Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, initially I had grease running onto both my rear wheels. I checked my diff vent and it was rusted shut. Was able to free that up and blow thru it. So, I replaced the shoes and cleaned everything up and they started leaking again. At this point I decided to replace seals and bearings because I had a separate issue with a noise in the rear end. 7 hours later all is back together cleaned up and the noise is gone. Took the truck to work today and now my right rear is leaking again. Getting pretty tired of this. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Did you use a seal driver? They’re pretty easy to bend, and if you bend them at all, they’re done for. I would go get oem seals as well, don’t know if you did or not. I don’t remember the name on the oem seal but it’s gonna be better than what you’ll get at a parts store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Common cause after a seal replacement is the placement of the seal into the housing or the collar placement on the axle shaft. The seal rides on the collar that is pressed onto the axle shaft. If the seal is not sitting on the collar, it will cause the leak. If you have ABS, remove the ABS sensor on the side that's leaking and see if you can visually see the seal coming into contact with the collar. If you can't, you'll need to pull the axle shaft out enough to add grease to the collar. Insert the axle shaft back in, bolt it down and spin the axle shaft. Remove it again to see if the grease you applied onto the collar shows signs of the seal rubbing. To visually help, after applying grease, draw some perpendicular lines. When you spin the axle shaft and inspect it later, the lines should be smeared.

If that all pans outs, could be a bad seal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts