Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you Tundra owners, let's here some of your "Real World Towing" adventures. Has anyone tried to tow 10,000 lbs yet??????

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Not yet, but i plan on it soon. B&W's hitch won't be here til mid-May. Gotta wait for it, then i'll be sure to let everyone in on the trip.

I did tow a 4000 lb trailer up a 6% grade & i had to let off the throttle halfway cause i was doing 80+. Shifted to 4th gear & finished the grade at 70mph.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'm pulling a double axle enclosed trailer weighing roughly 6000 lbs. daily with no problems at all. Merges into interstate traffic like a champ and pulls the trailer around town like its not even there. Actually pulls it better than my 6.0L 2500 Silverado did.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's great to here how well the Tundra is towing! I'll be towing a boat and trailer that has a combined weight of 10,200 lbs. I have the brake controller, tongue weight of 800 lbs, trailer is level and trailer tires inflated to max psi. I have towed this boat before with a F250 and Chevy 3500. I will let everyone know how the towing goes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's great to here how well the Tundra is towing! I'll be towing a boat and trailer that has a combined weight of 10,200 lbs. I have the brake controller, tongue weight of 800 lbs, trailer is level and trailer tires inflated to max psi. I have towed this boat before with a F250 and Chevy 3500. I will let everyone know how the towing goes.
Will you be trying this soon or do you need to wait for the weather to warm up a bit? My boat is on a lift but I keep debating whether I should get a trailer to haul it out during hurricane warnings. My boat with trailer probably has a similar weight to yours. I'm curious as to how the Tundra will handle the boat ramp when hauling this weight out of the water and up the ramp.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Like all you guys I read the reviews that salivated over the trucks tranny performance. There were a lot of glowing reports and big words used. It tells me one thing, they never hooked anything up to it!

I tow a 3860# trailer, light compared to what you are asking about. The truck handles well pulling it. It pulls it easily. It brakes well. It's not all roses though.

The "artificial intelligence" that controlls the transmission could use some work in my opinion. It doesn't take anything and the torque converter unlocks and adds about 350 rpm to the engine speed. Very quickly after that the truck will down shift, sometimes twice. 65 mph is about 3150 RPM in 4th, it over 4000 RPM if it goes to 3rd.

The computer won't let the engine lug or pull, it immediately instructs the tranny to give more RPM. My other trucks would let the engine do the work most of the time. If I was too happy with my right foot it would shift. But those trucks would still be pulling less RPM after a down shift than this one.

Another very annoying trait of my truck is "sticking" in 4th gear. This has nothing to do with the engine temp either, it's up to full operating temperature. It mainly happens while pulling the trailer, but does occur when empty as well. I've found myself revving my engine in 4th at a steady pace, letting off the gas won't allow it upshift. I have to select "S" and bump the shifter up twice to get it into 6th.

My trailer is light and should not be that hard for this 381 HP/401 TQ engine to pull with 4.30 gears. I believe it's the computer's control of the tranny that is giving me such horrible mileage when towing. The last two times out were 8.46 and 8.00 MPG. That is shameful. I can't imagine what you guys are going to get pulling 10,000 pounds? It can't be good!

The fix is probably just a computer tweak away. Make the "artificial intelligence" a little less intelligent! Even better yet, give me more control of gear selection while in sequential shift, "S".

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well..not 10,000 lbs but my travel trailer weighs it at just over 6,200 lbs and it towed it very well. There were even a couple of 6% grades and it went right up em' no problem at all. It was nice to be the the guy that has to slow down for slower traffic instead of the guy who is the slower traffic :D

Bill

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW, mln do you sound disgruntled. If the truck gave you some oral would you still complain about it??

Sorry that you hate your truck, but your like a broken record.

Anyways Truck Trend found the Tundra to get better gas mileage than the GMC 6.0L and tow better.

I do appreciate the feed back from all. I'll be towing the boat soon enough and will post my results!! Anyone that has towed big loads knows it's challenging for any 1/2 ton truck

Can't say enough on how happy I'm with this truck. Friends, family and co-workers that I have let drive the truck are totally impressed with the truck.

