Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 Tundra 2WD: heres the problem

Truck was riding smooth as glass. Took in to have rotated and balanced at 5000 miles on new tires. When I drove off I noticed a bounce that was terrible when braking and pulsating in pedal. Immediately took it back and they drove and turned the rear drums. Drove off and still had the same problem. Took to another mechanic w/ brembo rotors and they installed new rotors. Still had same problem. Next they replaced rear drums. Same problem. Next they measured w/ dial to see if axle was warped. That was not the problem. Next they put front tires on rear to see if it still vibrated and pulsated. Same problem. they have ordered new drums to see if other new ones were out of round. I hardly believe so because the problem was already there. Any suggestions before I go broke on troubleshooting.

·
Registered
564 Posts
There's a "paper" gasket that usually sits between the drum and rim so that they wont rust themselves together but if this gasket is torn when removing the rims, you can have half on the drum and the other half on the rim. Replacing or turning the drums wont remove the gasket material from the rim. Remove each rim and make sure no gasket material is on there. Did they measure run-out on the drums??

Drum run-out doesn't give nearly as much feedback as rotor run-out so more run-out is acceptable in drums than rotors. Check run-out for both rotors and drums. There are a lot of possibilities here since you didn't do the work yourself. If the tire guys used a powerful impact gun and weren't careful they could bend a rim, rotor, or drum.

When i had to replace my drums due to warpage, i figured it was solely the drums producing the vibration and simply got new drums since the shoes still had plenty of material left. Got the new drums installed, worse vibration. Took 'em back, they turned them to true 'em up and after taking to the guy there he asked if i replaced the shoes and i said no. He highly recommended replacing the shoes also so figured they were cheap enough and i was gonna be in the drums anyway so i got new shoes. After everything was put together, it was stopping smooth as silk. You'll have to go through every component to find out where the problem lies.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts