Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Readylift Leveling Kit installed last week along with some Moto Metal 956 20x9 wheels and some 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers. When I picked my truck up it had a terrible sterring shimmy. I took it back the next day and after the tech had his smart comments about what was made to go on my truck he pulled the wheels off and rebalanced them. This helped tremendously and the shimmy has all but disappeared; however I still think it could be better. I know changing from factory wheels and tires to bigger can result in some changes but these are quality wheels and tires so they should be able to balance out and have a good ride. I changed the oil yesterday and noticed the sway bar link on the driver side seems to be bent. I also noticed the wheels seem to have positive camber. I noticed this at the tire dealership when it was lowered down off the lift. They said it was from extending the suspesion and would come out when the truck was driven. It did come out but still looks like postive camber to me.
1- Have you guys noticed a differnce in the sway bar links?-my right one appears to be bent
2-Have you notice a "positive camber look" with the Readylift Kit installed?
3- Any comments on the whole senario

I know this is alot to throw at you. Any help is most appreciated!

141-4111_IMG.jpg

141-4110_IMG.jpg

141-4112_IMG.jpg

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
The end link is clearly bent ( its $117.00 at the dealer ) and you most definately need to re-align the vehicle after the installation of the leveling kit. The tires can be defective, you need to watch the balance and make sure they balance out at zero zero. It sounds to me like you dont have a very nice tire dealer!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the dealer has been real good so far and they are working with me. They even offered to have them balanced at another reputable place at their expense. The tech that installed the kit and tires was the one with the comments. The guy that sold me the wheels and tires said not to pay any attention to him because he has a bad attitude. Could they have bent the link while installing the kit? I've never installed a kit like this one so I don't know the process. The truck was re-aligned but given how out of balance the tires were it makes me wonder about the alignment.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went by the dealer today and they are going to replace the sway bar link and work with me to get this resolved. I also figured out there is no differential drop down spacers. The dealer had another kit on site and it did not have the spacers in it either. They are contacting their distributor to see what the deal is and get some spacers on the way. The only issue not resolved is the positive camber issue yet. I discovered today that alot of the 07's are having issues wearing tires on the outside. Too much positive camber will definitley cause this. For some reason folks are having a hard time getting this resolved. Got this from the R&D guy at Readylift today. Anybody having issues with this?

·
Registered
240 Posts
before the lift, my coopers were wearing even.

After the lift, the outside of the tires are getting wore down a lot faster.

I got the alignment sheet after the original alignment and everything was put back to where they needed to be....or so I thought.

Will have them take a look at it again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hmmm, when I replaced my ragged trails, they had 27K on them, 25K of which was on the Readylift 2.4". They were worn on the inside shoulder, not outside shoulder. Just slightly, but noticable.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Man do I love when people know how to post decent pics....

I'd have to question the swaybar as well....
You can see how "they"...or someone... was using a good amount of hammer to get that link fitted...

Poor installer or poor product... I dunno... But if I saw some of that type of work on my rig, I'd most probably find myself in jail for beating his/her head in, like they beat on my truck...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I also just looked at your last pic.... I could be very wrong, but camber doesn't look that bad, but you've got alot of tow out....
Like I said... I could be very wrong, but that's what stood out to me, in that last picture...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's really hard to pick up the angle on camera. Since this started I've read about or talked to several people that are experiencing tire wear issues due to a poor alignment and most seem to be wearing the tires on the outside edge. The guy from Readylift said they had sold maybe 2000 Leveling Kits and had only had about 5 cases that were wearing the tires. I suspect there are more that never get to him because the kit should not be the issue in the first place. Several people on this forum have commented on this as well. Some have taken their trucks back only to be told the alignment is within specs. The only way to prove your case is when the tires start wearing. Tires are expensive so I want to resolve this before its starts to show. Do you think the shops are just doing poor alignment jobs or is their something funny with the specs?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It's really hard to pick up the angle on camera. Since this started I've read about or talked to several people that are experiencing tire wear issues due to a poor alignment and most seem to be wearing the tires on the outside edge. The guy from Readylift said they had sold maybe 2000 Leveling Kits and had only had about 5 cases that were wearing the tires. I suspect there are more that never get to him because the kit should not be the issue in the first place. Several people on this forum have commented on this as well. Some have taken their trucks back only to be told the alignment is within specs. The only way to prove your case is when the tires start wearing. Tires are expensive so I want to resolve this before its starts to show. Do you think the shops are just doing poor alignment jobs or is their something funny with the specs?
Ughhh... yeah... completely disregard the fact that they bent the extension... and probably your sway bar, while trying to fit their piece to stock specs...

Completely disregard that your rig is not right....

Completely disregard the beaten up components from either hammers or pry bars....

I wouldn't warranty sheet from your truck, after your installers beat the hell out of it... It should be bolt on...not beaten on to make it fit... I say it's a poor product... but the way your installers worked, I'd figure that you're pretty much screwed on all warranty aspects...

Grow some nutz, and put someone else's balls in the vice.... just my own opinion of course..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grow some nutz, and put someone else's balls in the vice.... just my own opinion of course..

