Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes 02 2WD Sequoia is making a horrible screeching noise from the right rear. I have ruled out the disk brake pads, and the parking brake assembly so I'm thinking the bearings are shot.

How difficult is it to pull the axle and replace the bearings? I found some info and it said you need a press. If I had a cheap floor standing press from Harbor Frt would that give me what I need.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i was doing a little more research and it looks like RockAuto sells the rear hub assembly for $180 which I'm assuming doesn't require a press. I can just pull the axle and remove the bearing assembly and replace it with the new one and bolt it all up again. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
67 Posts
A press and a special adapter. I just had one done on my 04 4runner, Right rear. Basicly the same axle design. It must be pressed off and back on. Search ebay for a Sequoia factory service manual on CD. They can usually be found for $10. It will show the special tool required. A good dedicated toyota mechanic will have this Special tool since it is used across many models. You might be had to find a good machine shop to press it off and on, but you risk damaging the axle shaft without the special adapter. Good luck..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts