - just had my serpentine belt and the tensioner replaced at a toyota dealer..$343... I had to tell the SA that there WAS a TSB -- they found it.. but since I was past the 3 year mark.. I had to pay for the tensioner too.. this dealer told me that if I had still been in warranty the part would have been convered..

I am still feeling ripped off though.. $343 to have a belt replaced.. I am going to get rid of the tundra before I have a the AIP problem- since Toyota of Nashua is rude and a rip off..
Wouldn't that be covered by the powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
603 Posts

First thing you need to know is that the whole tensioner does not need to be replaced. Only the bearing will need replacement if you are experiencing noise issues. I posted the part number for the bearing in another thread on this same topic so search and you will find it.

The bearing costs $10 and is available at most parts houses. The tensioner is held on with two bolts and takes about 5min to remove once the belt is off. It takes about another 10 minutes to press out/in the bearing. Then you replace the belt with the sweetest belt they sell at your NAPA/Oreilly/Autozone and your done. The whole job should cost no more than 70 bucks and will take about an hour of your time. The hardest part is taking off the damn skid plate

·
Registered
32,593 Posts

There could be an issue with the spring
, i.e. it may not have been producing enough tension on the pulley, which would unfortunately require replacement of the whole assembly.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I just had mine done about a week ago, at 38,000 mi. It was squealing like a stuck pig. Thought it was the belt. It wasn't. I think the tensioner, belt and labor was about $460.00. I should have done it myself. Of course, my truck starts turning up issues now that it is out of warranty. At 37,000 mi, 3 out of 4 power door locks died. To Toyota's credit, theey handled that one under "good will" and didn't charge me. Of course, now the one they didn't replace has died. What's next?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

A little over 42,000 miles on my CM with a chirping sound; it is cold in STL so I am sure that is contributing for sure. I took it in to the dealership and let them know that I have read about the belt and tensioner being replaced at several dealerships at no cost. I had absolutely no problems with them taking care of it. They replaced the belt at no charge and special ordered the tensioner and will have me in when it is delivered to install it all at no charge. They also glued my passenger side weather seal near the corner as it was coming away from the truck. The truck is still squeaking, so it must be the tensioner.

The ONLY task they would not do was get rid of the seat belt chime; I can live with that though........

·
Registered
11 Posts

90 K mi on my 08 Tundra and the belt looks good. No cracks (no noises either) yet but I do look it over each time I change the oil. I have a goodyear ($39.00) spare belt under the seat and tools with me at all times.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Mine was cracked and replaced under warranty at less than 30K miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I had my belt and tensioner replaced at about 30K when I complained about a squealing sound when cold at start up. It went away quick so I had to take it to the dealer twice for them to diagnose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts