Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to purchase my 07' Tundra. Need some help with negotiating the best price. I'm purchasing a 07' SR5 TRD DC 5.7 V8 SB. The Base MSRP on this vehicle is $28110, Edmunds has the invoice at $25,439. All the trucks I'm looking at have packages with some things I like and some things I don't. The packages put the truck I'm looking at between 30k and 31k. I'll most likely pick a package that I can live with because I don't have the time to custom order exactly and couldn't handle the wait. Anyway, I don't want to get into that whole back and forth thing at the dealer with them asking what I would like my monthly payment to be. That's a waste of my time. I already know I'm putting down 18k and financing the balance at either 0% for 36mo. or 2.9% for 60mo. My payments will be very low and I'll most likely pay it off quickly. Can I just start the negotiating process by telling the salesman I'm willing to pay invoice at $25,439 and not a penny over and tell him If he can't do that I'll walk. Or should I start maybe $500 below invoice? Are people getting these vehicles at invoice yet?

Do dealer's tend to have less negotiating room when they have to find the vehicle you want through another dealer and have it shipped to them? I understand that the best deal you can get is something that is on there lot that they are motivated to get rid of.

Any advice you have on negotiating a great deal would be very helpful. Thx.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I personally think that threatening the sales associate that your are going to walk if you dont get the below invoice price you want is a bad start to what could be a great relationship. You may want to start out using the internet to begin the negotiation process with internet managers in your surrounding areas. This helps alot in saving some time at the dealership. I am sure you will be able to get close to invoice but I would not let $500 more or less keep me from getting the truck you want. Dont forget you can get the dealerships to throw in some options like mats, bedliners, mud flaps etc... to sweeten the deal. Good Luck.
Cheers.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I doubt you'll be able to get the DC at invoice. I normally pay $500 over invoice on any Toyota, but had to pay $900 over for my CMax as they were in tight supply. The DC's are much more plentiful.

Yes, you always work from "invoice up". You should also know your interest rate and your exact payment going in. Toyota might still be offering the 5.9% on long term financing, which is not bad. They were offering 3.9% on short term last month, so I don't know if that is still good.

I think you should have no problem getting the DC for $500 over, or close to it depending on the supply and sales in your geographical area. And, yes, your first offer will not be accepted so be prepared to walk, and begin walking. Tell them you are in no hurry to purchase and show them the other dealers on your list that you plan to visit if you can't do a deal with them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I doubt you'll be able to get the DC at invoice. I normally pay $500 over invoice on any Toyota, but had to pay $900 over for my CMax as they were in tight supply. The DC's are much more plentiful.

Yes, you always work from "invoice up". You should also know your interest rate and your exact payment going in. Toyota might still be offering the 5.9% on long term financing, which is not bad. They were offering 3.9% on short term last month, so I don't know if that is still good.

I think you should have no problem getting the DC for $500 over, or close to it depending on the supply and sales in your geographical area. And, yes, your first offer will not be accepted so be prepared to walk, and begin walking. Tell them you are in no hurry to purchase and show them the other dealers on your list that you plan to visit if you can't do a deal with them.
Where do you get your invoice numbers from (edmunds.com or the dealer)? When you say $500 over invoice does that mean the invoice with options or the "BASE" invoice (might be a stupid question but I really don't know). Thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where do you get your invoice numbers from (edmunds.com or the dealer)? When you say $500 over invoice does that mean the invoice with options or the "BASE" invoice (might be a stupid question but I really don't know). Thanks!
The MSRP I got right off the sticker on the truck, and that's the Base MSRP of $28110, Edmunds lists the base msrp at the exact same amount and lists the actual invoice price at $25,439. I'm talking strictly base MSRP and Invoice, nothing about options.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I would contact the internet dept of a variety of dealerships within reasonable driving distance. I think that if you are from farther away, the dealership will know that the only chance they have of selling you a truck is to give you a great price.

Make sure you configuration meets one of the packages listed in the eBrochure for your area and state that $500 over invoice is a common price point that is being offered and ask for a quote for a truck that will be available within the 2 weeks, month, or whatever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased a Crew max for $492 over invoice. Took me awhile but got it done. I worked a deal on a truck that was already on its way to the dealership. I would use internet sales first. It just so happens that my neighbor is a new salesman at a high volume dealership here. I even got this deal on the 3rd of the month.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just purchased a Crew max for $492 over invoice. Took me awhile but got it done. I worked a deal on a truck that was already on its way to the dealership. I would use internet sales first. It just so happens that my neighbor is a new salesman at a high volume dealership here. I even got this deal on the 3rd of the month.
Yeah, time of the month really doesn't matter that much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went to three dealers armed with a check and was prepared to put a deposit down on the exact truck I wanted that day. Told dealer deal I wanted. I walked out of 2 initial dealers..cheapest they would go was $1500 and $1000 over invoice respectfully. I didn't waste anymore of their time nor did they waste mine.

Thrid dealer I paid $400 over invoice with factory options. No dealer installed options. No trade so it was a clean deal. Final deal I put $500 down and signed an order agreement. Truck came in 6 weeks later w/4 miles. When I picked up truck dealer tried to worm in $500 more for "Dealer Prep" because it was "pre-printed" on a form. I laughed and told them to do the algebra and figure the bottomline # as we had agreed. Since that was not part of the purchase agreement I made with them I told them it was a breach of contract and I was not going to close. After they thought thru it they changed their mind and I left with my CrewMax.

My recomendation is go armed with cash, be serious/sincere, and get everything in writing down to the penny. Be firm...they build these things eveyday and make sure you get exactly what you want...it's a lot of $$. Like Vegas you can walk away from the table at anytime.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I got my invoice from Consumer Reports on line. They charge a small fee but I found them to be the most complete.

Invoice price will include any Toyota options. All the option are listed at MSRP and then invoice price. Just look at the window sticker and add 'em up.

Kai Lover did a great job. In my area, for the color truck I wanted, $900 was the best I could do. I had a deadline to get a the CrewMax (leaving on vacation soon) so I couldn't really hold out longer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
LawyerRon,
Do you mind me asking which dealership you bought from? I'm currently searching for a crewmax in SoCal.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
585 Posts
Gary,
I bought mine from Longo Toyota in El Monte. They've got the biggest selection. If you want the name of the internet mgr. I dealt with over there just pm me. Claremont Toyota also offered me $900 over invoice on any CrewMax on the lot; they just didn't have the color I wanted. I consider $900 over invoice "not bad", (but not great), but you might be able to do even better.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, salesmen will make great deals at the very end of the month to get their numbers for that month up or meet a quota. But they worry about it much less at the beginning of the month. Walking away from the table on the 28th of the month is much more effective than on the 3rd of the month.
Salesmen usually don't make the deals. Sales Managers tend to get aggressive, but if you had been on our lot Saturday you would have gotten a heck of a deal. Managers don't like to blank on a day so if its a slow day at the beginnning you can still get a deal.

·
Registered
256 Posts
LawyerRon,
Thanks for the response! I'll PM you for more information...

Thanks again,
Gary

·
Registered
70 Posts
Recently purchased a 5.7L SR5 Double Cab TRD 4X4 for Dealer Invoice + $300.00 + Tax, Title, and Lic. Dealer invoice reads as follows:

Base Model price +
Total Options
Destination Charge
TDA (Toyota Dealer Advertising)
Gasoline
Dealer Holdback
Whsl. financial Reserve

Total price minus TT&L was $3083.00 off of MSRP Window Sticker of 36388.00

1 - 16 of 16 Posts