Not sure what you mean by this comment? I'm not the only one with possible alignment issues. Some guys are experiencing these issues on a truck that is bone stock with no mods. In dealing with this it seems there may be an issue with the Tundras alignment-
specifically the 07's. The shop I'm dealing with has been understanding so far. They are going to replace the sway bar link, re-balance the tires, and explore the alignment to see if there is too much positive camber. The tires are definitely too far in on the bottom. The question is: Is it a poor alignment or another issue? I spoke with him today about what I had learned from individuals and from the forum. He was very receptive and willing to do what it takes to get my truck up to my standards.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You should always get your alignment done after a lift. The lift may affect your toe, caster, and camber. I would recommend you find a good custom alignment shop to get you're alignment done. The stock alignment specs are for stock vehicles, and may not be the most desirable for lifted trucks. I have an alignment shop around here I use and they don't just slap your truck in a rack and spec it in then wonder why it still shimmy's or pulls to the right, they will make sure it's done right and and leave you with alignment then works as it should. However they aren't cheap, it costs about $115 but is worth it IMO.

I don't understand why anyone would spend $230 on a spacer lift when you could get adjustable bilstein shocks for $97 each that are much better then the factory shocks.

The primary concern with spacer lifts is the fact that they decrease upward travel, which leads to broken struts when you bottom out (Because your shock bottoms out before you hit the bumpstops on the frame). You could very well end up with a shock that looks like DanielAcosta's stock shock:
OEM TRD Bilstein died after ~30K miles. - Photo Gallery

Bilstein has a good PDF explaining the disadvantages of spacer kits.
http://www.bilsteinus.com/leveling/ARTICLE.pdf

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Not sure what you mean by this comment? I'm not the only one with possible alignment issues. Some guys are experiencing these issues on a truck that is bone stock with no mods. In dealing with this it seems there may be an issue with the Tundras alignment-
specifically the 07's. The shop I'm dealing with has been understanding so far. They are going to replace the sway bar link, re-balance the tires, and explore the alignment to see if there is too much positive camber. The tires are definitely too far in on the bottom. The question is: Is it a poor alignment or another issue? I spoke with him today about what I had learned from individuals and from the forum. He was very receptive and willing to do what it takes to get my truck up to my standards.
I'm just saying that I don't like your install... It only makes sense that the truck isn't right... What they should have done was give up on a poor/defective product... And not beat it like they obviously did... But instead got a hold of the manufacturer...

I have the shimmies as well... But they're 22" on TRD wheels... Stock suspension... It goes away within 1 1/2 miles, once the tires warm up...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took my truck back yesterday and they replaced the sway bar link, re-balanced the tires, and re-checked the alignment. The alignment was in spec. I think he said it called for 1 degree of positve camber. They changed it to 0 degree (straight up) after telling them about what I had learned off the forum and other individuals with outside edge tire wear. The 0 degree is supposed to be still in spec. The truck rides smooth as butter!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Going in today to get my truck re-aligned...she started pulling left pretty bad after I hit a pot hole :(

I'll see if they can set it up like yours...maybe that will save the outside of my tires since I just had them rotated and now I'm ridin' the rears on the front.

Here is the alignment sheet from the dealer after they installed the readylift.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the Readylift on my 07 and diff drop. I am also wearing out brand new tires on the outside edges. Camber specs are within spec (just barely) but the alignment guy says there is not enough adjustment with the cams to get it ideal. Has anyone come across this, i really hate to ruin 2 sets of tires...

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I don't mean to burst your bubble but Harley Heaven you shouldn't have purchase a cheapo leveling kit. Bilstein 5100's or RCD lift. I had a similar problem with a trailmaster 2" spacer kit on my 00 tundra. Made popping noises every time I went over a speed bump or hit a pot hole, squeak at any type of angle the truck traveled over, Cv boots sprayed grease all over the place, ended up having to replace the factory struts at 130K , always had a shimmy with the lift. Ended up taking the lift off and sold it dirt cheap. Try $45 to some sucker. After all of this commotion I'll probably never lift another truck again or if I do I'll spend my money wisely on a better lift like the Bilstein 5100's or RCD.

Paid $125 for lift. $80 labor, 1" front differential drop $20, Factory Toyota strut spacers $110 (since I threw the original ones out) $80 labor, Gabriel front struts and Labor $250.

Grand Total $665!! I was going to need new struts eventually. But you can see how much $ it cost me to get the truck back to factory specs.

I don't have any squeaky suspension anymore and the truck is running just fine now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, this was a while ago? The dealer replaced the sway bar link and worked with me on the alignment. They had me bring it back in a couple times to check the tire wear. The alignment was within specs but the tires were wearing a little on the outside edge. They adjusted the camber a couple times and the tires are wearing fine. Still have them as a matter of fact. We have never been able to get the tires perfect but if you read through this thread or others you will see many have varying degrees of shimmy with stock and aftermarket wheels and tires? I usually get the fronts rebalanced at every rotation? I am considering trying a different brand whenever these wear out?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts