Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've picked up a 2010 4x4 TRD sr5 tundra with the 5.7 and an extang tonnea cover and have been amazed by the gas mileage that I'm getting and am wondering if it is going to head downhill as I get more miles on the truck.

So far I have about 1000 miles and I am averaging about 18.5mpg in mixed city/highway driving (70% highway). I have to say I am driving it like a sally in the city and am staying under 75 on the highway.

I switched from an F-150 and the sticker on that truck was 14c -18hw and the truck never got more than 14 no matter how I drove it.

What are others getting?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Prepare to be flamed. If you do not understand why, put 'gas mileage' into the search engine and you will see how many posts have come up about this.

I will go ahead and indulge and say I've gotten 18.7 but that was on a warm weather road trip, exclusively flat highway, cruise set just a tad under 65 mph, all situations planned carefully to minimize throttle application. I more frequently see high 13s in hard core mostly city driving to high 14s or 15 mixed if I can stay somewhat sane. I'm sure 16 would be doable in mixed driving if I had discipline. To anyone claiming 18 mpg -plus in mixed driving or well over 20 highway on a 5.7 DC or CM 4x4, I won't call you an outright liar but I'd love to know how this is calculated: Trip computer or by hand. If trip computer, is it reset with every fillup. Are you looking at the average readout or keeping your eye on the instantanous readout. What does city driving mean to you: stop-light to stop light in an urban area or rural one-lanes with a 45 or 50 mph speed limit for that 2 minutes it takes you to pass through the nearest villiage.

These trucks are capable of astonishing mileage, in highway driving, when driven gently. In alot of other situations I think people are not calculating the old fashioned way and it leads to discrepancies.

·
Ex-Mod
5,944 Posts
Its about time for this again... its been about a week or two...

:deadhorse:

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I was just thinking that I hadn't seen a new thread about MPG or largest tires on stock set up and voila, we got both this morning!

·
Registered
397 Posts
my feully...15-14. I do about 50/50 highway and street.

·
Registered
753 Posts
adding a cold air intake and a camper top will put you in the 26mpg range

-Tim

·
Registered
916 Posts
I know these threads are annoying, and I am partly ashamed for even responding, but I went on a 200 mile 1 way trip last week and averaged 18.75 mpg. I am VERY happy with that and was just looking for an excuse to brag about it!!!

I went to the beach, so the ground was pretty flat. Very few stop lights along the way, light traffic (but I did have to accelerate around some people) and averaged between 65 and 75 mph (about 10 mph over the max speed limit). I filled up just before I left and filled up just before I hit the beach town and calculated by hand. It was a 3 day trip, so no heavy bags, nothing in the bed. This was my first longer trip after having an exhaust, so I don't know if that helped or hurt. I have a 2010 Rock Warrior with the E range tires filled to about 50 psi.

My wife's camry gets 26 or 28 mpg.... but I personally think that almost 19 mpg while driving at a reasonable/realistic pace in a 5,000 lbs truck with almost 400hp is absolutely amazing. This truck replaced a much smaller SUV with a 265hp V6 that got no more than 16 mpg driving this route in the past.

Ok, sorry...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
flame on, I don't care......

I filled up this morning, 19.9 gallons - 372 miles on the odometer trip A, The trip guage by the clock has said .3-.4 less.

I'm impressed with the truck. I expected to be in the middle of the 13-17 bracket and am seeing better and was wondering when the bottom was going to drop out.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I get what it says on the window sticker.

·
Registered
753 Posts
flame on, I don't care......

I filled up this morning, 19.9 gallons - 372 miles on the odometer trip A, The trip guage by the clock has said .3-.4 less.

I'm impressed with the truck. I expected to be in the middle of the 13-17 bracket and am seeing better and was wondering when the bottom was going to drop out.
Hey lookie there... real world 5.7L gas mileage!

-Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went from socal to Reno nv and got 20.5 on the way up and 22.6 on the way back (that includes 3 hours of mountain driving each way). I think it depends on how you drive. I drive truck for a living and obey all speed limits. Still for this size truck and a half full bed (enough for a 7day trip with a family of 6) including a bbq for my cousin I was amazed. I average 17.5 to 18.5 in mixed driving and I coalculate fuel mileage the old fashion way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Over 20 MPG sounds like a lot of BS. Are you actually computing miles driven divided by the number of gallons you fill it up with (squeezing every drop in too, not letting the pump just "click" off)?

In 6 months of ownership and 11,000 miles driven, I have averaged 15-17 MPG.

·
Registered
133 Posts
16 is my average between a mix of city and highway, i have an app on my iphone that averages the fill ups and im getting 16, when do it out on paper its 15-18 ish...

·
Ex-Mod
5,944 Posts
I was just thinking that I hadn't seen a new thread about MPG or largest tires on stock set up and voila, we got both this morning!
I will have to admit that my first thread was the "largest tires on stock set up " and I got a mixed welcoming... gotta have tough skin around here!

I get 20mpg on the way to work and 6mpg on the way home :D

I can't wait for Barney to chime in!!!! :tank:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I WAS seeing decent mpg to for the 1st 200miles on the odom... then I added 6" of lift and 35x12.5 Toyo OC M/Ts... now I'm around 12.5 mixed. :( But the truck turns heads!! :D

David

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I will have to admit that my first thread was the "largest tires on stock set up " and I got a mixed welcoming... gotta have tough skin around here!

:devil:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

dont need to. its all been said already haha

1 - 20 of 72 Posts