Even my union co-workers like the truck, now that's saying something!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just a note, isn't the transmission controlled by a computer that determines shift points based on drivers input? Maybe the computer is just trying to piss him off cuz all he does is complain about it......:p

·
Registered
42 Posts
My friend you should thank the moderator of this forum for his tolerance. Personally I think you may want to move over to buyers remorse forum or better yet get on the classified ad forum, sell that truck and buy whatever 3/4 ton truck you think you should of bought in the first place. With Toyotas resale value you should be ok as long as you don't do too much talking to the potential buyer!

·
Registered
595 Posts
You guys are killing me. I think you will see I said that it will pull and pull well. I do think the computer is keeping the engine from using all the wonderful torque that is available down low.

You guys need to just chill out and stop thinking everyone is trying to dis your favorite truck. You guys are on the defensive and are reading way too much into my post. Seriously, I made comments on what I thought was keeping the truck from performing like I think it should. I didn't call it any bad names or say I hated it it.

John, wolfie, tundra, have any of you guys even pulled anything with your trucks that are big, bulky and heavy? Once you do you will see what I'm talking about. Really, I haven't made anything up. You'll see soon enough. I explained what I have experienced. I tow about 2 weekends a month so I have a pretty good idea of what this truck acts like compared to others I've owned.

John, I am the moderator of another forum (not truck related). I know you would love to see me go because I don't love 100% of my truck and will speak my mind of what I don't like. No forum I've been to or moderate throws you out for having an opinion.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Like all you guys I read the reviews that salivated over the trucks tranny performance. There were a lot of glowing reports and big words used. It tells me one thing, they never hooked anything up to it!

I tow a 3860# trailer, light compared to what you are asking about. The truck handles well pulling it. It pulls it easily. It brakes well. It's not all roses though.

The "artificial intelligence" that controlls the transmission could use some work in my opinion. It doesn't take anything and the torque converter unlocks and adds about 350 rpm to the engine speed. Very quickly after that the truck will down shift, sometimes twice. 65 mph is about 3150 RPM in 4th, it over 4000 RPM if it goes to 3rd.

The computer won't let the engine lug or pull, it immediately instructs the tranny to give more RPM. My other trucks would let the engine do the work most of the time. If I was too happy with my right foot it would shift. But those trucks would still be pulling less RPM after a down shift than this one.

Another very annoying trait of my truck is "sticking" in 4th gear. This has nothing to do with the engine temp either, it's up to full operating temperature. It mainly happens while pulling the trailer, but does occur when empty as well. I've found myself revving my engine in 4th at a steady pace, letting off the gas won't allow it upshift. I have to select "S" and bump the shifter up twice to get it into 6th.

My trailer is light and should not be that hard for this 381 HP/401 TQ engine to pull with 4.30 gears. I believe it's the computer's control of the tranny that is giving me such horrible mileage when towing. The last two times out were 8.46 and 8.00 MPG. That is shameful. I can't imagine what you guys are going to get pulling 10,000 pounds? It can't be good!

The fix is probably just a computer tweak away. Make the "artificial intelligence" a little less intelligent! Even better yet, give me more control of gear selection while in sequential shift, "S".
I did notice ( WITH THE CRUISE SET) that it will shift into 3rd on a hill. However, all my toyota's have been quick to downshift while in cruise control. Can't say that about my 2000 gmc van though, he!!, it won't downshift at all with the cruise set.
Yes, you have the torque converter when you are in drive, 5th, or 6th. As both 5th & 6th are overdrive gears. I like the torque converter myself.
Mine has never stuck in 4th gear, unless pulling & it senses that 4th is the proper gear to be in.
Yeah, your poor mileage could be due to you setting the cruise? I pulled the same weight trailer as you (haulmark 16' loaded) up a few 6%+ grades plus several other mountain passes & i got 10.5-11 mpg. I used sequential quite a bit while towing. Plus i never allow the computer to shift for me all the time, i simply feather the throttle & control all the shifting manually.
But, i do accept the fact that with a 6-speed it will shift quite a bit more than the typical 4-speed. That's okay.
But, i only use the cruise while on the flat while towing.

Comments?

·
Registered
87 Posts
You guys are killing me... I know you would love to see me go because I don't love 100% of my truck and will speak my mind of what I don't like. No forum I've been to or moderate throws you out for having an opinion.
It's hard to sit on the sidelines and watch people like MLN take this kind of criticism. In fact, if anyone were to browse all of MLN's posts you will see that they are more intelligently composed, honest opinions than most. Isn't that what every is looking for on this forum? Although posts that put the Tundra on a pedestal are comforting, I personally would hate to make an important decision based on incorrect or skewed information that I read here.

I've had no issues with my new Tundra and I am very happy with my purchase but I always look forward to see what MLN has to say because more times than not his posts have pretty good value, regardless of whether he talks about a solution or a problem.

I would be dissappointed if MLN et al are intimidated away from this board, just as I am dissappointed that MLN was intimidated enough to change his signature. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and that is exactly what gives forums like this their value.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I've been reading about the tow performance on Aistreamforums.com. I am interested in getting a 28ft Airstream in the future (7300lbs). One guy said his wife pulled their 25 footer fine, the 25' and 28' trailers weigh the same but the 28' has 100lbs more tongue weight. There are people there who are skpetical about the tow rating.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I would be dissappointed if MLN et al are intimidated away from this board, just as I am dissappointed that MLN was intimidated enough to change his signature. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and that is exactly what gives forums like this their value.
JB

No one intimidated me into changing anything. I changed it out of sarcasm. I'm waiting to read all the posts of how I'm a Lemming now. Apparently there are very few people left in this world that can make a decision on their own these days.

My post of the tranny operation is exactly how my truck works. Period. Those who think I'm making this up to make Toyota look bad are welcome to come tow my trailer and tell me differently (after you've pulled it with mine and YOUR 5.7L Tundra). Then we can compare some other things too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
mln,
I'm curious if you have towed with and without the "tow/haul" mode engaged? If so, was there a significant difference? I don't tow very often, and haven't had my truck long enough to have much experience with it yet.

My previous truck was a GMC Yukon that was also equipped with a "tow/haul" mode. Engaged, it kept the transmission in each lower gear longer, and made it more reluctant to downshift from 4th (high) gear. I found that to be more of a nusiance than the more frequent downshift if I left the tow/haul "off". A lot of my towing was pulling a bass boat (about 3500#) on hilly two-lane roads in the middle of the Ozarks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Bob

I'm very familiar with the GM "tow/haul" mode. My last truck had more trailer pulling miles than it did without a trailer.

My trailer, like yours doesn't really weigh much. Mine, an enclosed motorcycle trailer, has much more aerodynamic drag than your boat. That said, I rarely used the tow/haul mode on my Silverado. It just wasn't needed for such a light trailer on the open road. I did use it occasionally when I was towing in town a lot. GM said to use it if you exceeded 75% of your towing capacity.

I tow the same way (same trailer) with the Tundra, tow/haul off. I've found no advantage to it as the truck has more than enough power to pull the trailer. I played with it and see no difference in operation. It may be that the trailer isn't heavy enough to make the truck act any different? Toyota doesn't give a magic number as to when you should use T/H mode, just states when near capacity (or something to that effect, I don't have the manual handy).

I would suggest trying both ways, it won't hurt anything. I'd like to hear if you find any appreciable difference. I suspect you will tow with the T/H mode off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My main concern with towing is the yawing/swaying of the truck around 55 mph. The tranny shifting is easy to correct, use the sequential shift option the truck came with, that's what it's there for. Driving style also has alot to due with tranny shifting action

As far as pulling the boat out of the launch, no problem. We pulled a buddies 13000 lbs boat out with a 2005 F150. The launches we use are not steep at all. Let me tell you though, the 13000 lbs boat threw that truck all over the road at 55mph. I know, I know 13000 lbs was way over the capacity of that truck.

How does the Tundra track at high speeds while towing??

MLN, I see your are or were a GM owner. I looked at them and that would be my second choice truck. Nice truck. I still think you have a negative agenda towards the Tundra. Some people see a cup half full and others see the cup half empty. THERE IS NO PERFECT TRUCK OUT THERE. Not Toyota, not chevy, not ford, not nissan and not dodge.

A lot people on this site work very hard to afford a great truck like the tundra, why rain on there parade! Unless your really a troll and a GM die-hard just out to spread lies and rumors.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I did notice ( WITH THE CRUISE SET) that it will shift into 3rd on a hill. However, all my toyota's have been quick to downshift while in cruise control. Can't say that about my 2000 gmc van though, he!!, it won't downshift at all with the cruise set.
Yes, you have the torque converter when you are in drive, 5th, or 6th. As both 5th & 6th are overdrive gears. I like the torque converter myself.
Mine has never stuck in 4th gear, unless pulling & it senses that 4th is the proper gear to be in.
Yeah, your poor mileage could be due to you setting the cruise? I pulled the same weight trailer as you (haulmark 16' loaded) up a few 6%+ grades plus several other mountain passes & i got 10.5-11 mpg. I used sequential quite a bit while towing. Plus i never allow the computer to shift for me all the time, i simply feather the throttle & control all the shifting manually.
But, i do accept the fact that with a 6-speed it will shift quite a bit more than the typical 4-speed. That's okay.
But, i only use the cruise while on the flat while towing.

Comments?
I just noticed this, sorry. We may have the same Hallmark trailer (7x7x16). Mine is not a "V" nose trailer, is yours?

I usually don't set the cruise while towing unless I'm on a long flat stretch. I feel I do a better job "hand flying" it than the computer. I can anticipate hills and get a little smash on my side. Then I can let it slow a bit and avoid the big shifts, like those to 3rd.

I pretty much have to leave mine in "Seq" when towing or it will stay in 4th a lot. If the artificial intelligence (Toyota's words; not mine) holds it to 4th in "D", I don't understand why the same artificial intelligence will allow it to up-shift in "S"? I would have thought the opposite. Like I said in another post. My tranny acts like it is installed in a sports car and not a truck.

This truck has way more torque available at a much wider spread than your old van or my old truck. I don't understand why Toyota didn't program the transmission to take advantage of that? If the old Chevy could pull the same hills in top gear (roughly the same RPM and speed) with 335 ft/pds torque the Tundra with 401 ft/pds should easily perform the same.

I feel that the transmission programming is the cause of my poor fuel mileage when towing. It's nearly impossible for me to keep the RPMs under 2000. It seems it shifts or unlocks the converter at the thought of a hill or headwind. I'd dare to say that most of the time it could easily pull 6th if the same ratios were used in a 6-speed manual, at most it would need to drop to 5th.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I just noticed this, sorry. We may have the same Hallmark trailer (7x7x16). Mine is not a "V" nose trailer, is yours?

I usually don't set the cruise while towing unless I'm on a long flat stretch. I feel I do a better job "hand flying" it than the computer. I can anticipate hills and get a little smash on my side. Then I can let it slow a bit and avoid the big shifts, like those to 3rd.

I pretty much have to leave mine in "Seq" when towing or it will stay in 4th a lot. If the artificial intelligence (Toyota's words; not mine) holds it to 4th in "D", I don't understand why the same artificial intelligence will allow it to up-shift in "S"? I would have thought the opposite. Like I said in another post. My tranny acts like it is installed in a sports car and not a truck.

This truck has way more torque available at a much wider spread than your old van or my old truck. I don't understand why Toyota didn't program the transmission to take advantage of that? If the old Chevy could pull the same hills in top gear (roughly the same RPM and speed) with 335 ft/pds torque the Tundra with 401 ft/pds should easily perform the same.

I feel that the transmission programming is the cause of my poor fuel mileage when towing. It's nearly impossible for me to keep the RPMs under 2000. It seems it shifts or unlocks the converter at the thought of a hill or headwind. I'd dare to say that most of the time it could easily pull 6th if the same ratios were used in a 6-speed manual, at most it would need to drop to 5th.
No, it's the flatnose. Do you tow in tow-haul mode all the time?
I did not use this function when i towed that trailer. If i was doing a lot of towing in town, then i think i would like it. I don't know if i'll hurt the tranny or not, wouldn't think so.
I got 10.5-11 mpg towing same weight & not in tow-haul mode with several hills to climb. I have magnaflow 3" exhaust & afe drop in filter. And my elevation is around 4600'.
I think using the tow-haul mode will get you less mpg, because it would be TOO eager to downshift. Dunno.....i haven't towed a lot with my truck yet, you have though.
The tow-haul mode just doesn't excite me too much. But after i use it, i might like it. Dunno...

Comments anyone?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts